What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New trial rules

_snafu_

Immortal
Will Jared Maxwell work out that by forcing the ball in the in-goal area will actually mean a try? Or will it be a differential penalty?

The Engineers Room

First Grade
odd that they need to create a specific rule against players obstructing defenders from getting to a drop goal kicker when there is already an obstruction rule in place.

And they have ignored it for the last 10+ years.

And not just field goals but kicks downfield. I am glad if they actually enforce it.

I see. I agree that there are bigger issues to tackle then.

One would be the man playing the ball shoving the marker out of position and essentially taking them out if the equation. Happens way more than charge down blocking or incorrect play the ball.

And when the man playing the ball takes a step left or right and they ping the marker for not being square. Shits me every time.

Danish

Referee
And they have ignored it for the last 10+ years.

And not just field goals but kicks downfield. I am glad if they actually enforce it.

It will be enforced until about round 4, then they'll all pat themselves on the back that their "obstruction of defenders chasing kickers" KPI has reduced to the level they wanted, and promptly forget about it. We'll then see more obstructions than ever by round 18

POPEYE

Coach
And when the man playing the ball takes a step left or right and they ping the marker for not being square. Shits me every time.

The step forward past the point of tackle should be the main concern, makes not touching the ball with a foot insignificant in comparison

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Missed the ball here. With less interchabges, wrestling is going to return with a vengeance.

No effort here to crack down on it.

pHyR3

Juniors
It's 30secs for drop out.

35secs for scrums.

should be 30seconds for everything, make it an easy number to remember. 30, 45, 60 that kind of stuff. 30 and 35 is arbitrary

Differential penalties should be used more often. Especially for grey areas aka coin toss decisions like strips

are differential penalties where you can't kick for touch (as well as no penalty kick)??

if so, they should definitely be used a lot more for 50/50 calls. that minimises the refs influence especially in golden point. Differential penalties for strips, poor play the balls, unintentional offsides etc.

Normal penalties for obstructions, intentional offsides, high shots etc.

Bandwagon

Staff member
The step forward past the point of tackle should be the main concern, makes not touching the ball with a foot insignificant in comparison

Should let the PTB be contestable ( raked ) as soon as you step off the mark, that'd stop it quick smart.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
interesting, maybe a last 10 minutes rule is better?

The introduction of the shot clock means players must assemble for a scrum in 35 seconds, and 30 seconds for a drop-out restart. The clock is shown on the big screen at stadiums for players and fans to see.
It was designed to keep games flowing but there were a number of occasions at Suncorp Stadium where all the players were ready to pack a scrum but instead, they waited out the duration of the shot clock.
Whether players are as energetic in NRL games minus the unlimited interchange available on Saturday (and 20-minute quarters) seems doubtful but it will provide urgent food for thought for the game's administrators as the season looms.
"I'll be honest with you, I thought it gave us a chance to have a rest, if anything. There were a few times there early on when we were at the scrum with about 25 seconds left on the clock," Smith said after the game.
"I used my brains a bit and told the boys to wait another 20 seconds. It might change a little bit. It might be different when you take that unlimited interchange out of the game and there are some tired bodies getting around.
"But that's the way it panned out tonight."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...es-bunker-and-shot-clock-20160214-gmtuts.html

POPEYE

Coach
Should let the PTB be contestable ( raked ) as soon as you step off the mark, that'd stop it quick smart.

G'day ol' mate . . . be good to see an attacker get penalised for shortening the 10 just as defenders do

Also, you may be able to change that 'pile of shit' avatar this year

DiegoNT

First Grade
Differential penalties should be used more often. Especially for grey areas aka coin toss decisions like strips

Definitely agree on this one.
Strips are down to interpretation, very hard to judge even in a slow motion replay let alone live and at full speed.

Frailty

First Grade
are differential penalties where you can't kick for touch (as well as no penalty kick)??

if so, they should definitely be used a lot more for 50/50 calls. that minimises the refs influence especially in golden point. Differential penalties for strips, poor play the balls, unintentional offsides etc.

Normal penalties for obstructions, intentional offsides, high shots etc.

Differential penalties allow kicks for touch. They just do not allow the option for a penalty kick for goal. Differential penalties were only previously given for scrum infringements.

Latest posts