What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we survive?

Wittenberg

Juniors
Ok I know I've got a slight headache after a long night, but I woke up this morning to read how the Roosters are now supposedly after Farah and SBW. Reading during the week that they are after Hayne may well be a media beat up, but I love the repeated line that the Roosters are so competitive in the player market because of their ability to attract third party agreements and the Club's business skills. Let's leave aside the role played by 'colourful Kings Cross identities' at their club and look at some of the broader issues. Third Party Agreements make policing of the cap near impossible. The big three, Broncos, Bulldogs and Roosters run the show and clubs such as Canberra, North Queensland and Melbourne will always be safe because of the 'National' aspect. They will try to hang onto Newcastle for the same reasons. Penrith, representing Western Sydney is safe and Cronulla, all but dead two years ago, finally looks like getting their millions through land sales and redevelopment. And then we have Richardson at Souths , of all clubs, saying that Sydney has too many clubs. Where does that put us?

Last edited:

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Ok I know I've got a slight headache after a long night, but I woke up this morning to read how the Roosters are now supposedly after Farah and SBW. Reading during the week that they are after Hayne may well be a media beat up, but I love the repeated line that the Roosters are so competitive in the player market because of their ability to attract third party agreements and the Club's business skills. Let's leave aside the role played by 'colourful Kings Cross identities' at their club and look at some of the broader issues. Third Party Agreements make policing of the cap near impossible. The big three, Broncos, Bulldogs and Roosters run the show and clubs such as Canberra, North Queensland and Melbourne will always be safe because of the 'National' aspect. They will try to hang onto Newcastle for the same reasons. Penrith, representing Western Sydney is safe and Cronulla, all but dead two years ago, finally looks like getting their millions through land sales and redevelopment. And then we have Richardson at Souths , of all clubs, saying that Sydney has too many clubs. Where does that put us?

Puts us ahead of Tigers and in charge of the catchment area from Cooks River to Canberra.
Also puts us in the same vein as Newcastle, as you mentioned.

Wittenberg

Juniors
We are also one of the four clubs part owned by the NRL, as such we tend to be locked out of "secret club meetings". Financially our Club is struggling and 'our oval' is becoming year by year less relevant. While we see the Red V as part of the fabric of RL, others may not think I certainly don't want to become the next North Sydney. Maybe being part of the Illawarra might save us. Oh what I'd give for a billionaire! Bloody hell, my father remembers when people called us leeches, sucking all the talent from other clubs, or having money to dominate the recruitment of country rugby league. I suppose Frank Facer was the most hated man by other supporters ......I wish we had him today. I'd feel more comfortable about our future. I suppose the bottom line is that I worry we won't be a powerhouse again. I know I've woke up with a headache and feel shitty......By lunchtime I'll feel better.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
I've seen the St.George leagues financial report, from what I recall, they have over 50 million dollars of assets. And I bet those assets are mostly in real estate. Whether the assets can be better managed, redevelopments etc, is another thing though. The report is available on their website, perhaps someone who is better with numbers than me can have a look.

And the leagues club cutting funding to the nrl team doesn't make much sense to me, as the board of directors of the club and footy team are the same aren't they??? Again I stand corrected if wrong, but to me it seems like the dragons side of the merger has the money and are refusing to prop up the illawarra side.

_snafu_

Immortal
I've seen the St.George leagues financial report, from what I recall, they have over 50 million dollars of assets. And I bet those assets are mostly in real estate. Whether the assets can be better managed, redevelopments etc, is another thing though. The report is available on their website, perhaps someone who is better with numbers than me can have a look.

And the leagues club cutting funding to the nrl team doesn't make much sense to me, as the board of directors of the club and footy team are the same aren't they??? Again I stand corrected if wrong, but to me it seems like the dragons side of the merger has the money and are refusing to prop up the illawarra side.

A few more pokies and a bigger smoking area will turn it around.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
We have the Gordon family as part of the Dragons and WIN sponsorship..This is a Billionaire family from all reports and maybe they can assist a little more into the future via WIN tie up.Time will tell.

stg666

Juniors
have no fear . we are , SAINT GEORGE , ILLAWARRA . we are the mighty DRAGONS . we are the big RED V , and we control the south coast of NSW as a nursery . we are SAINT GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS and we will never die .

Wittenberg

Juniors
It's ok guys.....I've had a good rest, optimism restored and ready for 2016. The best way to protect any club is on field success. Fingers crossed 😋

blacksafake

First Grade
We have the Gordon family as part of the Dragons and WIN sponsorship..This is a Billionaire family from all reports and maybe they can assist a little more into the future via WIN tie up.Time will tell.

The a league are supposedly wooing them to be involved in a new a league team from the gong.