What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 SG Ball / Harold Matts Junior Rep News

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
got to pull you up there mate. Australia holds to World Cup. NZ beat the 3rd rank Australian team in the last 4 nations. The Poms beat the kiwi in pommyland last year.

Makes excuses for Australia but when NZ play with their 3rd string team against England nothing is mentioned.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Okay you got me there, I'll be watching the Central Coast v Parramatta at Morry Breen Oval 2morro, Parra have four white guys in their side. Apparently their halfback is a gun and is tipped to play Australian Schoolboys a year young.
Parramatta will have a distinct size advantage in the forwards over the Coast so the score could get ugly.
The Coast boys should have a nice little reception waiting for Kyle Schneider no matter the result they always save something special for former team mates.
If you go fishing you'll always get a bite from him.

Hmmm funny how my comments get passed on, you would know what I mean't if you saw how Maitland baited Kyle in last years Country Championships in Port Macquarie, he certainly didn't back down though.

Did we only have 4 white guys in our team? JP Nohra, Tyler Field, Kyle Schneider, Harry Duggan, Matt Doorey, Luke Sommerton, Jayden Tanner.

Anyway who cares what race they are? Parramatta's players were definitely bigger than the CC boys but maybe the CC team should stop picking midgets and overweight players who can't run? Against the more professional set-ups I don't think Parramatta's team will be much bigger. And it wasn't only the big boys in Stefano, and Valance that beat your team it was the footwork and work-rate of Wellington Seve, it was the professional edge of Kyle Schneider who wanted to get his hands on the ball and be quality across the park, it was the hard-hitting of Matt Doorey. Take out the big boys of our team and we'd still beat the unprofessional approach of the CC team.

What about the size of the starting front-row of the CC SG Ball team? They were huge yet it was the fitness of the Eels team that won out in the end.

MyRoots

Juniors
Did we only have 4 white guys in our team? JP Nohra, Tyler Field, Kyle Schneider, Harry Duggan, Matt Doorey, Luke Sommerton, Jayden Tanner.

Anyway who cares what race they are? Parramatta's players were definitely bigger than the CC boys but maybe the CC team should stop picking midgets and overweight players who can't run? Against the more professional set-ups I don't think Parramatta's team will be much bigger. And it wasn't only the big boys in Stefano, and Valance that beat your team it was the footwork and work-rate of Wellington Seve, it was the professional edge of Kyle Schneider who wanted to get his hands on the ball and be quality across the park, it was the hard-hitting of Matt Doorey. Take out the big boys of our team and we'd still beat the unprofessional approach of the CC team.

What about the size of the starting front-row of the CC SG Ball team? They were huge yet it was the fitness of the Eels team that won out in the end.

couldn't agree more with everything you have said here..

magpie4ever

First Grade
Makes excuses for Australia but when NZ play with their 3rd string team against England nothing is mentioned.

Because I couldn't give a flying duck about the south sea island poms (kiwis), I wouldn't know who they sent to Pommyland. What I do know is, the official world champions are Australia.

You seem a keen kiwi lover for a Parra regular.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Because I couldn't give a flying duck about the south sea island poms (kiwis), I wouldn't know who they sent to Pommyland. What I do know is, the official world champions are Australia.

You seem a keen kiwi lover for a Parra regular.

You talk about them a lot so I thought you may have been interested. And I thought you may have done some research about who other teams put in before you made an excuse for another team.

Nah I just love watching footy. It was clear that NZ didn't send over the strongest of line-ups and I thought you may have been a fan of International Rugby League as you keep stating who the world champions of Rugby League are.

magpie4ever

First Grade
You talk about them a lot so I thought you may have been interested. And I thought you may have done some research about who other teams put in before you made an excuse for another team.

Nah I just love watching footy. It was clear that NZ didn't send over the strongest of line-ups and I thought you may have been a fan of International Rugby League as you keep stating who the world champions of Rugby League are.

Nah, just know future potential talent when I see it. Unlike many so-called talent scouts.

