What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings with added crap - XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course the club does!!

The court has 0 authority over the NRL to demand they count this against anyone's cap though... the court case outcome, and the salary cap implications, are not interdependent entities (ok, they aren't even entities - but you get what I am saying). The unique situation the Eels found themselves in with Hoppa will not entice other clubs to perform in a similar fashion - by not counting any court judgement against our cap, the NRL set no imicable precedent.

Where did I (or anyone) suggest that the court has authority over the NRL? The court can order a payment. And then the NRL have to decide how it is treated. You suggested that there was no way that the NRL would decide that it was assessable under the cap. I simply provided reasons why they very well might decide that the payment should be assessed.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Where did I (or anyone) suggest that the court has authority over the NRL? The court can order a payment. And then the NRL have to decide how it is treated. You suggested that there was no way that the NRL would decide that it was assessable under the cap. I simply provided reasons why they very well might decide that the payment should be assessed.

Didnt you, in a discussion about why it would/not count against our cap talk about the clubs court defence not entailing a rogue CEO?

If to the NRL sure, club should be liable. Remind me again how much of the Storms cheaty contracts were assessed to their cap? They were allowed to renegotiate all players, or quietly send people packing.
Ok, so we are not the Storm, but there is the precedent for almost the exact scenario we are facing with Hoppa. Small difference, he is taking us to court (or we were too dumb to give him a fiver and say 'sorry man, don't sue').

For all we know, the club has the upper hand in the court case and nothing will come of this?

Anyway, put me on record as saying Hoppa counts $0 to our cap in 2016.
I will assume you say he does count, and we will wait and see!

Didnt you, in a discussion about why it would/not count against our cap talk about the clubs court defence not entailing a rogue CEO?

Yes I did, simply to reinforce the point that the rogue CEO thing is irrelevant.

If to the NRL sure, club should be liable. Remind me again how much of the Storms cheaty contracts were assessed to their cap? They were allowed to renegotiate all players, or quietly send people packing.
Ok, so we are not the Storm, but there is the precedent for almost the exact scenario we are facing with Hoppa. Small difference, he is taking us to court (or we were too dumb to give him a fiver and say 'sorry man, don't sue').

For all we know, the club has the upper hand in the court case and nothing will come of this?

Anyway, put me on record as saying Hoppa counts $0 to our cap in 2016.
I will assume you say he does count, and we will wait and see!

I don't know what they'll do, but I sure as hell think there are good reasons why they might ping us for any damages levied.

I don't think there's any reason to believe that the club has the upper hand in the court case, but they might have a bargaining power advantage outside the court....as they can f**k Hoppa around more than he can f**k the club around.

One would think this will eventually be settled out of court.

hindy111

Post Whore
In about 6 weeks I will launch something guys........

I been working on all year.........

Soon lift off

Photos can be sent for anyone interested

We have take off

oldmancraigy

Coach
Yes I did, simply to reinforce the point that the rogue CEO thing is irrelevant.

So you do think the courts will determine the NRLs decision?
Or will the NRL make their judgement independently?
And if so, surely the rogue CEO thing makes the whole situation a very difficult precedent??

I probably just read you wrong, but I understood you to be arguing that it would set a bad precedent if the NRL didn't slug us. A I did was point out how that is pretty far from the case (ie precedent is strange)!

I don't know what they'll do, but I sure as hell think there are good reasons why they might ping us for any damages levied.

I don't think there's any reason to believe that the club has the upper hand in the court case, but they might have a bargaining power advantage outside the court....as they can f**k Hoppa around more than he can f**k the club around.

One would think this will eventually be settled out of court.

What reason do you have to think the club doesn't have the upper hand? I have no idea who does, but I am far from convinced Hoppa's party does. I know we have debated this in advance a number of times. But neither of us have seen evidence, all we have to go on is the club refusing to speak about it but happily going to court and newspaper articles with Hoppas side of the story.
For all we know that is poppycock!

Now I am inclined to believe that the Eels will pay Hoppa's camp some cash, but cannot see any good reason why the NRL will count that against our cap.
Seems far more likely that they give (or have given?) us a tick of 'good governance' for trying to right a wrong, and for bringing Schu on board. Would be odd for us to be players in the player market without knowing our position especially considering it might cost us 4 comp points. Very good chance the cap related side of it is well done.

