What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Gayle labelled a 'creep' with a track record of disrespected female journalists

abpanther

Staff member
Exactly, he shouldn't have done it and he knows it, the ensuing media blow up is way over the top

drago brelli

Bench
1452000161271.jpg

Hey girls, don't be repulsed, the big boy's here. Gayle is a hip hop wanna be. He's the Ali G of cricket.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Just wow first off, what a storm of debate.

I preface the post

The person had every right to be offended. Just doing thier job.
The other person should have been a far more professional, and waited for a private moment.

Now what I think,

This is how they promote BBL
the-stars-cheerleaders-perform-during-the-big-bash-league-match-the-picture-id158612826

The female reporters are no better or worse than males but are sold this way.

M01-BBL-Commentators-900x506.jpg

Bh791i5CQAEP8VE.jpg

I like Neroli too, her spot on the soccer so is informative. But regardless is sold like this.

My point is talk to the executives of your TV company, who sell you as the attractive women you are, hoping it will make money, which it does, hell I would listen to to females over a clown this bloke.

Mark-Howard.jpg

Yeah all equal. Not directed from the top, not at all.

I contend you are missing the correct target. Gayle is not it.

franklin2323

Immortal
Exactly, he shouldn't have done it and he knows it, the ensuing media blow up is way over the top

What gets me is it's not like it's a slow news day.

Floods
Murder Suicide
2 women on murder charges

All of these should be far bigger stories then this

MrAnonymous

Bench
Im not siding with gayle. Im not siding with any merkin. What he said was stupid as f**k, funny though. Im more outraged how everyone has made a big deal out of it. Its getting out of hand its a f**king joke at this point. People are carrying on like he digitally raped her or some shit. As others have said if the roles were reversed it would be a different story.

Even mel McLaughlin has said herself she doesnt want a big deal about and for it to be dropped. But the media and the public keep going on about.

Our sons are going to be virgins for life the way society is going.

no name

Coach
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r-mel-mclaughlin/story-fni2fnmo-1227697651161

THIS isn’t Mel McLaughlin’s first time at the rodeo.

As Chris Gayle faces a grilling over his “disrespectful and simply inappropriate” comments to the Channel 10 reporter last night, social media has been quick to point out a January 2014 interview with Trinidadian cricketer Dwayne Bravo. During the live cross, Bravo made special mention to Ms McLaughlin after receiving his medal for man of the match.

“You’ve got a special message for one of our commentators?” the interviewer asked.

Bravo responded: “I just want to say hello to Mel, beautiful Mel, I was lucky enough to meet her once in Sydney. I just want to say hi and I see she’s still looking beautiful.”

The camera panned to McLaughlin in the studio, who appeared visibly embarrassed.

“That was slightly uncomfortable,” co-presenter Ricky Ponting said.

McLaughlin then attempted to change the topic of conversation.

“Let’s, ah, well ... let’s concentrate on what he did in the field first ... over to either of you, I don’t really care right now.”

Dwayne Bravo says hi to 'beautiful' Mel McLaughin

There was no “don’t blush, baby” in Bravo’s interview and he wasn’t brought up on the comments later.

Last night, Channel 10 commentator Mark Howard described the confrontation with Gayle as inappropriate and highlighted McLaughlin’s professionalism in the face of flirtation.

“It must be pointed out that Mel is a wonderful, professional, informed sports broadcaster and a valued member of Network Ten and on reflection, I don’t think that’s appropriate for what’s required in that format,” he said after the awkward interview.

“Chris is an entertainer and he’s a joker, but I think he probably went a bit too far there. I hope we don’t see any of it again, and Mel will be back for her next interview, prepared and ready to go as she always is.”

It’s not just cricketers who have struggled to hide their affection for McLaughlin during live interviews.

The reporter showed her class when she received an unexpected kiss from Socceroos star Tim Cahill following a 2012 match.

Despite being clearly caught off guard by the sneaky peck from the Australian striker, McLaughlin powered through and gave a skilful post-match interview.

At the time of the Cahill kiss McLaughlin was a presenter and sideline reporter with Fox Sports and quickly became a favourite with the fans.

A tongue in cheek blog post penned by SportsBet when the news broke that McLaughlin was leaving Fox Sports perfectly captured the heartache felt by fans: “Remember the scenes when Kim Jong-il passed away in North Korea? Multiply that by 10. Yep, utter devastation.”

During her time with Fox Sports she aided immensely the promotion of the A-League and was embraced by supporters of the beautiful game.

Such was the level of affection for the sideline reporter that Western Sydney Wanderers fan even sang about her during games.

In 2013, one dedicated fan on the Western Sydney Football website started a “Mel McLaughlin Appreciation Thread” — almost all of the posts are Wanderers supporters professing their love for the journalist.

Cahill actually kissed her.
He would have been sent to prison, if anyone actually watched soccer.

MrAnonymous

Bench
Neroli meadows has a head on her like a smashed crab. I dont think she is there on looks. She is there because she knows what the f**k she is going about. Like most the woman at fox sports, except tara rushton.

franklin2323

Immortal
Im not siding with gayle. Im not siding with any merkin. What he said was stupid as f**k, funny though. Im more outraged how everyone has made a big deal out of it. Its getting out of hand its a f**king joke at this point. People are carrying on like he digitally raped her or some shit. As others have said if the roles were reversed it would be a different story.