Agree with you 100%. Yes you are correct 7 white boys in the matts parra team yesterday, take out of the equasion the parra big players like the #8 stefano and #12 valance then the rest of the players were on par with the central coast with size, so size had nothing to do with it, parra were fitter, smarter and played a better brand of footy than there opposition, and from what i herd parra have done very limited ball work. As for the comment the central coast will with have something special for there ex team mate schneider, how did that go for you.?

MyRoots

Juniors
Agree with you 100%. Yes you are correct 7 white boys in the matts parra team yesterday, take out of the equasion the parra big players like the #8 stefano and #12 valance then the rest of the players were on par with the central coast with size, so size had nothing to do with it, parra were fitter, smarter and played a better brand of footy than there opposition, and from what i herd parra have done very limited ball work. As for the comment the central coast will with have something special for there ex team mate schneider, how did that go for you.?

Totally agree with you also in regards to this post, but just a heads up m8 the teacher/ islander lover might point out your equasion spelling mistake..lol
The coast forwards were out of the contest after 10 minutes and wanted nothing to do with the contact.. when Kyle moved out of hooker to lock I think and started to run and ballplay the coast still never gave him anything special in defence..
The crl need to really look at all the persons involved with the centurions if they want to have a professional competitive team in any rep form in the near future. They have people making selections and decisions that suits there own personal agendas..

MOH

Juniors
Funny how the CC SG Ball side contains not one player from last year's Berkeley Vale under 17's who made the Grand Final and how there was a heap of Wyong players who made the SG squad - considering Wyong got hammered by the Panthers in about 4 games they played last season I have to agree with your sentiments MyRoots!!!

On a side note, the Manly ball side look to be very ill disciplined and if they continue down that road will have a very unhappy season, as was evident by their game against the Knights yesterday.

Totally agree with you also in regards to this post, but just a heads up m8 the teacher/ islander lover might point out your equasion spelling mistake..lol
The coast forwards were out of the contest after 10 minutes and wanted nothing to do with the contact.. when Kyle moved out of hooker to lock I think and started to run and ballplay the coast still never gave him anything special in defence..
The crl need to really look at all the persons involved with the centurions if they want to have a professional competitive team in any rep form in the near future. They have people making selections and decisions that suits there own personal agendas..

Okay, I've tried ignoring your jibes so now lets go to school, lets look at the Central Coast Centurians Harold Matts squad 2016, No#1 how did Woy Woy get more players in the original train squad than both of the grand final sides Erina (minor premiers 2015 & 2014) and the Entrance (premiers 2015 & 2014) or even Wyong (semi finalists 2014, 2015 and premiers 2013).
No#2, lets not forget that this Matts side was selected before the current coach got his hands on the boys, he put his hand up and inherited this squad though he did decide the final line up.
The age group has only really had four competitive sides over the years; Erina, Entrance, Wyong and Woy Woy though I'm sure Berkeley Vale proved you wrong by making the semi finals in their 1st season after coming from 2nd division "OMG how dare a 2nd division side perform above expectations".
The Harold Matts team from Saturday was totally different from the side we had in the Country Championships from U14's 2014 and U15's 2015.
1).Logan Humphreys (Newcastle), 2).Jack Brown (Newcastle), 3).MacKenzie Kay (didn't try out), 4).Toby Marks (Newcastle), 5).Jakob Cohen (didn't try out), 6).Kyle Schneider (Parramatta), 7).Phoenix Crossland (Newcastle), 8).Cody Young (injured), 9).Cameron Davies (Newcastle), 10).Jake Wadey (injured) and 13).Jye Montgmery (didn't make final squad) all missing from the squads we had.
So really with the team the Matts officials had on the weekend I'm sure they came up with the best squad that they could've.
I'm not sure why both Ryan Bender and Kai Doyle or even why both Jai Hupton or Kendell Fahey were not in the weekends team e.g. injury, displininary reasons or whatever but again thats the officials' call ?.
But in all honesty thats virtually a full starting side I had named above from players not available for various reasons, I doubt any side in the Harold Matts could perform after losing that many quality players.
I suppose thats why they call it a development competition so all the kids get a go, one kid leaves which opens an opportunity for another, really with only nine rounds and 17 sides, the competition isn't a level playing field anyway.
It all sounds very personal from you, maybe you should talk to one of their officials instead of venting on this forum ?, or maybe put your hand up and get involved yourself.
The selectors are not going to please everybody hell my son missed out and two kids were selected who were injured and didn't even take part in the program but at the end of the day thats life, he'll get his chance next season, I'm not going to jump and and down and have a cry over it.

Last edited:

MyRoots

Juniors
Okay, I've tried ignoring your jibes so now lets go to school, lets look at the Central Coast Centurians Harold Matts squad 2016, No#1 how did Woy Woy get more players in the original train squad than both of the grand final sides Erina (minor premiers 2015 & 2014) and the Entrance (premiers 2015 & 2014) or even Wyong (semi finalists 2014, 2015 and premiers 2013).
No#2, lets not forget that this Matts side was selected before the current coach got his hands on the boys, he put his hand up and inherited this squad though he did decide the final line up.
The age group has only really had four competitive sides over the years; Erina, Entrance, Wyong and Woy Woy though I'm sure Berkeley Vale proved you wrong by making the semi finals in their 1st season after coming from 2nd division "OMG how dare a 2nd division side perform above expectations".
The Harold Matts team from Saturday was totally different from the side we had in the Country Championships from U14's 2014 and U15's 2015.
1).Logan Humphreys (Newcastle), 2).Jack Brown (Newcastle), 3).MacKenzie Kay (didn't try out), 4).Toby Marks (Newcastle), 5).Jakob Cohen (didn't try out), 6).Kyle Schneider (Parramatta), 7).Phoenix Crossland (Newcastle), 8).Cody Young (injured), 9).Cameron Davies (Newcastle), 10).Jake Wadey (injured) and 13).Jye Montgmery (didn't make final squad) all missing from the squads we had.
So really with the team the Matts officials had on the weekend I'm sure they came up with the best squad that they could've.
I'm not sure why both Ryan Bender and Kai Doyle or even why both Jai Hupton or Kendell Fahey were not in the weekends team e.g. injury, displininary reasons or whatever but again thats the officials' call ?.
But in all honesty thats virtually a full starting side I had named above from players not available for various reasons, I doubt any side in the Harold Matts could perform after losing that many quality players.
I suppose thats why they call it a development competition so all the kids get a go, one kid leaves which opens an opportunity for another, really with only nine rounds and 17 sides, the competition isn't a level playing field anyway.
It all sounds very personal from you, maybe you should talk to one of their officials instead of venting on this forum ?, or maybe put your hand up and get involved yourself.
The selectors are not going to please everybody hell my son missed out and two kids were selected who were injured and didn't even take part in the program but at the end of the day thats life, he'll get his chance next season, I'm not going to jump and and down and have a cry over it.

Well you do understand that this is a forum for discussion? you can call it personal venting if you choose.. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion and thoughts.
I also don't need schooling in regards to this matter either but thanks anyways, as it appears I already know far more on the subject and this particular age group then you judging from all your posts

MyRoots

Juniors
Well here is another unprofessional act from the Centurions..
I have received a copy a few weeks ago (source wont be disclosed) a team list for there up and coming country champions under 16's squad for this year.. picked already? no trial or current look at players just the coaches personal wants..
What's your thoughts Mr Nelson? or are you not affiliated with this squad?
No personal vendetta against the coast at all, just looking for there to be an even avenue for all up and coming talented juniors into the system without the need for suck-holing to the hierarchy..

I totally agree with every comment in regards to last weekends game, you say it was over after 10 minutes I say it was over before kick off, as for the welcoming for Kyle, they should"ve baked him a cake instead.
I was talking to Kyles dad the other day and he said Parramatta were also streets ahead of Newcastle in professionalism etc, etc but when Parras top squad are virtually playing the best of what is left, what do you expect.
I agree with MOH and said as much in an above post about the selection of so many Woy Woy players ahead of players from 2015 grand finalists the Entrance and Erina in the Harold Matts squad.
As for a selection format, what do you suggest MyRoots (whoever you are) years ago any Tom, Dick and Harry could turn up and trial for spots and sometimes Harry who played well on the day somehow forced his way into the squad which when the team finally played people would say "how the hell did he get in ?".
Surely consistancy over a season or two is the best way to judge ?.
Also when the same kids are getting selected in the school representative system (chosen by different selectors) is another good indication.
I don't know all the answers and don't pretend to. I just want the Coast to perform strongly as an whole and show the talent we actually do have up here.
If I was picking the Harold Matts squad both the Entrance and Erina would've dominated selections with the rest of the spots filled by Wyong, Woy Woy and maybe a handful of other clubs but I'm sure people would complain about that also.

Last edited:

Sorry I stand corrected five not four starting players who weren't islanders with two off of the bench

Last edited:
I totally agree with every comment in regards to last weekends game, you say it was over after 10 minutes I say it was over before kick off, as for the welcoming for Kyle, they should"ve baked him a cake instead.
I was talking to Kyles dad the other day and he said Parramatta were also streets ahead of Newcastle in professionalism etc, etc but when Parras top squad are virtually playing the best of what is left, what do you expect.
I agree with MOH and said as much in an above post about the selection of so many Woy Woy players ahead of players from 2015 grand finalists the Entrance and Erina in the Harold Matts squad.
As for a selection format, what do you suggest MyRoots (whoever you are) years ago any Tom, Dick and Harry could turn up and trial for spots and sometimes Harry who played well on the day somehow forced his way into the squad which when the team finally played people would say "how the hell did he get in ?".
Surely consistancy over a season or two is the best way to judge ?.
Also when the same kids are getting selected in the school representative system (chosen by different selectors) is another good indication.
I don't know all the answers and don't pretend to. I just want the Coast to perform strongly as an whole and show the talent we actually do have up here.
If I was picking the Harold Matts squad both the Entrance and Erina would've dominated selections with the rest of the spots filled by Wyong, Woy Woy and maybe a handful of other clubs but I'm sure people would complain about that also.

Yes you are right with a few things mate, surely consistency over the years puts you in good stead for rep selections, sometimes i wonder why they have open trials and give everyone an opportunity to trail but thats the problem division 2-3 players turn up and unfortunately there out of there league, (duty of care to the players must be considered) that then gives you a false indication on certain players, was that player really good or was he only good because the opposition was really bad. but then on the other hand if its a selection process and your out of favour with one of the selectors - coaching staff then you wont be given an opportunity to trial, or worst, you can trail and go good but you will never be considered for selection.. Alot of organisations do have people in high places that let the job go to there head and allow personal vendettas dictate who they pick and who they dont pick and there is no way around this, each coach has there own coaching styles and they pick players to implement there structures, its not allways the best players that get pick it could be a matter of little johnny best suits this coaches style and is the right fit for the team. There is no right or wrong answer here and we can only hope in the future the right kids get picked for these teams because we all want our local teams being competitive and able to compete and show everyone what the area truely has to offer.

KAB

Juniors
Yes you are right with a few things mate, surely consistency over the years puts you in good stead for rep selections, sometimes i wonder why they have open trials and give everyone an opportunity to trail but thats the problem division 2-3 players turn up and unfortunately there out of there league, (duty of care to the players must be considered) that then gives you a false indication on certain players, was that player really good or was he only good because the opposition was really bad. but then on the other hand if its a selection process and your out of favour with one of the selectors - coaching staff then you wont be given an opportunity to trial, or worst, you can trail and go good but you will never be considered for selection.. Alot of organisations do have people in high places that let the job go to there head and allow personal vendettas dictate who they pick and who they dont pick and there is no way around this, each coach has there own coaching styles and they pick players to implement there structures, its not allways the best players that get pick it could be a matter of little johnny best suits this coaches style and is the right fit for the team. There is no right or wrong answer here and we can only hope in the future the right kids get picked for these teams because we all want our local teams being competitive and able to compete and show everyone what the area truely has to offer.

It's great this stirs up discussion. We have to remember your above comment on we only want the best for our area. I'm sure if you went down to a Training session to observe at any club they wouldn't mind. The work / education that a lot of these boys get is unreal. With limited funding and outside distractions from all areas, the kids in all teams are doing really well. Over the years the Coast has developed some great kids, but also given opportunities to many others. Some of the people on here like to bring down what the coast does or doesn't do, I would suggest that they put there personal vendettas aside -

Latest posts