What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Chippy had his times but he never went as low as these snakes and vipers we have now supposedly writing for our game. What a bunch of lying sacks of shit.

Hello, what's your job?

Oh, just to write anything but the truth on behalf of our overlord Sir Rupes in one of his 10,000 newspapers. It doesn't matter if it's not the truth now or the truth 5 minutes ago because in 20 years time, it will be your official truth, your history so suck it up bottom feeder as there is nothing you can possibly do about it.

*Just wondering if I should check my blood type before hitting submit, don't wanna piss the old shapeshifter off too much, it may be on the look out for a new liver or set of lungs :crazy:

cleary89

Coach
Yeh roy doesnt have any inside knowledge. Just pulling some pretty common figures that people have come up with. But at least he's running with that unlike news who just continue to bs.

siv

First Grade
Anyway News Ltd have gone quiet again

And draw is due out soon for 2016

More dealing going on behind closed doors again

Last Week

Bench
Nothing Masters has written or said convinces me he has close knowledge of the negotiations.

News Ltd. have been successful in stirring the pot over the last few days and pressured Fairfax to drop possible figures and outcomes.

News are trying to build expectations of an imminent deal. Which is something they need, but we are not entirely sure that's what the NRL wants. This could possibly lead to a new narrative they will run with if it does not happen I.e 'NRL and Grant cause breakdown in negotiations, club warlords not happy'.

This. So much this. They're predictable.

Last Week

Bench
I just hope that the commission make News pay a price for all the anti NRL rhetoric that has come from them of late

They won't. That is the business model for News. The ARLC won't be dictating to them on how they report. Not without a price, and that's what the News negotiators will be doing. 'You want better reporting from us? Well, that'll mean we pay less for the rights.'

The commission don't need News to change their tune. Their coverage doesn't make a big difference to the game. And it's a dying breed.

BlueandGold

Juniors
The NRL has Fox were they want them, now just let time go by and watch them unravel.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...to-break-impasse/story-e6frg996-1227610080801

News Corp and Nine Entertainment Company are expected to hold a closed-door meeting involving senior management within weeks as they seek to break the impasse on the National Rugby League’s sports broadcasting rights deal. Despite suggestions News Corp’s subsidiary Fox Sports was close to clinching an agreement for the pay-TV rights with the NRL as soon as this week, the two sides remained a long way from signing a contract, sources said.
Under a proposed scenario, league fans would have *access to two live Friday night games with Fox Sports broadcasting a 6pm Friday night game staged in Auckland, Brisbane or Townsville.
And free-to-air broadcaster Nine would televise an 8pm game on the same evening, helping to deliver the NRL a $1.85 billion payday.
The deal, which would hand Fox Sports five live games, is contingent on Nine surrendering its Saturday prime-time game to Fox for about $30 million a year, or $150m over five years.
Nine is said to be more than willing to offload the match to reduce hefty annual payments by $55m a year to $130m.
Nine could also raise an additional $25m by selling simulcast rights to Fox Sports.
Although sources at Nine claim newly installed chief executive Hugh Marks is under no immediate pressure to cut costs amid persistently soft conditions in the advertising market, the company is said to be keen to reduce its massive outlay on NRL matches. Asked by The Australian if he was open to doing a deal, Mr Marks said on Friday in his first round of media interviews: “I think, as we said at the time, we’re really happy with the rights that we’ve got, so at the moment that’s where we sit.”
Pressed on whether Nine needed to cut the costs of the contract signed in August, Mr Marks said: “Not if we’re happy with the deal we’ve got.
“I think we’re really happy with the value of that sport to our franchise ... and having the consistency of that Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday in your schedule, as I look forward into the future of TV — that’s incredibly valuable.” :lol:

One potential sticking point is the quality of the game that Nine would sell. The broadcaster secured the best four matches of the round and may not wish to lose the top picks. Bullshit :lol:

Any move to hand the Saturday match back to Fox Sports, which holds the existing rights under the 2012-17 contract, needs Nine to sell the wholesale rights back to the NRL, which gave them away in the new contract. :p

It’s understood the NRL has not yet engaged Nine in talks, although the network has sent strong signals it wishes to go back to the drawing board.
Before resigning last week, former Nine chief David Gyngell held informal talks with News Corp, knowing that if its unit Fox Sports does not strike an agreement with the NRL that brings the price close to the $1.85 billion mark, Nine’s contract will start to come under close scrutiny from the clubs.
It’s the latest twist in a high- stakes sports broadcasting market more in keeping with the drama seen in off-season player trades. For the NRL, the deal was originally considered a good result but it alienated Fox and was later trumped by the AFL, which *secured $2.5bn over six years.
The massive gap in value *between AFL and NRL rights, as well as growing tension with News Corp, led to former NRL chief executive David Smith’s resignation last month.

