What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarryd Hayne buggers off from NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartman

Immortal
Jarryd's next sporting "journey"...?

11914905233_b9c3e92ed9_m.jpg

Gronk

Staff member
JARRYD Hayne’s manager, Wayne Beavis, says he spoke to the former league superstar on Thursday and that Hayne was adamant he would be having another crack at the NFL next year.

RLW asked Beavis to address reports that Hayne was likely to return to the NRL next season and that Sydney Roosters and Penrith were set to engage in a bidding war for him.

“I spoke to him this afternoon. The conversation about him coming home has never taken place,” Beavis says. “Every club is ringing me up saying ‘if he comes home, we’re interested’. That’s only natural. It doesn’t mean he’s coming back.

“Clubs say to me ‘listen, if anything happens, keep us in mind’, and that’s coming from plenty of clubs in the NRL. But that’s the extent of all the activity. He’s staying over there.”

After playing in the first six rounds for San Francisco 49ers, Hayne was cut from the 53-man roster and put on waivers by the club. But when no other club picked him up, the 49ers installed him on their practice squad.

It appears very unlikely he will make it back on the main roster this season, but the 49ers are presumably serious about improving Hayne’s skills to the point where he could compete for a spot on the roster for next season.

There are no official trial games for next season until August, but there are off-season workouts and training camps spread over several months before that which Hayne, as a fringe player, would need to be involved in if he hoped to get back in.

He couldn’t realistically aim to return to the NRL and then go back to the NFL in the same year.

Asked specifically whether Hayne intended to go again in the NFL regardless of how this season finishes for him, Beavis replies: “He told me this afternoon he’s definitely staying. That’s it, end of story. There isn’t a decision to make, that’s what he’s telling me.

“And let me say this, if Jarryd were to come home at any stage, then if and when he comes home it’ll be a decision he takes, not one that I recommend, not one that someone in the media makes. It will be one that he will take himself. But he told me he’s staying. Nothing’s changed.

“Honestly, we have never, ever had a discussion about a plan B.”

Asked if Hayne is bothered by the idea of not playing meaningful football for a long stretch of time while he tries to keep his NFL dream alive, Beavis says: “No, not really, I don’t think so. It’s something that he wanted to pursue and he’s going to do it, you know. I think he was always going to stick it out, he’s a proud person. He signed a three-year deal.”

Beavis says he believes the 49ers want to persevere with Hayne or they wouldn’t have bothered to bring him back on the practice squad.

“One hundred per cent,” Beavis says. “It happens every day over there. There’s thousands of them getting dropped out of squads. Even (Colin) Kaepernick (the 49ers quarterback) got dropped out of the main team and he’s on $126 million!”

The last round of the NFL regular season is not until the first week of January. Beavis said he expected to see Hayne back in Sydney for a break after that.

“When I spoke to him today he told me he’s staying and I said I’ll see you after Christmas,” Beavis says.
http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/haynes-manager-addresses-nrl-return-reports/

Snoochies

First Grade
Yeah but when Jarryd has a coffee at Bondi over Christmas it will obviously mean he's becoming a Rooster. Slothfield will be onto it I assure you.

Journos have the best job, make up crap, no accountability and get payed for generating clicks on a news article.

emjaycee

Coach
Asked if Hayne is bothered by the idea of not playing meaningful football for a long stretch of time while he tries to keep his NFL dream alive, Beavis says: “No, not really, I don’t think so. It’s something that he wanted to pursue and he’s going to do it, you know. I think he was always going to stick it out, he’s a proud person. He signed a three-year deal.”

Ahem... not the first time he signed a three year deal.

Avenger

Immortal
49ers might want to keep their property - their lawyers would be able to enforce things better than many others.

Of course, they waived him, so that 3 year deal is gone, no?

I'm sorry but is he really going to risk just training until August next year and possibly try and make the 53 man squad again? By then the 49ers will have a new coach, new ideas and a 28 year old rookie will be a risk. Not much upside there IMHO. All good to chase your dreams and shit but I just shake my head.

guruminga

Juniors
Sport: Jarryd Hayne not planning to return to NRL, says agent
http://ab.co/1MqpZZp

What's interesting about this report is that finally they've mentioned at the bottom that Hayne is reported to have signed a lifetime deal with The Eels. I know he's not coming back at this stage, and wouldn't expect him to. He's definitely committed to giving this dream a crack, which I admire. Had he come straight back when it got a little tough, I would have been annoyed. But maybe we won't have to watch him suit up against us.

G

Fanbase

Juniors
Waste of a talent in rugby league. Can not see him cracking NFL now but he is probably too stubbon to realise it. Ah well that is just the way he is.

strider

Post Whore
weird ass fkn training drill .... hand off to the RB then get a 2nd ball and throw it ..... maybe that's the 49ers new innovation to try and win a few games - multi-ball!!!!

emjaycee

Coach
Jarryd Hayne has today responded to the question of whether he plans to return to the NRL with the comment "that is a really stupid question".

Since he was dropped from the 49ers starting squad of 53 there has been increased interest in him from a number of NRL teams and it was reported earlier this week that the Roosters, Panthers and Knights see themselves as front runners should Hayne decide to return.

When asked about his role in the practice squad for the San Francisco franchise, Hayne claimed that one role they have him playing (safety) "is not his thing" which leads to the question of how long he will be satisfied on the practice squad.

Although Wayne Beavis, Haynes Sydney based manager stated on Thursday that he has not spoken to Jarryd about an early return, emjaycee.imagination.com understands that this wouldn't be as far fetched as some would believe.

Source: emjaycee.imagination.com

bartman

Immortal
Never. Coming. Back.

Especilly not now - Jarryd's cranky with media speculation linking him to a return, which means he'll be watched like a hawk during his Christmas visit home.

To try and come back to NRL in 2016 would now "seem" a backdown, in light of the media reports, a loss of invaluable PR from Hayne's American Dream (TM). He now has to see it out on the practice squad and try again to get a contract in August 2016, and can only "safely" (in a PR sense) return to league in 2017.

(But I think he'lll chase the coin/challenge in French or Japanese Rugby Union from late 2016 anyway.)

Status
Not open for further replies.