What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
Uhhh I was talking about Whare. That was my point... when we got Whare he was surplus to their requirements. They had a full backline and he was only ever used when they had injuries... which with Stewart, Lyon and Matai in the backline was quiet often. They didn't NEED him. So he was worth more to us and we had a few openings for him to take. We tried fullback, that was a failure. He moved to centre and from there we haven't looked back.

Hiku on the other hand was part of their full strength team, and he was re-signed early into his stay at Manly when he would have been reasonably cheap to keep. But they wanted to offload him to sign Dylan Walker. They had a good player on a great value contract but opted for a game breaker instead.

I just don't see why we would outbid teams who actually need him when we have 4 established players in our backline, and 4 players who are young, talented, have first grade experience and with a single spot up for grabs for 4 guys to fight their way into the team.

If we have no confidence that Anthony Griffin can get one of those guys to reach their potential. What was the point in signing him? Maybe Ivan Cleary just wasn't as good at developing players as we thought he would be. He failed with quiet a few guys. Kevin Naiqama was good before he came here, was shit for us and then went reasonably well after leaving. Blake Austin was said to be a lost cause. Now he's the best #6 running around for NSW. He failed to get the best out of guys like Michael Jennings, Lachlan Coote, Tim Grant, Sam McKendry etc. who were all quality before he arrived. We have arguably our best crop of youngsters sitting in reserve grade at the moment and people think they aren't good enough for first grade because they had a few average games in their debut year under Ivan Cleary.

I think Blake and R Jennings have a higher ceiling then Hiku does. They definitely aren't near his league yet, but they could have been by seasons end if Griffin is better at developing players then Cleary was.

You are reading far too much into this. We signed a very good player because he improves our team and helps us win, which is what pro sports is all about. If those young guys are going to surpass Hiku(highly unlikely either them gets close this year) they will still have a chance to show it.

Last edited:

Cranky Sod

Juniors
Uhhh I was talking about Whare.

My apologies I misinterpreted your post and thought you were talking about Hiku.

Hiku on the other hand was part of their full strength team, and he was re-signed early into his stay at Manly when he would have been reasonably cheap to keep

Manly did not re signed Hiku cheap. They reportedly re signed Him to a 3 year million dollar contract just last year.

Exsilium

First Grade
Blake, Rennings & Jennings are all gambles whereas Hiku adds plenty more than those three combined.

Speed, skills and experience. Can play almost anywhere 1-7 and is way too good not to be playing first grade.

How many articles are you reading about Rennings, gennings and blake losing out because of this signing? None. Why? Cause they aren't newsworthy and imo they are not anywhere close to Hiku. Sign a good player and strengthen our team yet plenty whinge.

Why don't we go back to the days of signing ciraldos and Ritchie's

Randy81

Juniors
Blake, Rennings & Jennings are all gambles whereas Hiku adds plenty more than those three combined.

Speed, skills and experience. Can play almost anywhere 1-7 and is way too good not to be playing first grade.

How many articles are you reading about Rennings, gennings and blake losing out because of this signing? None. Why? Cause they aren't newsworthy and imo they are not anywhere close to Hiku. Sign a good player and strengthen our team yet plenty whinge.

Why don't we go back to the days of signing ciraldos and Ritchie's

Exactly. We used to sign players like gaffey ohallaren hookey norrie franze and now we are complaining about current internationals.....go figure

mxlegend99

Referee
There's no negative backlash toward Hiku. I have no issue with him as a player. He's a fine player and I don't blame him for taking the best deal on offer. Especially after the way Manly has treated him.

I'm just disappointed in what this signing will mean for us in the longterm. We really didn't need to sign a high profile centre. It doesn't turn us into genuine premiership threat. Those odds change solely based on who is in our halves and how well they play. Ie. We need to ditch Wallace. Soward needs to find his 2014 form.

