What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qld's Emerging Origin Squad Named

nqboy

First Grade
From QRL.com.au (funny it didn't make the papers)

EIGHTEEN of Queensland’s finest young league players will share time with Wayne Bennett, as they take part in the 2005 Emerging State of Origin camp in Brisbane.

Running from January 30 to February 2 the camp will prepare the state’s next wave of warriors for the ceaseless interstate battle against New South Wales.

Since its inception, the Emerging Origin concept has worked wonderfully, with younger players more adequately prepared for the task at hand.

In 2004 alone, Queensland had a number of rookie standouts, most notably Willie Tonga, Scott Prince, Billy Slater and Ben Ross.

Those selected to attend the 2005 camp are as follows:

Steve Bell (Melbourne), Neville Costigan (Brisbane), Nathan Fien (New Zealand), Craig Frawley (Canberra), Craig Hall (Newcastle), Ashley Harrison (South Sydney), Karmichael Hunt (Brisbane), Dallas Johnson (Melbourne), Tom Learoyd (Brisbane), Aaron Payne (North Queensland), Kirk Reynoldson (Newcastle), Brett Seymour (Brisbane), David Stagg (Brisbane), Johnathon Thurston (North Queensland), Shane Tronc (North Queensland), Carl Webb (North Queensland), Ty Williams (North Queensland), Michael Witt (Manly).

Bomber

Bench
Bell :-s
Costigan \\:D/
Fien :clap:
Frawley :-s
Hall :oops:
Harrison :)
Hunt 8)
Johnson :clap:
Learoyd :)
Payne \\:D/
Reynoldson :-s
Seymour :-s
Stagg O:)
Thurston ;-)
Tronc :thumnn
Webb :p
Williams :thumnn
Witt :-s

No Hodges. Does that mean he's 'emerged'?

nqboy

First Grade
I think Seymour is an important part of Qld's future, he may yet blossom into our 1st choice half, as was looking likely last year before he was injured.

Broncodroid

Juniors
I am over the moon for Tom Learoyd, I said in one other thread that I heard from an NRL official that the guy revelled in the company of the senior Aussie team when they played the Kumuls...this will be another launching pad for what I predict will be the breakout year for this guy where he will be picked up as a future star in the maroon jersey.

I am a little puzzled over Craig Hall's selection though this just shows that we in QLD are stuggling for quality in the 2 and 5 jersey.

Craig Frawley did come on early to mid year for the Bronco's and I think his selection is warranted when looking ahead to the future. Good to see Canberra fans claiming him already, shortening his name and all R-69 :lol:

Reynoldson, Tronc and perhaps Webb will be in with a chance for the QLD squad for 2005 IMO though this hinges on Webcke's availability of course. I still to this day believe we as Bronco fans will regret the day we let go Carl Webb who I believe will go onto be a great player now he is maturing as an individual. With Billy Johnston whipping him into shape...good luck handling this beast in 2005. What a rotation NQ will have!

Whats Doing

Bench
I could be wrong but I dont know how Tom Learoyd is in the maroon camp where I am certain he played his 1st game at senior level in NSW (Tamworth or somewhere from that area??) or are they bending the origin rules.

Corbin

Juniors
Steve Bell (Melbourne), :clap: :clap:
Neville Costigan (Brisbane), :clap:
Nathan Fien (New Zealand), :clap: :clap:
Craig Frawley (Canberra) :clap:
Ashley Harrison (South Sydney) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Karmichael Hunt (Brisbane), :clap: :clap: :clap:
Dallas Johnson :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kris_man

Bench
Bomber said:
Hunt 8)
Thurston ;-)

i detect a severe bias towards Broncos and Cowboys players. Steven Bell's a heaps underrated player, and Craig Hall's not a bad player either. i feel a bit bad for Chris Sheppard, i rate him big time, and i think he's better than Fien the ball-hog at least.

nqboy

First Grade
Well, it's happened. Qld haved claimed Karmichael Hunt. There's a disconcerting duality about Wayne Bennett standing up for International Rugby League on the one hand and claiming Hunt on the other.

Steven Bell may well and truly have passed the average "emerging" age but he made his NRL debut at 26 and topped the club's try scoring list that year. IIRC he's always been in the top 5 club scorer. Didn't Matt Sing make the emerging squad not too long ago, 2003 was it?

Kris_man

Bench
what's with all the anti-Frawley crap? has it to do with the fact he now plays for the Raiders?? he had a stellar 2004.

nqboy

First Grade
Whats Doing said:
I could be wrong but I dont know how Tom Learoyd is in the maroon camp where I am certain he played his 1st game at senior level in NSW (Tamworth or somewhere from that area??) or are they bending the origin rules.
That's what I thought.

Kiwi

First Grade
Kris_man said:
Bomber said:
Hunt 8)
Thurston ;-)

i detect a severe bias towards Broncos and Cowboys players. Steven Bell's a heaps underrated player, and Craig Hall's not a bad player either. i feel a bit bad for Chris Sheppard, i rate him big time, and i think he's better than Fien the ball-hog at least.

5 current Broncos in the squad, and 5 Cowboys, thats hardly alot considering they are the only two QLD teams. It's hardly biased, get rid of the chip on your shoulder mate.

Name one player that hasn't played well enough or isn't the main future star in their position from the Broncos and Cowboys in that sqaud that shouldn't be there?

Kris_man

Bench
oh no, haha, Kiwi you misinterpreted my post. i was having a go at ngboy's dissing of Reynoldson, Bell and Frawley, not the selections.

Latest posts