What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fifa world Player of the year award

Who will the Fifa Player of the year award

• Thierry Henry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andriy Shevchenko

• Ronaldinho

• Total voters

DJ Raida

Bench
BRAZILIAN Ronaldinho was named World Soccer magazine's Player of the Year today with Jose Mourinho winning Manager of 2004 and Greece taking the Team award.

Barcelona's Ronaldinho came top with 28.6 per cent of the readers' poll, beating Thierry Henry of Arsenal (22.2 per cent) and Andriy Shevchenko of AC Milan.

Mourinho, who won the Champions League with Porto before moving to Chelsea, was the overwhelming winner in the coach's section with 35.5 per cent of the vote.

Otto Rehhagel, who took Greece to an unexpected victory at Euro 2004, was runner-up and Arsenal's Arsene Wenger third.

Greece narrowly won the Team award following their shock European Championship victory in Portugal. They polled 25.1 per cent, just ahead of Arsenal, who won the Premier League title without losing a match and went on to establish an English League record of 49 games unbeaten.

Henry 'must win awards'
From correspondents in London
December 13, 2004

ARSENAL manager Arsene Wenger said it would be "scandalous" if Thierry Henry does not win the two player awards for he is in contention.

Henry is up for both the European Footballer of the Year award, the Ballon D'Or, announced live on French television later today, and FIFA's World Player of the Year crown, due to be unveiled in Zurich next Monday.

"I think it would be a scandal (if he did not win them)," said Wenger after the enthralling 2-2 London derby with Chelsea.

"I personally would give him both. When you are in his position you have to convince people in every game that you play.

"But look at what he has done compared to any other player in world in the last year – there is no comparison," added Wenger of Henry, the leading scorer in the Premiership so far this season with 15 goals.

"If you look at the number of games he plays and the number of games comparable players play, there is a massive difference. Nobody scores more goals and nobody gets as many assists as he has.

"It would be scandalous if he didn't win," said the Frenchman.

Wenger added Sweden midfielder Fredrik Ljungberg, who missed the match with a recurrence of the migraine problem that kept him out of Arsenal's midweek 5-1 Champions League win over Rosenborg, might be sidelined for at least one more game.

"Fredrik is not too well. He may well not be able to play on Sunday (away to Portsmouth).

"He had another migraine last (Saturday) night and the doctor said that he would have to miss four or five days of training."

But on the up side, Wenger's much-criticised Spanish goalkeeper, Manuel Almunia, who kept his place in the team despite a string of handling errors against Rosenborg, repaid his manager's confidence with several fine saves.

"I feel that that was one of the positives of the game. When I decided to stick with him everyone thought I was crazy," said Wenger.

"But I thought he had a good performance and it is positive for him to win the fans back and for his belief and his confidence.

"He is not a big name and so of course the scepticism is there and you have to convince other people that you are good enough. I believe he has made one step towards that."

Wenger also made it clear that midfielder Lauren, who has been linked with a move to Real Madrid, is still wanted at Highbury.

"I spoke to Lauren," said Wenger. "His contract runs out in June and he can sign for whoever he wants on the first of January (when the transfer window re-opens). We will try to keep him but at the moment he cannot sign for anyone."

Agence France-Presse

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,11674057-23215,00.html

Moffo

Referee
DJ Raida said:
henry is terrible at international level- shevchenko plays very well for his country

U watch how Henry dominates at club level though? :?:

weasel

First Grade
Ronaldinho has won the FIFA world player of the year award, edging out Thierry Henry. Andriy Shevchenko finished a distant third in the polling.

Craig

Juniors
As much as it is nice to see strikers/forwards winning, how about some defenders for example get nominated if they are vital for the club winning the league or their competition. For example somebody Ricardo Carvalho or Paulo Ferriera.

Even some influnicial (sp) player like Steven Gerrard get nominated would be nice and be in with a chance of winning.

Fair enough on Ronaldinho winning though.