What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 SG Ball / Harold Matts Junior Rep News

KAB

Juniors
Not sure but Souths won.

Souths won 7 or 8 - to 2. Souths team was their final team Coast still need to make their cuts. Plenty of improvement from both teams will occur over the next few weeks. I know the coast have another trial in two weeks.
On the number of players from the coast up at Newcastle, this will never change unless the roosters and the Crl come together and stop the kids travelling.
I read that Rick Stone is the coaching director for the Roosters on the Coast. I think his son at some stage was cut by the knights and then went to the Coast but was cut because he had a development fee. He has since played in the 20's for Newcastle. I wonder what thinks now about the Knights and all the coast kids in Newcastle.
All in all is it wonderful that all these coast are playing rep football either on the Coast at the Knights or Manly or in parramatta. It shows you the talent on offer. Good luck to them.
To date there have been I believe 24 players go on to 20/ NSW cup and possibly NRL either this season or next. Centurions have been running for 6 years. A credit to the players, and coaches trainers and the believers.
Have a great season everyone, magpie4ever Like Sharpe will play for the West Tigers 20 this year.

I agree with the top comment, does it really matter where kids play there football. knights - coast - parra - manly ect. For what ever reason kids are leaving then thats something the roosters n coast need to fix. The coast is a great breeding ground for young talent but if the coast are to slow in approaching these kids then they need to assess what ever program there running to attract kids or to keep locally home grown boys. At the same time it is a business n you cant blame kids for leaving when clubs come knocking

KAB

Juniors
I agree with the top comment, does it really matter where kids play there football. knights - coast - parra - manly ect. For what ever reason kids are leaving then thats something the roosters n coast need to fix. The coast is a great breeding ground for young talent but if the coast are to slow in approaching these kids then they need to assess what ever program there running to attract kids or to keep locally home grown boys. At the same time it is a business n you cant blame kids for leaving when clubs come knocking

I know the kids have been approached early but as the coast isn't a true NRL club they the kids families believe by getting them to play for theses NRL clubs they can make it. I do agree with a academy needs to be set up - which I'm hearing the roosters will run, this this year.
I'm a believer if a kid decides to elsewhere to play out of district they need to play in that region. This was done before in areas.

I know the kids have been approached early but as the coast isn't a true NRL club they the kids families believe by getting them to play for theses NRL clubs they can make it. I do agree with a academy needs to be set up - which I'm hearing the roosters will run, this this year.
I'm a believer if a kid decides to elsewhere to play out of district they need to play in that region. This was done before in areas.

I have heard the out of district talk going around just recently actually.
Kids like Jacob Liddle (Tigers), Daniel and Jacob Saifiti (Newcastle), Jesse Bogle (Manly), Connor Watson (Roosters), Latrell Mitchell (Roosters), DeaJay Goolagong (Souths) and Luke Sharpe (Tigers) have all come through the Central Coast Centurians' Harold Matts and S.G.Ball.

Last edited:
Rugby League Fan seems to believe that the Eels are playing a trial somewhere this weekend. If someone knows against who/where it is that information would be appreciated greatly. Thanks.

Please disregard as I now have that information supplied by the Parramatta Eels themselves and for Rugby League Fan here is the information.

Thankyou for the info appreciate it, Obscene Assassin

As for other trials this weekend sharks v knights dora creek miday start .. illawarra v nth syd TG millner 9.30am
dragons v roosters kograh 9.30am - panthers v eeles 9am blacktown patrician bros - dogs v wests camden9.30am... raiders v riverina canberra 9.30am - manly v western rams dubbo 9.30am.. this all is all info iv been told hope it helps

Jacco

Juniors
I have heard the out of district talk going around just recently actually.
Kids like Jacob Liddle (Tigers), Daniel and Jacob Saifiti (Newcastle), Jesse Bogle (Manly), Connor Watson (Roosters), Latrell Mitchell (Roosters), DeaJay Goolagong (Souths) and Luke Sharpe (Tigers) have all come through the Central Coast Centurians' Harold Matts and S.G.Ball.

Latrell Mitchell (Roosters) hardly central coast Junior ...... He from Taree and went to Newcastle Harold Matts to play u16.... He lacked the desire at training and thought his talent would get him through. He got cut early in the summer squad and then went to Central Coast. Just the kick up the @ss he needed as the rest his history .