So you do think the courts will determine the NRLs decision?
Or will the NRL make their judgement independently?
And if so, surely the rogue CEO thing makes the whole situation a very difficult precedent??

I probably just read you wrong, but I understood you to be arguing that it would set a bad precedent if the NRL didn't slug us. A I did was point out how that is pretty far from the case (ie precedent is strange)!

I've said twice that the court won't determine the NRL's decision. But it sure as hell has a potential impact on the NRL's decision, because if the court agrees with the club, then the NRL has no decision to make. If the NRL agree with Hoppa, then the NRL have to make a decision on the nature of any payments ordered by the court (i.e. whether they substantively relate to player salaries etc). I don't know how else to say that. The only people raising the rogue CEO argument as a differentiating feature of the entire Hoppa situation (which includes, but is not restricted to, the court case) are fans.

I don't think you read me wrong. I am saying that allowing a club to offer a player terms in writing, have that player agree in writing to those terms, and then for the club to refuse register the deal creates a bad precedent (all of this assumes that these events actually happened.....hence my reference to the court decision). This doesn't have to mean that dozens of clubs will immediately seek to exploit the precedent, but consider this situation that may occur if clubs know that damages similar to the current case are exempt from the cap:

Club A has a player who is in final year of contract, and whose early season form has waned slightly. The club is not sure whether this is a temporary loss of form or the start of a permanent decline. They re-sign him on an 'optimistic' contract, then sit on the paperwork for half a season, watch the player perform and then decide whether to fwd the paperwork for registration. If the player's form is strong, the club exercise their option, if not the club says 'Oh well, tough luck', and even if the court orders damages to be paid, the club knows there is no cap impact. Now this isn't going to be the standard operating procedure, but it is not something that I'd advocate encouraging.

What reason do you have to think the club doesn't have the upper hand?

A better than average understanding of the legal process and contract law in particular.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea who does, but I am far from convinced Hoppa's party does. I know we have debated this in advance a number of times. But neither of us have seen evidence, all we have to go on is the club refusing to speak about it but happily going to court and newspaper articles with Hoppas side of the story.
For all we know that is poppycock!

Now I am inclined to believe that the Eels will pay Hoppa's camp some cash, but cannot see any good reason why the NRL will count that against our cap.
Seems far more likely that they give (or have given?) us a tick of 'good governance' for trying to right a wrong, and for bringing Schu on board. Would be odd for us to be players in the player market without knowing our position especially considering it might cost us 4 comp points. Very good chance the cap related side of it is well done.

That is certainly possible (even likely?), but far from certain. In the absence of a decision regarding exactly what happened, it would be very hard for the NRL to give absolute guarantees. And....We are the club whose initial response to the demand that we appoint an independent party to the governance review was to say 'get stuffed'.

Again, I'm simply saying that anything remains possible from here on.

Chipmunk

Coach
I think it's unlikely the Hopoate court matter, if it continues until the courts have to make the final decision, that the matter will be decided during the 2016 season.

I also think this is partly the reason why the club is not too fussed about the matter continuing through the courts to the end.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Club A has a player who is in final year of contract, and whose early season form has waned slightly. The club is not sure whether this is a temporary loss of form or the start of a permanent decline. They re-sign him on an 'optimistic' contract, then sit on the paperwork for half a season, watch the player perform and then decide whether to fwd the paperwork for registration. If the player's form is strong, the club exercise their option, if not the club says 'Oh well, tough luck', and even if the court orders damages to be paid, the club knows there is no cap impact. Now this isn't going to be the standard operating procedure, but it is not something that I'd advocate encouraging.

But that is not the scenario we are facing......
That is the point of the precedent! It is rather unique isn't it? It requires a CEO being sacked who may have been falsifying contracts to rort the cap process....

I also wonder, if a contract is signed by all parties, and the club doesn't forward to the NRL, what is to stop the player manager doing so? Or, would he not know? Surely once fatified everyone gets a final copy? If a club was bollocksing round per your scenario, just sign with someone else?

hindy111

Post Whore
My mate who rekons Hiku all but signed and Lafai off to dragons now reckons Gould has stuck his finger in the pie and stirred the pot. Penrith now a good chance to take Lafai meaning Dragons have upped the Anti of Hiku.
Reckons we will know tomorrow!

Another mate who is a solicitor reckons Hoppa deserves compensation - We screwed him.He agreed to a contract and then we took it off him. His value was worth more at that time then when he had to re - negotiate.

