What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Brown announced as coach

Whats Doing

Bench
Not knowing the current situation but having dealt with Smilesy before, he is a very sharp operator. Shame to see him go and hope it is not to make changes for change sake.

perverse

Referee
But under the restructure of football operations, it is understood he has been offered a new job description that will largely revolve around recruitment and retention.
Yep, that's what he's good at alright.

Scaling back his role can't be a bad thing, though. Turfing him altogether would be ideal. I don't know why we can't seem to rid the club of him... he just keeps coming back.

PhilGould

Bench
"Another possible outcome is the appointment of former Knights, Parramatta, Melbourne, Warriors and Brisbane back-rower Todd Lowrie in a coaching role.

Lowrie, 32, has signed a playing contract with Newcastle for next season, but the Herald has been told he has spoken to Brown about retiring.

A veteran of 202 NRL games, the Scone Thoroughbreds junior did not play a top-grade game for Brisbane in 2015, spending the season with their feeder club, Norths Devils.

It is understood he has been sounded out about coaching Newcastle’s under-20s."

KAB

Juniors
Jobs for the boys
Well most new head coaches bring in their own personal, people they feel they can trust. So what's happening with Warren Smales is that true, then Troy Pezet needs to be tapped, if Hagan is being flicked. To be honest with the talent the 20's had they should have been in the finals. They under performed straight out. A big disappointment.
It was great to see the Cup side win, but fair go the NRL squad last, so are they classified as res graders.
Some people say the Newcastle hunter valley region and possibly Central Coast is their catchment area, well the Knights could have been a powerhouse with a wealth of juniors, they had very good chance in securing the Centurions and Wyong, but with some poor judgment of some people they have now got the Roosters to to fight.
If you are fair dinkum about your juniors tell me why there are Central coast coaches coaching SG Ball, Harold Matts and the development squads. The first question is does anyone in the Newcastle region coach and surely they are just as good or better. At the moment I see Newcastle as basket case.
I like that Nathan Brown has come in, just as other coaches have done in the past and brought with them their staff. I wish the Knights luck but they need to fix the weeds in the yard first.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yep, that's what he's good at alright.

Scaling back his role can't be a bad thing, though. Turfing him altogether would be ideal. I don't know why we can't seem to rid the club of him... he just keeps coming back.

I bope they only offered him this other role to get their moneies worth from the 2year deal he signed.

Hopefully he is gone by 2017...

macavity

Referee
I bope they only offered him this other role to get their moneies worth from the 2year deal he signed.

Hopefully he is gone by 2017...

Corporate Knowledge. You never get rid of everyone all at once because then no one knows where the bodies are buried. Or how the copier works.

In other words, he is a highly paid copy boy.

So Nathan Brown has confirmed Mick Potter and Mark Andrews as his assistant coaches. So does anyone know where bedsy fits in? Back to running the water?

perverse

Referee
He's making a lot of the right noises at the moment, although I'm unsure why he's recruiting so many depth players. Probably just can't get his hands on any worthwhile players, we've certainly been linked to many.

In a nutshell, I feel like he's getting rid of the right blokes, but hasn't shown any capacity to replace them yet. We'll learn a lot more once the season kicks off, of course... if he can bring through a lot of the talent we have waiting in our juniors then we might not need too much more recruitment. We do desperately need another big body.

Last edited:

grandorient

Bench
Thanks perverse, Brownie of course has a proven record for recognising and bringing through junior talent.

Best of fortunes for 2016 guys from Newy. Most sincerely mean that.

GO

grandorient

Bench
BTW, Usually go down to the Newcastle V Saints match at Newcastle.

Enjoy meeting up with some of you guys at that time. Will arrange something closer to that time.

Cheers
GO

Alex28

Coach
I get everything he has done thus far, bar promoting Ross to the top 25. Surely he isn't a starter next year? Didn't do a great deal to enthuse me...

Noname36

First Grade
Hey guys, how's Browny going; are you hearing much.

Old favorite of mine for obvious reasons.

GO

He tapped Houston on the shoulder so he's already received a head start over Bennett and Stone in my eyes.

He's not going to be able to create miracles here, we know what state we're currently in. We're really down on players next year (and I don't blame Brown for not being able to recruit many when we're in our current state and we don't have any third party money to compete with other clubs) so we've had to plug the holes with juniors who are still a few years off being ready in reality. I just hope the lynch mob don't go after him straight away because given the tough decisions he's made already I think he has us on the right track. I'm not expecting anything for the next couple of years...but that's not because of Brown.

Last edited:
Easy to feel pessimistic given recent events and i do not blame anyone for feeling that way. Not expecting miracles either but for once we have juniors who may just emerge as a great generation of talent and we will be fending clubs off trying to poach them once more. I believe that Brown is the perfect coach for them. They will have a red hot go.

slotmachine

First Grade
I get everything he has done thus far, bar promoting Ross to the top 25. Surely he isn't a starter next year? Didn't do a great deal to enthuse me...

Think it's because you can't have part-timers in the top 25, so they bumped him up to the full time minimum.

At least I hope so.

Spot On

Coach
Hey guys, how's Browny going; are you hearing much.

Old favorite of mine for obvious reasons.

GO

Apparently told the 500K winger he'd be goooone in a heartbeat if a club somewhere in the world was stupid enough to take him off our books. Already a legend with that call. Oh, and moving Houston on, as obvious as it seemed to everyone in RL except Bennett and Stone, was also another boxed ticked.

It will be interesting to watch how a couple of other highly paid veterans perform this year and whether they are kept beyond 2016.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Super at identifying young talent and getting it to NRL level.

Also no doubt a better coach than he was 7 years ago and he was more than decent then.