What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings with added crap - XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incorrect

Coach
They don't necessarily appear as links on news.com.au but they are published to it so if the DT website is telling you that you have no free articles left, try changing the domain to news.com.au and you should be right. It can also work on some of their premium articles but not often

News Ltd premium articles - now there's an oxymoron!

oldmancraigy

Coach
You know that it could mean that we pay him zip ? Or even that he pays our costs ? :lol:

We both know judges can make random decisions sometimes!
Seems like Hoppa's team was after a settlement all along, they fed the press, hoping the club would cave. Club held strong, went to court.
Meanwhile Hoppa has moved on, ready to play with the Dogs, but can't sign a contract because that will torpedo his argument- especially if the Dogs have to let someone go to sign him. Dogs getting a bit jumpy, 'get on with it Hoppa', so they give the tree one last shake (see Tele article a week-ish ago). Club doesn't fold on that, so team Hoppa come back and settle - settlement would be more favourable to us I imagine - but we probably paid the bloke a token amount. Wouldn't be anywhere near what he was hoping for, but safer to give him something than risk a random judgement (however small a chance of that there might be)!

That's my guess as to what happened anyway...

I still cannot see any way that it could be counted under the salary cap. It is a civil dispute, settled out of court, and there is no contract lodged with the NRL - so no possible way we could be pinged for it.

HayneKloppter

Juniors
We both know judges can make random decisions sometimes!
Seems like Hoppa's team was after a settlement all along, they fed the press, hoping the club would cave. Club held strong, went to court.
Meanwhile Hoppa has moved on, ready to play with the Dogs, but can't sign a contract because that will torpedo his argument- especially if the Dogs have to let someone go to sign him. Dogs getting a bit jumpy, 'get on with it Hoppa', so they give the tree one last shake (see Tele article a week-ish ago). Club doesn't fold on that, so team Hoppa come back and settle - settlement would be more favourable to us I imagine - but we probably paid the bloke a token amount. Wouldn't be anywhere near what he was hoping for, but safer to give him something than risk a random judgement (however small a chance of that there might be)!

That's my guess as to what happened anyway...

I still cannot see any way that it could be counted under the salary cap. It is a civil dispute, settled out of court, and there is no contract lodged with the NRL - so no possible way we could be pinged for it.

the question for me, is how long did it take for the club to advise tyran smith that the contract registration was unsuccessful, and how was that communicated to him.

if we informed him without any sugar coating as soon as the nrl auditor informed us then really smith knew the risks associated with hanging on.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
sucked in Dogs we finally get one up on them. Hoppa is too slow for NRL he showed that the last 2 years.

The mad scientist must see something in him, but yeah not sure why they need him. Thought the dogs would have been better chasing Farrah, they lack a quality hooker.

Avenger

Immortal
I for one was very excited about him joining us until I heard the price. Obviously a nice man with plenty of decency. I wish him all the best but am relieved that he is gone.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Just a hypothetical, but would people be upset if we let Junior Paulo go but signed, say JWH?

I love Paulo, and his ceiling is immense - but JWH is an animal.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Just a hypothetical, but would people be upset if we let Junior Paulo go but signed, say JWH?

Maria-Hargreaves is a forward leader on the field, unlike Paulo. But I rate Paulo a better attacking player.

Incorrect

Coach

Hypothetically I imagine whatever we consider the absolute most we should/could want to re-sign Paulo for, JWH would cost you a further 150K+ on top of (at least). For instance, IMO, I would go as high as 350-400K to re-sign Junior right now, and even that seems like ridiculous money for a young prop who hasn't played rep or finals footy, but it's a leap of faith based on his rapid improvement and impact so far (what would his current deal be worth you reckon? 150K?).... But JWH, who will be 27 going in to next season and who was the best prop in the game until he did his knee in 2015, would easily attract offers of 650K+ if he tested the market now....

It all depends on what the rest of your cap spending looks like obviously... I'd be tempted to keep Junior if the above figures were in play.... I shudder to think what Sticky has offered Junior....

forward pass

Coach
I for one was very excited about him joining us until I heard the price. Obviously a nice man with plenty of decency. I wish him all the best but am relieved that he is gone.

Not as bad as everyone makes out but probably best that he has gone.

I personally am more disappointed with Robinson leaving than Hoppa. He is a bigger loss in my view.

Avenger

Immortal
Oh yeah, 850 grand a year. I remember hearing that. :roll:

No need to dispute everything on here and be the polariser on every view/opinion/fact on this site. It's boring and nobody really cares. Haven't you realised that? Don't know where you get the energy or the time.

Fanbase

Juniors
No need to dispute everything on here and be the polariser on every view/opinion/fact on this site. It's boring and nobody really cares. Haven't you realised that? Don't know where you get the energy or the time.

He is too full of his own hate to know anything. And yes no one cares about him and what he garbs on about. he has become totally irrelevant on here.

Suitman

Post Whore

The energy comes from ego.
Yours comes from the fact you're a passionate Serb.
Pou's come from the fact he is 5 ft 2 inches tall, and suffers short man's disease.
Mine comes from the fact I'm always right.

I'm glad we've sorted that out.

Suity

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.