Jacco

Juniors
How is it that outside of Newcastle, Canberra etc.... we don't see the rest of the regional areas represented in the HM and SG ball cups? They are basically the defacto state rep competitions for underage players yet vast swathes of NSW is not represented, meanwhile in Sydney we have two western Sydney academies and some very small metro rep sides like St George and Easts participating (no doubt loaded with bush, kiwi and Queenslanders)

Imo part of the much vaunted $100m a year should be put into funding under age rep sides in the bush, if they really mean what they say in keeping players in home regions longer then this is the first key step never mind any platinum league. The Riverina, Western NSW, North coast, New England are all key regions that need to be supported in doing this.

Impossible for any NSW country region team to compete in HM or SGball due to geographics of travel distance for training and game day. How do kids get to training ? You cannot have kids traveling 2 or more hours one way for training 3 times a week. Anyway most kids that have the talent and desire to play footy at the top level will relocate at 16 yrs to take up team position in any of the current clubs or travel north to titans or bronco to play in QLD CC u16 or MC u18.

Jacco

Juniors
Souths won 7 or 8 - to 2. Souths team was their final team Coast still need to make their cuts. Plenty of improvement from both teams will occur over the next few weeks. I know the coast have another trial in two weeks.
On the number of players from the coast up at Newcastle, this will never change unless the roosters and the Crl come together and stop the kids travelling.
I read that Rick Stone is the coaching director for the Roosters on the Coast. I think his son at some stage was cut by the knights and then went to the Coast but was cut because he had a development fee. He has since played in the 20's for Newcastle. I wonder what thinks now about the Knights and all the coast kids in Newcastle.
All in all is it wonderful that all these coast are playing rep football either on the Coast at the Knights or Manly or in parramatta. It shows you the talent on offer. Good luck to them.
To date there have been I believe 24 players go on to 20/ NSW cup and possibly NRL either this season or next. Centurions have been running for 6 years. A credit to the players, and coaches trainers and the believers.
Have a great season everyone, magpie4ever Like Sharpe will play for the West Tigers 20 this year.

SG ball Souths won 9 tries to 2 with only a 35% completion rate . They had a couple of their prominent players missing for this game and they made easy meals of Central Coast and Sharks at the previous trial so I suggest that they will be in the top 3 .

MyRoots

Juniors
SG ball Souths won 9 tries to 2 with only a 35% completion rate . They had a couple of their prominent players missing for this game and they made easy meals of Central Coast and Sharks at the previous trial so I suggest that they will be in the top 3 .

And unfortunately Central coast will be bottom 3, in SG and Matts

Latrell Mitchell (Roosters) hardly central coast Junior ...... He from Taree and went to Newcastle Harold Matts to play u16.... He lacked the desire at training and thought his talent would get him through. He got cut early in the summer squad and then went to Central Coast. Just the kick up the @ss he needed as the rest his history .

Maybe you should re-read my post, I didn't say Latrell was a Central Coast junior I merely stated that he came through the Central Coast Matts and Ball system duh.

Jacco

Juniors
Maybe you should re-read my post, I didn't say Latrell was a Central Coast junior I merely stated that he came through the Central Coast Matts and Ball system duh.

Ourimbah Magpies - several of your posts thus far you have advocated about the cohort of Central Coast Players playing for other clubs such as the knights - ie "#representwhereyoulive #centralcoastpride "

But you never whinged about importing Latrell when he came to Centurions or even mentioned he was an import now did you. You cannot have it both ways !

By taking in Latrell a local Central Coast Junior missed out on playing. In regards to your post #64 you may know what you are talking about but we the reader cannot read your mind and it has an inference that Latrell was a central coast junior league player, where actual fact he was not. He was an import......

Now Central Coast has one of biggest JRL competitions in CRL and has plenty of players to select for HM and Ball. However, I know of certain players year after year on Central Coast do not want to play HM and Ball as they would rather player country champs for selection in CRL Country rep u16 and u18... Good on them kids if they see playing for country selection more of an opportunity then playing HM or Ball. (for those that don't know if you play HM or Ball you are ineligible to partake in country champs or Country Selection).

City kids don't have that opportunity to play for a City Rep team. The only rep team they can go for is HM or BALL which obviously leads to NSW rep selection and that is part of the reason why city club rep teams dominate the HM and BALL, and will continue to do so.

