What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anthony Griffin wins powerplay: Peter Wallace bound for England

Handed a rare second chance to prove his worth at the helm of an NRL club, new Penrith coach Anthony Griffin would be understandably reticent to ask for too much more this Christmas.
However, the former Brisbane mentor may well get a bonus, with speculation rife that veteran halfback Peter Wallace is close to securing a deal to play in the English Super League in 2016.
Normally, rumours of a club captain and State of Origin representative preparing to leave just two months into the tenure of a new head coach would be considered something of a disaster, but not for Griffin. He and Wallace had a very public and ugly falling-out at Brisbane in 2013, with Wallace unceremoniously dumped from the first-grade squad by the then Broncos coach.

The ever pragmatic Griffin insisted he harboured “no hard feelings” towards Wallace, who has been diligently working with the Panthers’ rehab staff after undergoing a knee reconstruction in April.

Despite this, Panther boss Phil Gould admitted the captaincy of the club was “up for grabs”.

“With a new head coach, all those things come under review,” Gould said. “(Griffin) will make the call on who will be captain in 2016 once we get a bit closer to the season proper.”

Wallace is in the final year of his deal with Penrith and had already indicated a desire to finish his career in England. However, with a view to avoiding anything that could destabilise the young, but talented group next year, that timeline has been moved forward with a deal likely to be done well before the NRL season kicks off.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...d/news-story/18a6fd4b1f01942bff85671697eabc28

Oh dear Gould's denied it on Twitter.

PANTHER FANS Media report suggesting Peter Wallace leaving for UK prior to commencement of 2016 season are totally incorrect & without basis.

Last edited:

murraymob

First Grade
I love penrith but it seems everytime a rumour comes out then gets denied it happens .We will now just have to wait and see

ACTPanthers

Bench
Pretty sure the same crap was trotted out when the Idris rumors were going around - I don't take anything Gould says on Twitter seriously, that is until it is confirmed by the club itself.

meek

Juniors
Gould seems to me to give the impression he has high oppinions of Wallace - couldnt believe we signed him in the first place - said this on Goulds twitter acct at the time and he blocked me LOL
dont want to bag off abt Wallace - but seriously - he was useless at the broncos and has been useless for us [when on the field IMO] .
We need to move him on asap -
Cant believe he would get a gig in the UK - surely they must watch games before signing players - for christs sake even his much vaunted defence has left him - dont get me started on the lack of creativity you would think he would not improve any team .

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
At the time we signed him it was a smart buy. He was a solid and experienced halfback who would let Soward do his thing. We really had no other options aside from Blake Austin who was for some reason not rated and ditched a while before we signed Wallace.

Now we have Moylan who is an experienced first grader with more skill than Wallace. We have TMM who is one of the best young halves waiting for a shot and Cartwright and Peachey have been solid replacements when given a crack there.

The yak

Juniors
Reading that story made my Christmas then Gould spoiled it by denying it.
Everyone knows Wallace's knees are shit. The ESL will do him good.

betcats

Referee
He stopped short of saying he will be with us next season so I am going to cling on to that like it means something.

Lets try another scenario. Gould said he will start the year with us. OK then lets hope Griffen puts him in reserve grade and he does a mid season transfer to the super league.

franklin2323

Immortal
It's simple. Gus denies it until he's approached by the player. Then tells the player they can go leaving us paying $0 towards his release.... Smart business really

betcats

Referee
Whether these rumours are true or not I'm sure Griffin doesn't want Wallace as our HB, like I said in the other thread Wallace has turned 30 and had two knee recos since Griffin punted him last time. Fingers crossed they sort something out.

Status
Not open for further replies.