What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Difference Between us and them

Crazyperpman

Juniors
Sitting back and watching the Wests Tigers implode in the off season, losing capable contracted players & trying to shaft the long serving captain, while at the same time watching other clubs pick up players, sometimes unexpectedly. I was left wondering, why the hell we cant do that?

The truth is the salary cap is a joke and the fact that two clubs can spend their full salary cap and then one playing group can earn potentially double of the other playing group thru third part supplements shows this is a totally unfair system breading a two tier competition of the "haves" and "have nots" (us). We are always told we are letting players go to release tension on the cap, but then the other clubs will go and make an unexpected signing in the off season, release someone on less money so the figures never really add up.

The obvious difference is corporate support and if you are really lucky a Sugar Daddy who is willing to take a financial hit for success.

My belief is Rugby League is still a sport where you can get a good coach & motivated playing group and have success for one year, but the prolonged success has nothing to do with motivation, hard work, coaching, spirit, support or even luck. Unless you have the mighty dollar to supplement the players payment outside of the cap you will continue to lose players and subsequently lose games and ultimately become a club players do not want to come to.

Rather than sitting back and watching a ship slowly sink Wests Tigers need to approach Harry now and get him involved. Offer him whatever he wants. He is a real fan who will not relocate and truly wants success.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Harry wants ownership.

Wests don't want to forfeit their ownership to a Balmsin fan

End of story.

The same would happen in reverse. Balmain wouldn't let a rich magpies fan buy the club.

You'd think this petty shit would have died a decade ago.

But no.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Nothing against Harry T and his passion, but I'd rather WT search far and wide for another sugar daddy. This is simply because he is either in his 80's or close to it. I dont think the club can build a long term outside third party corporate backer with deep pockets with Harry T.

Would any successor honour his 'passion' commitments to WT? I doubt it and we'd be back to square one, in a worse situation, with contracted players owed big TPA's with a benefactor who no longer wishes to honour it because it wasnt their decision.

why the hell we cant do that

we have employed moron CEO's and chief executives who are or were squeaky clean and do not know of the concept of 'brown paper bags'.

we have employed morons who haven't been squeaky clean and they have been hamstrung by the joint ownership thing and they may have understood the concept of 'brown paper bags'.

We have employed CFO's who are squeaky clean :shock:

In regards to Harry T - is there any other 'white knight' out there?
Perhaps not a buyer but someone who could bring their contacts together? I believe John Coates from the AOC is a big fan, Jimmy Barnes, Dawn Fraser, former federal minister John Brown, Barry O'Farrell, Michael Clarke, Steve Waugh, Gavin Robertson,

BuffaloRules

Coach
I am of the belief that the reason Meriton have stepped down as jersey sponsors for next year is so that Harry can provide some Third party deals to several players which I hear he is doing.

The only way WT can compete is if Harry T is used and provides TPA,i wouldn't be surprised if the club is now trying to use Meriton in this capacity,players will most likely be provided with rent free accomodation,possibly in some cases even bargain realestate deals through TPA,it just seems to make sense as there is no other option when competing with the likes of Easts and the Broncos.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
NRL brought in a salary cap to even up the competition so the wealthier clubs don't go buying everyone and NRL becomes like a lot of Soccer Competitions in the world which are dominated by the same clubs and also to make sure teams don't die by over spending etc BUT the like of the rorters, broncos, dogs etc didn't like it so they convinced the NRL to bring in TPA's which have no cap on them, all these wealthier clubs did was pay the palyers via TPA's and at the same time lower their value on the salary cap, the only way it will ever be fixed is if players have a point value and clubs can only have a certain amount points per squad, clubs wont be allowed to hoard players BUT again when you have all these influential officials who have an agenda for their own clubs it will never be allowed to get in the way....

Vic Mackey

Referee
Seriously it should be a players managers job to get them Third party payments. All payments associated with a club are under the salary cap, simple.