What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How NRL Clubs Lost A Staggering $42.7 Million

Craig Johnston

First Grade
i think the panthers did not so long ago, but the nrl said they would have to sign up with the nrl for a longer amount of time, and penrith told them to go jump and got their money else where. i heard penrith are rich in assets but needed more cash

Yes you're right I remember this, they wanted an advance on their grant for their new academy, again asking the nrl to contribute to grassroots in western Sydney, good on them for telling the nrl to shove it

Last edited:

Craig Johnston

First Grade
rusty hasn't needed to put money into souths for years

What's the interest component on that 1m a season repayment?

What's would have been the total compound interest since that original 10m was outstanding?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I suppose if the NRL was serious they could stop loaning them money and let them sink or relocate them somewhere as a final option for survival but given all the rhetoric about wanting 16 strong existing clubs it is hardly likely.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
I suppose if the NRL was serious they could stop loaning them money and let them sink or relocate them somewhere as a final option for survival but given all the rhetoric about wanting 16 strong existing clubs it is hardly likely.
There's the agenda

mongoose

Coach
So does anyone know if any clubs are in huge debt? I'm guessing the 4 clubs propped up by the NRL are, any others?

The Brisbane Lions are 13 million in debt, is any NRL club that poor?

franklin2323

Immortal
Yes you're right I remember this, they wanted an advance on their grant for their new academy, again asking the nrl to contribute to grassroots in western Sydney, good on them for telling the nrl to shove it

Yes how dare we ask for a loan to build something for the better of the game. Hardly as going to ask them for money because we can't pay our bills.

NRL want us in the black. Quite simple they pay the $3m we do a year in junior reps/Development. They won't do it so can piss off

So does anyone know if any clubs are in huge debt? I'm guessing the 4 clubs propped up by the NRL are, any others?

The Brisbane Lions are 13 million in debt, is any NRL club that poor?
No, and lets not forget they the aFL had to give the thuns an extra $2 million this past season on top of the $10million they already them per season so that they can just keep treading water.
Happy days ahead for Rugby League.

Clubs should be more financially responsible, wouldn't be surprised if some clubs run a big loss on purpose through excessive spending to be competitive just so they can run to the NRL and get handouts. There will never be 16 strong clubs due to the financial irresponsibility and mismanagement of decades old clubs who had tons of time to get it together.

Eternal wait for clubs to get it together while the game remains stagnant and standing still.

franklin2323

Immortal
Clubs should be more financially responsible, wouldn't be surprised if some clubs run a big loss on purpose through excessive spending to be competitive just so they can run to the NRL and get handouts. There will never be 16 strong clubs due to the financial irresponsibility and mismanagement of decades old clubs who had tons of time to get it together.

Eternal wait for clubs to get it together while the game remains stagnant and standing still.

Tell me a sport where every team makes a profit?

betcats

Referee
NFL Maybe?? Id hazard a guess they would be the closest out of the major leagues around the world. I know there are NBA teams losing money.

betcats

Referee
NRL want us in the black. Quite simple they pay the $3m we do a year in junior reps/Development. They won't do it so can piss off

Exactly, I would much rather our club keep investing in the junior leagues than have them making a profit. Like what is more important to RL? That the panthers turn a profit or that our junior leagues are well funded? Having both would be nice but the reality is given the nature of professional sports in general and specifically the Sydney RL market making a profit is difficult.

Pro sports teams aren't like other businesses whose main goal is to make money, being competitive and winning is usually the main goal, and in some cases for RL clubs spending on the juniors would also be more important than profit.

Again having 16 footy clubs turn a profit would be great but I think it is becoming overrated considering the role leagues clubs play.

Last edited:

Galeforce

Bench
:crazy:

Why would I give a proper response, you completely ignored the points I made and gave a one sentence reply about being defensive and lol@souffs.

I will ask again, Are the roosters poorly run? They finished with a deficit, when have they asked for more money? You make these claims based off a ridiculous article and are acting like Souths are just a well run club and not benefiting from their famous rich owner actively putting money in, recruiting star players and using some of the biggest stars in the world to market them for free.

1) How many paying members do they have ? Is it at the top of the range or closer to the bottom?
Souths 2015 , 35000 plus members

2) Are the Roosters home crowds near the top of Sydney clubs? No they are not.

3) Do the Roosters have the highest sponsorship $$ in the NRL ? No they do not

4) do the Roosters admin and run and extensive juniors program that chews up their funds?

5) Do the Roosters spend over their budget .......? must do , to be running at a loss.

6) Do the Roosters have a good team ......sure do , does that automatically mean they are well run? It does mean they spend their losses better than other clubs making losses.

Definitely the first 3 points suggests they are either poorly run or do not have the enough real support .