Far Canal

Juniors
My mate who rekons Hiku all but signed and Lafai off to dragons now reckons Gould has stuck his finger in the pie and stirred the pot. Penrith now a good chance to take Lafai meaning Dragons have upped the Anti of Hiku.

Another mate who is a solicitor reckons Hoppa deserves compensation - We screwed him.He agreed to a contract and then we took it off him. His value was worth more at that time then when he had to re - negotiate.

With all due respect Hindy111, your mate (or you) are basically saying what the papers have been saying for the past week. No real news there. :sarcasm:

Gronk

Staff member

Sounds legit.

Bigfella

Coach
I think it's unlikely the Hopoate court matter, if it continues until the courts have to make the final decision, that the matter will be decided during the 2016 season.

I also think this is partly the reason why the club is not too fussed about the matter continuing through the courts to the end.

It will be sorted before round 1 mate.

Hoopa doesn't have a contract anywhere until it's sorted so he will ask to have it heard before round 1.

We won't know the effect on out cap do can't "replace" him without knowing the consequences.

I reckon everyone knows the outcome now and are just waiting to approval from the NRL to the court settlement and subsequent signings.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Parramatta are pulling out the big guns in their bid to sign Manly’s Kiwi international utility back Peta Hiku.

Hiku is one of the few big names left on the open market with the Eels, Dragons, Panthers and Titans all showing interest.

But the Eels are piling on the pressure, with Hiku’s former Manly team-mates Anthony Watmough, Kieran Foran and Clint Gutherson ringing him on an almost daily basis.

The trio are singing the praises of Eels coach Brad Arthur, talking of car pooling and finals places - and the pressure is working, with the Eels now favourites to sign the Kiwi star.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor has met with Hiku but the Big Red V hasn’t played its ace - star five-eighth Benji Marshall.

Marshall is regarded with massive respect by all young Kiwi players and if he sat down with Hiku, it would give the Dragons a far better chance of signing the talented utility back.

http://www.nospam47.com/league-news...s-call-on-big-guns-to-seal-peter-hiku-signing

Chipmunk

Coach
It will be sorted before round 1 mate.

Hoopa doesn't have a contract anywhere until it's sorted so he will ask to have it heard before round 1.

We won't know the effect on out cap do can't "replace" him without knowing the consequences.

I reckon everyone knows the outcome now and are just waiting to approval from the NRL to the court settlement and subsequent signings.

The courts won't give a toss about what Hopoate wants. It's a fairly low level matter. They have more important matters to deal with.

What's the court case got to do with Hopoate signing elsewhere? It's damages case. I'd suggest Hopoate will sign with someone else and the matter will continue on for another 1-2 years. The club has no intention of signing Hopoate, so they don't really care where he plays.

I'd suggest the club already has received advice from the NRL that if you pay Hopoate any money in an out of court settlement that it will be included in your cap. By the same token, the advice from the NRL was possibly that there is nothing they can do about a damages claim outside the control of the NRL (something through the courts).

Bigfella

Coach
The courts won't give a toss about what Hopoate wants. It's a fairly low level matter. They have more important matters to deal with.

What's the court case got to do with Hopoate signing elsewhere? It's damages case. I'd suggest Hopoate will sign with someone else and the matter will continue on for another 1-2 years. The club has no intention of signing Hopoate, so they don't really care where he plays.

I'd suggest the club already has received advice from the NRL that if you pay Hopoate any money in an out of court settlement that it will be included in your cap. By the same token, the advice from the NRL was possibly that there is nothing they can do about a damages claim outside the control of the NRL (something through the courts).

If hoppa wanted it dealt with promptly he would apply for expedition on the basis that he will lose income and his potential employment for a year on a career that will only span another ten years max. The court would accommodate that. It's not true to say it wouldn't give a toss.

It's also not true to say it's only a damages case that doesn't effect other signings. The NRL will need to rule on the salary cap implications if there is a payout.

Bulldogs need to know the result of the case because it may well effect how much of his contract we pay. If we pay nothing they may not get their signing of him approved at all if its under market value.

We need to know whether we are off Scott free or whether the NRL is going to apply part of his salary to our cap. We could sign these two centres we are supposedly looking at and then get jumped with hoppa. Best case scenario would be losing 4 points and possibly worse.

Im not sure why you are making these outlandish statements when it's clear that everyone needs to know the cap consequences before proceeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.