Impossible for any NSW country region team to compete in HM or SGball due to geographics of travel distance for training and game day. How do kids get to training ? You cannot have kids traveling 2 or more hours one way for training 3 times a week. Anyway most kids that have the talent and desire to play footy at the top level will relocate at 16 yrs to take up team position in any of the current clubs or travel north to titans or bronco to play in QLD CC u16 or MC u18.

Country teams used to compete in Matts years ago when it was just a knockout comp over one weekend. But would be virtually impossible in current structure. They do have country divisional championships though.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
In the Parra vs Penrith trials today Penrith black beat Parra blue 3-1 in the 16's then in the Penrith green vs Parra gold 16's Parra won 2-1. SG Ball Parra blue beat Penrith green 4-0 then Parra white/gold beat Penrith white 4-2.

Horrible conditions meant that there was a lot of dropped ball, seemed to suit the Panthers team nicely as they were monsters compared to Parra's team.

In the Parra vs Penrith trials today Penrith black beat Parra blue 3-1 in the 16's then in the Penrith green vs Parra gold 16's Parra won 2-1. SG Ball Parra blue beat Penrith green 4-0 then Parra white/gold beat Penrith white 4-2.

Horrible conditions meant that there was a lot of dropped ball, seemed to suit the Panthers team nicely as they were monsters compared to Parra's team.

OBSCENE ASSASSIN.. Where there any standouts with either Penrith or Parra matts.? & the same for SG.ball

CC_Roosters

First Grade

How is it then that qld can have a state wide youth setup with teams in Mackay, centrl qld, toowoomba etc... no doubt kids are selected from inland towns to play for the appropriate U16/18 rep side. The $100m set to be invested would help the regions to cover the additional costs of playing in regional centres.

If we see some sort of elite academy system with the same level of coaching as Sydney then kids would only have to relocate to their main regional centre. Really there only needs to be 4/5 bush rep sides, examples below.

North west- Tamworth
North Coast- Coffs harbour
Riverina- Wagga
Western districts- Orange

If these are then linked to senior 2nd tier state sides centrally funded by the ARL then it full establishes the elite pathway in the bush.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
OBSCENE ASSASSIN.. Where there any standouts with either Penrith or Parra matts.? & the same for SG.ball

In the Harold Matthews I was impressed by the Gold #1 John Paul Nohra and #3 Josh I asked the 15's coach and he couldn't remember his last name but he looked good. I liked the talk from the #7 in the gold team, didn't have the best of skills but he was very vocal in attack which the halves in the first game for Parra weren't.

And then of course in the SG Ball I was impressed by Jesse Cronin wearing the #13 for the blue team. Not the most skilled player but in every single tackle he would dominate the ruck and really slow the Penrith forwards down, he came off the field absolutely stuffed covered head to toe in mud and a cut on his left cheek. Then in the White/Gold team I was impressed by Harry Brown who played in the #6 (couldn't see number as faded away) in the white jersey. He played very direct and supported nicely.

I wouldn't be able to tell you the standouts for Penrith sorry I was focusing on Parramatta. As a whole though the Penrith team looked overweight to me.

Ok Thanks, I totally agree with your comments on Jessie Cronin Outsatnding kid but a very consistant player, you know every week what you will get with him.! I thought the gold #1 was very good along with gold #8 & gold #9. Those 3 for me were standouts. As for the blue team blue #8 worked hard in both attack & defence as did blue #3. Will get a better look once squads are finalised this week & top 25 in both squads play the Dogs this weekend. Then i guess its up to the top 25 in both Matts & Ball to make the starting 13 with the competition only 3 weeks away

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Ok Thanks, I totally agree with your comments on Jessie Cronin Outsatnding kid but a very consistant player, you know every week what you will get with him.! I thought the gold #1 was very good along with gold #8 & gold #9. Those 3 for me were standouts. As for the blue team blue #8 worked hard in both attack & defence as did blue #3. Will get a better look once squads are finalised this week & top 25 in both squads play the Dogs this weekend. Then i guess its up to the top 25 in both Matts & Ball to make the starting 13 with the competition only 3 weeks away

Absolutely. I'll probably be heading down to the eels vs Dogs trial too depending where it is. I think the gold #9 was Kyle Schneider and the blue #8 would have been Stefano Utoikamanu

Latest posts