What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings with added crap - XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Wow, it only took you the best part of four years, but you finally got what everyone else knew six months in.

Everyone else thought it was because he couldn't 'steer a team around the park' or he 'went walkabout' or other bullshit. The reason was for his defence. His attack was fine - his position on the Dally M table this year proved that. You can be the worst defender on the field and still poll 3 Dally M points if your attack is good enough.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not true, in fact I could go as far as to say you are being dishonest in your post above. ;-)

Hoppa may recognise the fact that he is getting $x from Parra and therefore doesn't need a large contract with someone else in order to earn his ideal 2016 income. Or he could be smarter about it and use any court ruled entitlement as "bonus" income and get as much as he can from a new club.

But the point is, whatever we have to pay him, he gets regardless of which club he ends up signing for. If we have to pay him nothing he's just as much a free agent as if we have to pay him his entire contract. Other clubs still have to table an offer and I'm guessing $300k from the Titans (for example) will beat $100k from the Dogs (for example).

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
It's one thing to hurt the team by your absence. Sandow actually hurt us every time he took the field. Even when he got man-of-the-match.

Yep, I reckon just having the defence of Scott / foran on the right side will make a massive difference, let along every thing else they bring ( Plus our other recruits, and a experienced fullback.)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yep, I reckon just having the defence of Scott / foran on the right side will make a massive difference, let along every thing else they bring ( Plus our other recruits, and a experienced fullback.)

I think we'll see teams target our left side from now on. It's very exciting.

Incorrect

Coach
Despite the obvious shortcomings in Sandows game, and from the top let me say I'm glad he's no longer at the club, I couldn't describe him as our worst ever signing. He actually did some things that contributed to the good times we had in 2014 and 2015. Admittedly he contributed greatly to some of the bad times in the same time. But I compare what he brought to the team against what an overpaid and overhyped Adam Dykes did (he was a reigning Dally M five-eighth when he joined the club was he not?), at least Sandow played with a smile on his face and was a match winner on occasions. Dykes was an expensive mistake who never once delivered anything near what we expected. Remember how happy we were to let him go and how happy he was to get back to the Sharks?!

Casper The Ghost

First Grade

Hiku is a good finisher but the video mostly focuses on the brilliant executing Manly halves, centres, fullback, second rowers, hooker and lock.
To me, Hiku is seriously overrated (too much hype).
Very happy to get him on our books for $250k/$300k playing wherever we need him most in the backs.
If we do get him, I'm looking forward to seeing what Hiku brings to the table without Manly's illustrious backs around him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Despite the obvious shortcomings in Sandows game, and from the top let me say I'm glad he's no longer at the club, I couldn't describe him as our worst ever signing. He actually did some things that contributed to the good times we had in 2014 and 2015. Admittedly he contributed greatly to some of the bad times in the same time. But I compare what he brought to the team against what an overpaid and overhyped Adam Dykes did (he was a reigning Dally M five-eighth when he joined the club was he not?), at least Sandow played with a smile on his face and was a match winner on occasions. Dykes was an expensive mistake who never once delivered anything near what we expected. Remember how happy we were to let him go and how happy he was to get back to the Sharks?!

The problem for Dykes (and for several Eels players of the time) was that the ruck rules changed the game massively between 2001 and 2002. The game became a lot slower and there was a lot less broken play. That took away Dykes' strength (broken play running) and greatly diminished guys like Brad Drew and Brett Hodgson. Plus it f**ked our small forward pack.

TheRam

Coach
Hopoate and Lussick were good signings - they were just on overs, like everyone else we signed.

Sandow was our worst signing in the history of the club.

Hypocrite, you can't have it both ways.

Oh, it's you Pou... yeah, yeah sure, you're right, spot on mate. Great signings, just on overs. Nothing to see here. As you were.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Pou whinged about Hayne being on overs, not worth the money. Can't build a team around him blah blah blah. But two of the biggest spuds we have never signed in Hoppa and Lussick were good signings just on overs lol. Add in Sandow and the Tonga bros did Kearney pull off at least one decent signing???

Eelementary

Post Whore

Imo, Sandow's selfish, immature performance this year against the Dogs is enough for me to call him our worst ever.

Incorrect

Coach
Imo, Sandow's selfish, immature performance this year against the Dogs is enough for me to call him our worst ever.

Yep, I can dig it... I guess one thing you couldn't question with Dykes was his effort. He always seemed to give it his best for the Eels but it just didn't click whatsoever for him during his tenure in the blue and gold... Sandow on the other hand could have his effort questioned on occasion...

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Hypocrite, you can't have it both ways.

Oh, it's you Pou... yeah, yeah sure, you're right, spot on mate. Great signings, just on overs. Nothing to see here. As you were.

Pou whinged about Hayne being on overs, not worth the money. Can't build a team around him blah blah blah. But two of the biggest spuds we have never signed in Hoppa and Lussick were good signings just on overs lol. Add in Sandow and the Tonga bros did Kearney pull off at least one decent signing???

What the hell are you two crapping on about?

I don't see anything in the 'offending post' that suggests that "paying overs" is a good thing.

Talk about going off half cocked...

Noise

Coach
What the hell are you two crapping on about?

I don't see anything in the 'offending post' that suggests that "paying overs" is a good thing.

Talk about going off half cocked...

Then how can they be good signings (as Pou states) if we paid overs and they didn't deliver on the field?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Then how can they be good signings (as Pou states) if we paid overs and they didn't deliver on the field?

You have to read the whole post mate.

I read it to suggest that they were good people to sign, but we just paid too much for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.