Last edited:

BlueandGold

Juniors
9 Knows how important NRL is to there business model, when are you going to realize this new reality Mr Patrick Delany.

But that’s what viewers want,” he said. “Content has multiple channels to market.”On suggestions that Nine may give up its rights to a Saturday night rugby league game it recently agreed to as part of a $925 million deal with the NRL, Marks is coy, stating that it is “early days”.
“I can say one thing with confidence — we are extremely happy with the rights we have at the moment,” he said. “I would never say never to anything but those rights bring long-term shareholder value to this business.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...ning-the-network/story-fni0cx12-1227609918187

The NRL has got News by the balls.....:lol::lol::lol:

elbusto

Coach
If you cut all of the news limited propaganda out of thst article then yes we are squeezing their testicles slowly but surely.

RoosTah

Juniors
The NRL has Fox were they want them, now just let time go by and watch them unravel.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...to-break-impasse/story-e6frg996-1227610080801

Good to see they're at least finally admitting that the NRL aren't about to sign a contract with them, but you've got to laugh with them claiming channel 9 are keen to offload their NRL content and virtually in the same breath quoting Marks saying ?I think we?re really happy with the value of that sport to our franchise ... and having the consistency of that Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday in your schedule, as I look forward into the future of TV ? that?s incredibly valuable.?

Just hilarious.

insert.pause

First Grade
Good to see they're at least finally admitting that the NRL aren't about to sign a contract with them, but you've got to laugh with them claiming channel 9 are keen to offload their NRL content and virtually in the same breath quoting Marks saying “I think we’re really happy with the value of that sport to our franchise ... and having the consistency of that Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday in your schedule, as I look forward into the future of TV — that’s incredibly valuable.”

Just hilarious.

It's Darren Davidson, he can't write for shit. Here's a couple of the classics;

Asked if he was a seller, Mr Gyngell told The Australian: “We don’t want to sell anything, and we’re very happy with what we’ve bought. We think it’s the best deal for Nine.”
This is significant because it shows Mr Gyngell appears willing to offload one of his four prime- time matches to defray high costs, and eliminate the burden of having too many NRL matches on Nine’s primary channel, putting a squeeze on scarce inventory.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...l-game-from-nine/story-e6frg996-1227495525671

My personal favourite,

A day before publication, Telstra officials declined to comment in response to repeated requests. But late on Monday, they broke their silence, issuing a statement that was carefully worded so as to not rule out the termination of the sponsorship agreement.

“Reports that Telstra is looking to not renew our NRL naming rights are untrue,” the statement said. “We are proud of what we have built with the NRL to date and are in negotiations to continue our partnership beyond 2017. We are unable to comment further as negotiations are ongoing.”

http://m.theaustralian.com.au/busin...streaming-rights/story-fn91v9q3-1227500325025

RoosTah

Juniors
^
Wow... What.The.f**k.

That's such poorly executed "spin" I'm not sure it even qualifies as spin. It's just some idiot who reads like he struggles with comprehension of the quotes in his own articles.

docbrown

Coach
In the words of Eddie Murphy, the NRL have got this mother f**ker now.

That Australian article is the first News Corp spin piece (unless I missed one, which is unlikely) which has admitted that Fox can only get the Saturday game with the NRL's approval - although the article itself is trying to make out as if 9 & Fox can sort it out on their own.

That's a major slip up but hopefully, as I've been saying for a while now, maybe even the doubters can start to see the safety net the NRL has put in place for these negotiations.

insert.pause

First Grade
That Australian article is the first News Corp spin piece (unless I missed one, which is unlikely) which has admitted that Fox can only get the Saturday game with the NRL's approval - although the article itself is trying to make out as if 9 & Fox can sort it out on their own.

That's a major slip up but hopefully, as I've been saying for a while now, maybe even the doubters can start to see the safety net the NRL has put in place for these negotiations.

it's starting to look orchestrated by the NRL & Nine.

docbrown

Coach
it's starting to look orchestrated by the NRL & Nine.

They undoubtedly both knew that it was a win-win position.

It could be said that they underestimated the scale of the News spilt milk reaction but that will be mostly forgotten after they sign the final contract.

Most of the News nonsense is just BS and idle threats. It has little impact in the real world. It's true that you should never pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel. But it's also true that News pays for the same amount of ink regardless of what story they run. Of course they'll have a rant when it doesn't cost them anything extra -- but when it starts to hurt the hip pocket (like losing or having to pay extra for a broadcast deal), you'll see them quietly change tact...

Three or four years after this final deal is signed, only a handful of people will remember the $1.4 billion valuation or the 6pm game or the silly threats etc. News might have won a few of the daily battles for the hearts and minds of stupid people but they risk losing the war.

Last edited:

Latest posts