Other people here might not have faith in our young guys. But I was confident atleast one of them would have a huge 2016 season and make that #3 jersey his own. But realistically at full strength there's no way any of our backline spots are up for grab. Which means those guys are best off looking at teams like the Eels, Titans and tigers who have shit backlines and average depth.

betcats

Referee
We haven't been anywhere close to full strength for 4 years so those guys should get some burn next year. Anyway im sure the club and Gus have a plan on how they are going to retain the young guys they want, that may be seen as blindy supporting the club but imo trying to guess what signing Hiku means for us longterm is too hard from behind a keyboard..Whare could be going, Mansour could be going, one of the three young guys might have already indicated they want out or they might be showing a poor attitude, not getting along with the new coach or their teammates. There could be a hundred things in the works that we don't know about. Instead of trying to apply my own logic to all that and drawing my own conclusions id rather just appreciate that we have improved the team with this signing and hope that our management have a plan and are doing their best to bring us long term success. Like others have said we are now signing young internationals(from the world champs no less) late in the year rather than Purtell or Lee Hookey or some other plodder, be happy.

I agree betcats.

The signings over the last couple of years outweigh the Franzes, O'Hallorans, Hookeys, Purtells, Worths, Ciraldos, etc. that we've previously signed.

hindy111

Post Whore
Aren't Jennings and Hiku the same age - Well Hiku is 6mths older. Has achieved a lot more..

Id tip Moylan into the halves thats one spot. And if Mansour wants too much thats another.
1Moylan
2Mansour
3Whare
4Hiku
5DWZ

Personally i think DWZ is too good to be wasted on the wing.And he should get first crack at No - 1 if Moylan moves.
Most players miss about 4 -5 games a season so that leaves about 24 games for someone too fill in this year. There will be times when two guys are out at once.Thats when robert- George or Blake can get a chance.

If you lose one of these guys too a season long injury i reckon use will be cheering.Same goes if your halves arent working-They now have options too move Moylan.

mxlegend99

Referee
I agree betcats.

The signings over the last couple of years outweigh the Franzes, O'Hallorans, Hookeys, Purtells, Worths, Ciraldos, etc. that we've previously signed.
Wasn't Ciraldo one of those signings in the last few years? I'm pretty sure he came under Gus along with guys like Galea, Naiqama, Newton etc.

But more importantly then the quality of our signings in the last couple of years. The quality of our juniors is at an all time high also. Look at our Under 20's and Reserve Grade sides since Gus arrived. Aside from the year Trent Barrett coached our 20's, both have made the finals each year I'm pretty sure and we have been in one or both grand finals each year since. Then there's success stories like Moylan, DWZ, Cartwright etc. in first grade.

Unfortunately the improvement in results stops in those grades for the moment. In the same time we have still only made the finals once since Phil Gould arrived and that's with signings like James Segeyaro, Elijah Taylor, Jamie Soward, Dean Whare etc. who were huge for us. I also think even with the signing of Peta Hiku, or full strength backline in 2015 was a lot better with a fit and firing Jamal Idris. Sadly he wasn't fit often for us. But when he was he was an absolute beast. I think he could have stayed fit for longer if he wasn't so lazy and was willing to shed maybe 10kg of fat and take a bit of pressure off his body.

martielang

Bench
I don't normally agree with MX but I have to on this point, seems like a strange signing after going out so hard to resign Blake and Rennings as well as all the talk about local juniors etc. IMO both have a lot more upside then Hiku. Hiku is a good solid first grader, a good addition but not a spectacular one (I'd rather Lafai).

A rap up from Gould's twitter activity.

He has deactivated his account.

We are done recruiting for 2016 and are under the cap.

We won't be letting any players go ahead of the 2016 seaon.
Grevsmhul will not be coming to us for 2016 season.

Whare contracted till end of 2017 Mansour 2016 Already started talks to re signed.

Moylan's injury is coming along steadily

GongPanther

Referee
A rap up from Gould's twitter activity.

He has deactivated his account.

We are done recruiting for 2016 and are under the cap.

We won't be letting any players go ahead of the 2016 seaon.
Grevsmhul will not be coming to us for 2016 season.

Whare contracted till end of 2017 Mansour 2016 Already started talks to re signed.

Moylan's injury is coming along steadily

He did mention that someone might have hijacked his account.Or he just needs a break for a weekend.

hindy111

Post Whore
Before Use has the Duke penrith where flat out signing anyone. Now they seem to be in the mix for who they want.

Juniors are starting too flourish and I imagine more good ones too come.Unfortunately the more juniors you produce the more you lose.The nature of the beast - You cant keep them all.

ashton

Juniors
We have 4 outstanding young halves coming through the system.
But they are all very young at this stage.
I think Gus has said a number of times he wants to develop halves from within.
Btw Penrith NYC SG Ball and Harold Matthews had their first trials against Canterbury yesterday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts