What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Gould says Mal Meninga as Roos coach is “a waste of money”

HayneKloppter

Juniors
Paul CrawleyThe Daily Telegraph

RUGBY league’s worst kept secret is out. Mal Meninga has ditched his beloved Maroons and will be officially announced as Australia’s new Test coach.

But the most successful coach in NSW Origin history, Phil Gould, on Wednesday night declared it was “absolutely ridiculous” and “a waste of money” to make Meninga the Kangaroos’ first ever fulltime coach.

Meninga is reportedly set to pocket the best part of $300,000 a year to coach the Kangaroos for a handful of games annually.

Asked if Meninga’s bumper salary would be money well spent, Gould said: “Mal is the right bloke for the job and I am glad he has got the job.

“But it is not a fulltime job. Absolutely ridiculous.

“It’s the same as having fulltime Origin coaches. You don’t need them.

“The whole thing is a waste of money. I don’t know what the money is worth to coach Australia but I know you don’t have to be fulltime to do it.”

Plenty of others in the game privately agree with the Penrith supremo.

It’s not as if grassroots development couldn’t do with a helping hand, or rugby league in the bush for that matter.

Meninga’s predecessor Tim Sheens was on a deal believed to be $50,000 a year to coach the Kangaroos.

New Zealand and England both survive on having part-time coaches who work as fulltime NRL assistants in Steve Kearney and Steve McNamara.

But ARL Commission chairman John Grant has said he reckons the Kangaroos coach needs to be a fulltime role to get Australia back on top of the rugby league world.

And Grant made it his personal crusade to get his fellow Queenslander into the position, by ruling out every head coach that was aligned to an NRL club.

Meninga’s appointment has also left Queensland privately seething after they believed for months that Meninga would stay on for next year’s Origin series.

Brisbane assistant coach Kevvie Walters is now the hot tip to take over Queensland next year.

But there is no doubt Meninga has left the Maroons well and truly in the lurch in the countdown to Christmas.

Across the game club bosses are privately seething at Grant’s decision to appoint a fulltime national coach, given there are so many areas in the game crying out for better financial support.

As one club boss told The Daily Telegraph on Wednesday night: “This is all about John Grant looking after Queensland.

“This is so he can say to his mates; ‘Look what I have done for you’.”

QRL chairman Peter Betros is resigned to losing Meninga.

“If I was a betting man I think he would enjoy the challenge of the Kangaroos,’’ Betros said.

Steve “Blocker” Roach agreed with Gould that Meninga was the right man for the job.

But Roach hopes the newly created fulltime position also means Meninga spends plenty of time helping to develop the game at the non-professional level.

“I reckon it is a great appointment. I think he deserves to be next in the queue to be the Australian coach,” Roach said.

“I think it is fantastic but without knowing what sort of money he is on you’d imagine he would be getting more than he was to coach Queensland.

“So he’d want to do a little bit more than just coach the Kangaroos.

“Hopefully there is a development program where he goes around coaching in the country and with the kids.”

NSW boss David Trodden on Wednesday night said he had no knowledge that Meninga would be announced as the new Kangaroo coach on Thursday but offered: “I would support Mal’s appointment.”

link for article: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...a-waste-of-money/story-fni3fr51-1227631598595

Last edited:

MattJ

Juniors
That's a bit of a misleading thread title...
Gould thinks Mal is the right man for the job, just that the Australian coach doesn't need to be a full-time position.
To be honest, he is probably right.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
LOL

QLD went full time coach, 9-1 since. NSW goes full time 1-1

Bad news for the Kiwis. Yeah Phil.....

Mal will be great.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Why pay the national coach at all, just give him a BWS voucher and a meat platter and he's set, right Gus.

Also DT still pushing the Big Bad QLD vs us poor little NSW folk shit, ridiculous.

johnny plath

Juniors
It's two (if lucky) games a year.. Part time azzz bro

Wow, I thought there were tests against new zealand and a 4 nations in 2016, and then a world cup in 2017. I don't see the problem with a full time national coach. We get constant whingeing that international footy needs to be the pinnacle, yet bag a decision that gives respect towards that notion. I know other Aussie national sports teams play more international matches, but if you persist with part time appointments, then rugby league is not going to gain respect within Australia as an international sport. I'm pretty sure (hopefully) that Meningas role will be a lot more than just prepping the kangaroos.

LeaguePlayer

Juniors
This is also coming from the guy who thinks it isn't necessary to show Rugby League Tests that don't involve Australia on Foxtel because there bad for ratings at 3am in the morning...:crazy:

Pommy

Coach
I don't understand why he had to give the QLD job up. He's never shown any bias against NSW players in his time in that role.

Absolutely ridiculous that they're saying Mal left QLD in the lurch. There was a job available, he got it. He's given sufficient notice, move on.

He's the right man for the job no doubt. I will be more weary of an Roos side coached by him, but I'm still confident that once those core players retire we'll trounce em every game.

Ibleedblue

Juniors
Absolutely ridiculous that they're saying Mal left QLD in the lurch. There was a job available, he got it. He's given sufficient notice, move on.

He's the right man for the job no doubt. I will be more weary of an Roos side coached by him, but I'm still confident that once those core players retire we'll trounce em every game.

This will be one of his biggest challenges as coach finding a spine that will replace Slater/Cronk/Thurston/Smith.

Desert Qlder

First Grade

This is a construct of the NSW media, who unfortunately have chosen to focus on the Origin angle at the expense of what is best for Australia.

Betros and the QRL have been most supportive, publicly so, since Meninga first expressed interest.

adamkungl

Immortal
The only thing Australia needs to do to get back on top is actually play matches, but they're all a bit tired.

Latest posts