What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and TheRam's whinging XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfella

Coach
This barrister loves a media bite.

Responsible for a series of the silliest statements I've read for a while.

Bringing a few doozies out re Hopoate senior at the moment too.

Delboy

First Grade
A lawyer talking up her side of the case, not surprising

No doubt the club has advice that supports their side of the issue, depends a lot on the case being judged a civil matter or directly affecting the cap. No doubt the players would be able to take action against the NRL if their income was impacted by any action they take if forced to cancel contracts. Who knows ?

The Colonel

Immortal
Hooker - go after Manaia Cherrington. I like Pritchard, King and Peats but Cherrington is being stuffed around at the Tigers and is a player of the future.

T.S Quint

Coach
While I do think that Hopiate is due some compensation from us, I don't see why any payout should fall under the salary cap considering a contract was never registered with the NRL.

El Diablo

Post Whore
he should be entitled to nothing

Jennings, Roberts, Walker and Hiku all secured good contracts months after Hopoate

he got less because he's crap

Noise

Coach
if players can sue clubs then clubs should be able to sue players who pull out of contracts like DCE did

DCE didn't pull out of his contract. He activated a get out clause that was included in his contract. Not sure how you would be able to sue for something that was written into his contract???

Bandwagon

Staff member
You would have to think the club has already discussed the ramifications of any settlement with the NRL. Defending a case in the supreme court will be very expensive, and avoiding that cost is at the very least an option any sensible business would explore.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Everyone knows my thoughts about this, I always thought that this may not end well.. Anyway, I hope I'm wrong.

he should be entitled to nothing

Jennings, Roberts, Walker and Hiku all secured good contracts months after Hopoate

he got less because he's crap

That's your considered legal opinion is it?

He was placed in a position where there were unambiguously fewer employment opportunities than at the time of the original 'contract'. If the court determines in his favour, it is just a question of estimating the damages....but they sure as hell are not zero.

if players can sue clubs then clubs should be able to sue players who pull out of contracts like DCE did

DCE didn't pull out of any contract. He exercised the rights in his contract, and those were rights which every party to the contract was aware of when they decided to act as they did.

Bandwagon

Staff member
If it does end poorly for the club, it put's the NRL in an unenviable position. They can't make the club shed players, after all they too have enforceable contracts.

If they count the money towards the cap, and we don't have the room for it ( which I would assume is the case ) then they cannot allow us to play finals footy. That means a substantial loss of points, ala the punishment handed out to the Dogs, or playing for no points ala the punishment metered out to the Storm.

As far as breaches go, I just can't see how they could justify those sort of punishments for this level of breach. When compared to that of the Storm or Dogs, it pales into insignificance.

Gronk

Staff member
This barrister loves a media bite.

Responsible for a series of the silliest statements I've read for a while.

Bringing a few doozies out re Hopoate senior at the moment too.

A lawyer talking up her side of the case, not surprising

No doubt the club has advice that supports their side of the issue, depends a lot on the case being judged a civil matter or directly affecting the cap. No doubt the players would be able to take action against the NRL if their income was impacted by any action they take if forced to cancel contracts. Who knows ?

Agree. Can't remember when I have ever heard a barrister use such language. It suggests desperation to settle out of court rather than allow the matter be heard IMHO.

Avenger

Immortal
Agree. Can't remember when I have ever heard a barrister use such language. It suggests desperation to settle out of court rather than allow the matter be heard IMHO.

One thing that Judges hate is Council making comments to the media prior to any court matter. This woman sounds like a typical ambulance chaser.

Bandwagon

Staff member
That's your considered legal opinion is it?

He was placed in a position where there were unambiguously fewer employment opportunities than at the time of the original 'contract'. If the court determines in his favour, it is just a question of estimating the damages....but they sure as hell are not zero.

If the court were to accept that argument, I'd reckon that damages would be limited to the difference between the initial "contract' and the lesser of either the revised contract and the Dogs contract he signed.

At the very least I would think that would be the upper limit of any sum that could be counted towards our cap by the NRL.

I think it would also be fair to say that where the club is liable for the creation of the situation that limited his potential opportunities would be only for this year, as it's pure speculation as to what may or may not have happened next year.

Forty20

First Grade
She also defends his old man, definately an desperate ambulance chaser.

I am pretty sure she takes up just about any NRL case she can get (Hopoate, Dylan Walker, Todd Carney - seriously...look at her clients!), seems to be trying to establish herself as the go-to counsel for aggrieved players.

So yes, the tag of Ambulance Chaser is very fair I feel.

eel speel

Juniors
I am pretty sure she takes up just about any NRL case she can get (Hopoate, Dylan Walker, Todd Carney - seriously...look at her clients!), seems to be trying to establish herself as the go-to counsel for aggrieved players.

So yes, the tag of Ambulance Chaser is very fair I feel.

Add Farah, John Hoppa to that list too. She is the "Chris Murphy" of the league world.

Status
Not open for further replies.