Even mel McLaughlin has said herself she doesnt want a big deal about and for it to be dropped. But the media and the public keep going on about.

Our sons are going to be virgins for life the way society is going.

I have yet to see anyone say he should of said it. Though if you don't want him hung for it then you are sexist according to most.

The Sharapova one is proof that it only goes one way. Unless the reporter said 'What do you think of my arms?' Then that response was similarly wrong. Speak to him after the press conference

undertaker

Coach
I have yet to see anyone say he should of said it. Though if you don't want him hung for it then you are sexist according to most.

The Sharapova one is proof that it only goes one way. Unless the reporter said 'What do you think of my arms?' Then that response was similarly wrong. Speak to him after the press conference

Exact same double standard which exists with teacher-student sexual relations. If it is a male teacher who initiates sexual relations with a female student, the attitude is "He is a pedophile and should go to jail", but if it is a female teacher (especially if she's very attractive) who initiates sexual relations with a male student, the attitude is "Oh, that guy got lucky!"

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I think both are extremely serious issues tbh. I don't know if I would necessarily put teachers who has sex with students who would otherwise be above the age of consent in prison but they certainly should never teach again.

Those who prey on even younger students male or female should be hammered by the law.

But yes there is a double standard because women are seen as sexually submissive and men as aggressors. I think a woman hitting on a bloke like sharapova (sp?) did has the potential for wrongness but he seemed into it so its OK.

My problem would be if a sexy woman hit on a guy and he was clearly not into it (ala with Gayle) he would be seen as a joke. That's the double standard and it would be the very clowns defending Gayle who would be bagging the hypothetical bloke out

abpanther

Staff member
I think Gayle should be punished appropriately

He should be made to play in the next Windies test match

TheParraboy

Staff member
How is complimenting a girl and asking her out innapropriate for live tv?

It's his possible rejection on the line. He handled rejection well. Good role model. Picked himself back up quickly and laughed it off despite possible embarassment in public.

What line did he cross? Dont tell pretty reporters that they're pretty and you'd like to go out for a drink with them? That is a line? Since when and how is that a line?

She is happy to ask him and others more awkward questions while he and others have just got out and stuffed up in their own office but dont tell her that she is pretty and invite her out. Imagine being asked about your form or possible retirement after a run of low scores, ambushed by her on the boundary within 30 seconds of the wicket falling. You probably think if she can handle asking that, and basically tell someone they're possibly getting too old or doing crap at their job on tv, that she can handle being told she's pretty.

It was entertaining at worst. They both work in entertainment. Those outraged by Gayle on this, I find ridiculous.

nfi

franklin2323

Immortal
I think both are extremely serious issues tbh. I don't know if I would necessarily put teachers who has sex with students who would otherwise be above the age of consent in prison but they certainly should never teach again.

Those who prey on even younger students male or female should be hammered by the law.

But yes there is a double standard because women are seen as sexually submissive and men as aggressors. I think a woman hitting on a bloke like sharapova (sp?) did has the potential for wrongness but he seemed into it so its OK.

My problem would be if a sexy woman hit on a guy and he was clearly not into it (ala with Gayle) he would be seen as a joke. That's the double standard and it would be the very clowns defending Gayle who would be bagging the hypothetical bloke out

That's the issue. If I am in that situation I'd laugh it off whereas someone else male or female may not. So does that mean that comment is any less of a comment because I didn't react?

Remember to her credit she didn't budge she kept at it and viewers started the outrage before even knowing even if she was part of the 'joke'.

In that case the male reporter not taking offence shouldn't come into it as was the case with Gayle

Pete Cash

Post Whore
That's the issue. If I am in that situation I'd laugh it off whereas someone else male or female may not. So does that mean that comment is any less of a comment because I didn't react?

Remember to her credit she didn't budge she kept at it and viewers started the outrage before even knowing even if she was part of the 'joke'.

In that case the male reporter not taking offence shouldn't come into it as was the case with Gayle

I'd like to think most people can read a persons body language well enough they can make a call.

Hitting on a person "for a laugh" on camera is a risk. Like telling an offensive joke. An offensive joke is normally OK if its funny and hitting on someone is going to be fine if the person responds in a positive manner.

I think offence is an important part of the deal. If Mel was into it good on Gayle but she was obviously visibly annoyed

Springs

First Grade
I'd like to think most people can read a persons body language well enough they can make a call.

Hitting on a person "for a laugh" on camera is a risk. Like telling an offensive joke. An offensive joke is normally OK if its funny and hitting on someone is going to be fine if the person responds in a positive manner.

I think offence is an important part of the deal. If Mel was into it good on Gayle but she was obviously visibly annoyed

Pfft yeah ok so everyone's supposed to know how their audience or target is going to react beforehand.

Remember kids, don't tell a joke or ask someone out unless you know for certain they are going to react positively. Because the difference between you being funny and being sexist and disrespectful is entirely in their reaction apparently.