What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we survive?

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Maybe because the Leagues Club is on a clear downward spiral. Wollongong Club is in the same boat.

Maybe Doust thinks the next pay TV deal Doust will fund the footy side purely from TV revenue.

With training facilities effectively based in Wollongong and Doust move to play at ANZ or the Olympic Stadium, perhaps the directors may feel there is little point in supporting a footy side that is no longer solely devoted to the local St George area community. They are supposed to spend money on local community sport.

The Bulldogs don't play out of belmore yet get plenty of support from their leagues clubs.

So if the Dragons leagues club want a total dissasociation with the footy team, why doesn't the leagues club rebrand itself and change its name? Seems odd to me that board of directors sit on both the leagues club and footy club and this same board vote to cut funding to the footy team.

bottle

Coach
The Bulldogs don't play out of belmore yet get plenty of support from their leagues clubs.

So if the Dragons leagues club want a total dissasociation with the footy team, why doesn't the leagues club rebrand itself and change its name? Seems odd to me that board of directors sit on both the leagues club and footy club and this same board vote to cut funding to the footy team.

They cut funding because they don'y have the money to give. If they'd tried to maintain the funding at historical levels they'd be in even worse shit then they are now.

Mr Red

First Grade
They cut funding because they don'y have the money to give. If they'd tried to maintain the funding at historical levels they'd be in even worse shit then they are now.

sheer inability to proactively generate alternate revenue streams once the pokie tax hit... even though the government gave a couple of years notice this tax was coming.

V

Vasilevsky

I don't really understand the idea so many people have that now the Shonkies development project is going ahead, they are suddenly a powerhouse. I don't know the finer details of the project but correct me if I'm wrong but the Shonkies are in partnership with some group.

i.e. some capitalists with no connection or sympathy for the Shonkies are putting the money up for the development in the hope of long-term profits. There is no way they are going to suffer an big spending, bigger loss-making RLFC eating into their profits for long. The downturn in real-estate resulting from the Chinese economic slowdown will only exacerbate this.

In short, Shonkies, Tigers and Manly will all be forced out before St George but Kogarah may have to be abandoned. No doubt a lot of people won't like it but Sydney isn't that big a city. It's not as if a supporter in Kogarah will have to awake at 5am in order to arrive at SFS or Olympic Stadium for kickoff. Woolongong supporters only have a bit further to go.

Get on a charter buses organized by the club. One type for families who want to watch videos of past glories on the way to the game and another for people who want to consume a large amount of beer on the way there and back and relax.

Cagey Mac

Bench
sheer inability to proactively generate alternate revenue streams once the pokie tax hit... even though the government gave a couple of years notice this tax was coming.

Just wondering Red, do you perceive this to be a fault or a challenge that the board has not fully met and do you think that it's acceptable under the circumstances.

Mr Red

First Grade
Just wondering Red, do you perceive this to be a fault or a challenge that the board has not fully met and do you think that it's acceptable under the circumstances.

well i guess because they still havent met the challenge its now become a fault.
IMO still not having a clear strategy to generate revenue without the reliance on pokies is not acceptable.
I'm assuming its not an easy task to create a new business model, however i'm also not one of the guys earning the big bucks that should be :)

BennyV

Referee
I don't really understand the idea so many people have that now the Shonkies development project is going ahead, they are suddenly a powerhouse. I don't know the finer details of the project but correct me if I'm wrong but the Shonkies are in partnership with some group.

i.e. some capitalists with no connection or sympathy for the Shonkies are putting the money up for the development in the hope of long-term profits. There is no way they are going to suffer an big spending, bigger loss-making RLFC eating into their profits for long. The downturn in real-estate resulting from the Chinese economic slowdown will only exacerbate this.

In short, Shonkies, Tigers and Manly will all be forced out before St George but Kogarah may have to be abandoned. No doubt a lot of people won't like it but Sydney isn't that big a city. It's not as if a supporter in Kogarah will have to awake at 5am in order to arrive at SFS or Olympic Stadium for kickoff. Woolongong supporters only have a bit further to go.

Get on a charter buses organized by the club. One type for families who want to watch videos of past glories on the way to the game and another for people who want to consume a large amount of beer on the way there and back and relax.

Yeah, I dont think that the Sharks property development makes them bulletproof, but it makes them less open to total collapse under financial strain. Likewise, Manly's takeover by the Penn group.

However, if they are going to re-locate a Sydney team in a drastic reformation of rhe NRL (or breakaway competition) then our JV with the Illawarra gives us stewardship over a large, vqluable rugby league nursery. Definitely puts us in a better position than those clubs mentioned.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors

My understanding is that the Sharks owned the land, which is the biggest cost when developing, in Sydney anyway.

P.S. Don't mention moving from kogarah unless you wanna get flammed! For the record I think that having to appease two supporter bases in kogarah and Wollongong is one of the reasons why we are under financial strain. Tigers have realised this, they will soon pick one home ground.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
well i guess because they still havent met the challenge its now become a fault.
IMO still not having a clear strategy to generate revenue without the reliance on pokies is not acceptable.
I'm assuming its not an easy task to create a new business model, however i'm also not one of the guys earning the big bucks that should be :)

Sitting on prime land on the princess hwy is a start. How about units mixed with some commercial? These bozos have already missed not one but two property booms in the last 15 years.

Jubileeboy

First Grade

Thank f#$@ for that.
We'd be sick of half arsed chook raffles and chocolate drives after the first few months.
Should have just left it at 'it's not an easy task'.

bottle

Coach

Whatever. The fact is that you can't furnish the funds if you don't have them, which was simply the point I was making.

RedVee

First Grade
IMO it is an attempt to shore up the Leagues Club while pressuring the NRL to increase our funding as a repay of the development money we have been paying to develop our juniors for plunder by the other clubs.

Also, IMO the issues we are under all stem back to the Board being asleep at the wheel of the Leagues Club for the last decade.

Acka

Coach
Just re the leagues club and pokies. Apprantley there was $73 billion pumped through poker machines in NSW last year. $3.7 billion of that was in the Canterbury LGA (Where Canterbury Leagues Club is situated) alone.