What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarryd Hayne buggers off from NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxlegend99

Referee
Saw about the last 10 mins and he caught 2 passes with no space but didn't fumble. Looked solid. Nothing more. But my guess is his primary focus is getting rid of the tag that he has poor ball security. Certainly didn't look bad considering the pressure he was under at times.

Just a shame he didn't get the ball with a bit of space to do something highlight worthy.

Parra

Referee
Hes playing like a tight forward on league

Yep. Battering ram for the most part.

Although in this last game he was thrown five passes in a row. They get this right and he can play like we all know he can - a bit of space and a chance at a gap.

He's great in open space, and has the ability to make people miss. Just as he did in league. I think ideally in American football if he was a running back he'd be more a 3rd down passing back. Those guys really need to know protections and how to read blitz/ the defence though and he can be nowhere near that with 11 months 'in the game'.

As an early down back he seems to lack explosiveness , decisiveness and the ability to read his blocks/ wait for his blocks to form. Basically he looks like a plodder. In my opinion as a long time watcher of the sport I see nothing in him that would make a franchise develop him for 2 years from the ground up just so he could potentially be a back up back. As we see there are journey man players who have been on 5 clubs this year better equipped to be a running back then he is . They are all over the country just waiting for a chance. He offers less then they do, is 28 years old , and absolute best case if going to end up being a journey man fill in as well.

Hopefully he's enjoying his church and church connections over there otherwise he could well be looking for a new career in 6-12 months.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
He's great in open space, and has the ability to make people miss. Just as he did in league. I think ideally in American football if he was a running back he'd be more a 3rd down passing back. Those guys really need to know protections and how to read blitz/ the defence though and he can be nowhere near that with 11 months 'in the game'.

As an early down back he seems to lack explosiveness , decisiveness and the ability to read his blocks/ wait for his blocks to form. Basically he looks like a plodder. In my opinion as a long time watcher of the sport I see nothing in him that would make a franchise develop him for 2 years from the ground up just so he could potentially be a back up back. As we see there are journey man players who have been on 5 clubs this year better equipped to be a running back then he is . They are all over the country just waiting for a chance. He offers less then they do, is 28 years old , and absolute best case if going to end up being a journey man fill in as well.

Hopefully he's enjoying his church and church connections over there otherwise he could well be looking for a new career in 6-12 months.

Luke Burt would have made a much better fist of it.

Parra

Referee
He is in the 53 for the final game of the year as well. This triggers a contract clause for 2016 apparently.

Seems the niners see more in him than the death riders.

phantom eel

First Grade
...including merchandising, PR dollars over the off-season?

We just have to be realistic about his endeavours. He has done extremeley well to get 7 maybe 8 games at NFL level in his first year. However there are flaws in his game (as you'd expect, being so new), and mid-season the 49ers signed 4 or so guys in his poistion from other teams' practice squads before they gave Hayne a second look in.

Until he gets over the fumbles (at punt return) or learns to read and defend the QB against blitzes (at running back), then Hayne will remain what he was this year - just a fill in/injury cover option for a lowly ranked NFL team. And that's ok, because it's still a remarkable athletic achievement... but let's not get carried away in either our expectations or the hype.

Kornstar

Coach
Being happy to see an Australian athlete, better yet one of our teams better ever players isn't getting over excited about his ability to play a brand new sport, it is just that, excitement!

Of course he has plenty to work on and may be in and out of the team or even other teams in the future but that still constitutes living his dream and playing in the NFL does it not?

If he walked into the NFL and dominated this year there would still be people trying to bring him down.

Gronk

Staff member
Sam Burgess was a big fish in a small pond in rugby league and couldn't handle the fact he might never get the same recognition in the vastly bigger waters of union.
That's the assertion of Bath Rugby coach Mike Ford in a candid interview with UK newspaper The Daily Telegraph.

Interesting to see that Sam bailed whereas Jarryd persevered. Maybe Jarryd got his ego stroked more than Sam by the rabid Aussie media. Or maybe Jarryd's ego needs less stroking than Sam's.

Interesting to see that Sam bailed whereas Jarryd persevered. Maybe Jarryd got his ego stroked more than Sam by the rabid Aussie media. Or maybe Jarryd's ego needs less stroking than Sam's.

or maybe the world cup is over now so sam can go back to chasing the dollar :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Spare a thought for Bartman...he must be devastated...

No doubt will wait for a bad moment in such a successful person.

lingard

Coach

Maybe Jarryd's 'ego' is a myth. I think it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts