What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Season Preview

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons Season Preview

Tue 23rd February, 12:00PM A A

The St George Illawarra Dragons 2016 season has been previewed by NRL.com
Following a largely positive 2015 that ended with a golden-point elimination final loss to the Bulldogs, 2016 shapes as an important year for the Dragons. After taking control of the side mid-way through 2014, coach Paul McGregor has had enough time now to stamp his own authority on what appears to be a very competitive-looking St George Illawarra squad that should again be challenging for a place in the top eight and will be pumped up for the season.
Gains And Losses
Gains: Kurt Mann (Melbourne Storm), Siliva Havili (New Zealand Warriors), Mose Masoe (St Helens RLFC), Dunamis Lui (Manly Sea Eagles), Tyrone McCarthy (Hull Kingston Rovers), Sebastine Ikahihifo (New Zealand Warriors), Kalifa Faifai Loa (Gold Coast Titans), Josh McCrone (Canberra Raiders), Taane Milne (Sydney Roosters), Adam Quinlan (St Helens), Tim Lafai (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs).
Losses: Trent Merrin (Penrith Panthers), Dan Hunt (retirement), Charly Runciman (Widnes Vikings), Nathan Green (Manly Sea Eagles) Rory O'Brien (Parramatta Eels), Eto Nabuli (rugby union), Justin Hunt (Wests Tigers), Heath L'estrange (retirement), Adam Tuimavave-Gerard (released), Jack Kavanagh (released), Mark Ioane (London Broncos), Craig Garvey (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs).
Trent Merrin will no doubt be a huge loss in the middle of the field, but there are a number of ready-made replacements able to step up. Dunamis Lui and Sebastine Ikahihifo can both fill Merrin's position, while Jack de Belin and Mike Cooper are also candidates to start at lock after playing there at times in 2015. Kurt Mann looms as a key recruit, with Adam Quinlan and Tim Lafai adding to the embarrassment of riches McGregor has at his disposal across the backline.
What We Know
The Red V are beginning to build some serious momentum, with some quality recruits to accompany an already solid base that finished eighth in 2015. New co-captain Gareth Widdop has developed into one of the more composed halves in the competition and is crucial to the side's chances each week, and after years of crying out for a 120+kg prop, the Dragons finally have their man in the form of reformed wrecking ball Russell Packer.
The Unknowns
There's been plenty of talk over the off-season, but it looks as though Josh Dugan is set to revert to the centres after playing there for much of 2014. That move means former Storm centre Kurt Mann is likely to start the season in the No.1 jersey. While it gives the Dragons a potent strike weapon out wide, it could cost them in kick returns, with Dugan often at his damaging best when running the ball back at a broken defence.
Rookie Watch
Young half Drew Hutchison made three NRL appearances in his debut year, and is first in line to replace either Widdop or Benji Marshall should either be unavailable for selection. Many have touted Hutchison as a future star, and with Marshall in the final year of his current deal it will be interesting to see what sort of opportunities Hutchison is afforded. Former Roosters NYC outside back Taane Milne could come into calculations at some point this season but faces plenty of opposition for places in a crowded Red V three-quarter line.
Depth
Put simply, the Dragons' depth in 2016 is phenomenal. McGregor has targeted having two players for every position and he's essentially achieved that goal with his current squad. Looking at the back five, it's going to be hard cramming Dugan, Mann, Euan Aitken, Kalifa Faifai Loa, Kiti Glymin, Tim Lafai, Peter Mata'utia, Adam Quinlan and Jason Nightingale into the starting side, while Hutchison and Quinlan also provide coverage in the halves for Widdop and Marshall. Competition for places in the pack is just as fierce, with Packer, Leeson Ah Mau, Cooper, Ben Creagh, de Belin, Joel Thompson, Tyson Frizell, Ikahihifo, Lui, Jake Marketo and Will Matthews all mounting strong cases for inclusion. Kiwi international dummy-half Siliva Havili also provides another option to Mitch Rein at hooker. Whether injuries or rep selection cause disruption, the Dragons have great coverage.
Fantasy Bankers
Mike Cooper ($466,000) is a prime candidate to reprise his role at lock to start 2016. With the England international averaging just over 52 points per game in 2015, you'd expect he would better or at the very least match last year's huge workrate. Also appealing as a dual FRF/2RF.
Coach Watch
A much-loved figure at the club, 2016 is the year for 'Mary' to deliver. With the squad now largely representing his vision, the Dragons must continue to develop on last year's eighth-place finish. While the structures at the club very much revolve around McGregor, anything less than another finals appearance would represent a below-par season.
Crystal Ball
The Dragons have certainly bolstered their squad, with the incoming players offering something different to those who departed. They have the players to again challenge for a spot in the top half of the ladder, and should be jostling for positions around the bottom half of the top eight, but whether they have the quality of other sides in a similar position remains to be seen. We feel there might just be too many other sides with the potential for greater improvement to leapfrog St George Illawarra into the top eight.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/02/23/dragons_season_previ.html

BrissyRedV

Bench
I always enjoy reading previews and opinions especially well researched ones backed up with facts.

Highland Saint

Juniors
I can't see us finishing bottom 4 and do agree that 5 - 12 is going to be super competitive. Luck and injuries will play a big part in the make up. Quietly confident we'll make the eight again though

TruSaint

Referee
Depth
Put simply, the Dragons' depth in 2016 is phenomenal.
McGregor has targeted having two players for every position and he's essentially achieved that goal with his current squad. Looking at the back five, it's going to be hard cramming Dugan, Mann, Euan Aitken, Kalifa Faifai Loa, Kiti Glymin, Tim Lafai, Peter Mata'utia, Adam Quinlan and Jason Nightingale into the starting side, while Hutchison and Quinlan also provide coverage in the halves for Widdop and Marshall. Competition for places in the pack is just as fierce, with Packer, Leeson Ah Mau, Cooper, Ben Creagh, de Belin, Joel Thompson, Tyson Frizell, Ikahihifo, Lui, Jake Marketo and Will Matthews all mounting strong cases for inclusion. Kiwi international dummy-half Siliva Havili also provides another option to Mitch Rein at hooker. Whether injuries or rep selection cause disruption, the Dragons have great coverage.

This is where i see our strength

Mr Red

First Grade
Keys... Barge ass needs to steer the ship a lot better than last year

Potential weakness .... Second phase play could be lacking without Merrin, do we have any other forwards capable of consistent off loads?

Attacking structure needs a massive improvement . We seemed to be able to control possession and field position last season, but couldn't convert that into points ....

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Depth
Put simply, the Dragons' depth in 2016 is phenomenal.
McGregor has targeted having two players for every position and he's essentially achieved that goal with his current squad. Looking at the back five, it's going to be hard cramming Dugan, Mann, Euan Aitken, Kalifa Faifai Loa, Kiti Glymin, Tim Lafai, Peter Mata'utia, Adam Quinlan and Jason Nightingale into the starting side, while Hutchison and Quinlan also provide coverage in the halves for Widdop and Marshall. Competition for places in the pack is just as fierce, with Packer, Leeson Ah Mau, Cooper, Ben Creagh, de Belin, Joel Thompson, Tyson Frizell, Ikahihifo, Lui, Jake Marketo and Will Matthews all mounting strong cases for inclusion. Kiwi international dummy-half Siliva Havili also provides another option to Mitch Rein at hooker. Whether injuries or rep selection cause disruption, the Dragons have great coverage.

This is where i see our strength

Mate I feel great after reading your comments...we will be more than competitive I'm sure

Minh

First Grade
There's some expectations this year and I think making the 8 would be a great result if we can get there....it wont be easy but I think we have a good shot.

mickeylane

Bench
As long as we win 50% of our first 8 games Dragons top 6 finish no sweat... We won't lose as many players during rep season which will allow us to catch up a bit mid season

We have a great forward pack that's aggressive - a very good hooker/forward in Havilli plus a backline that features up to 4 match winners in their day.... Our attack will improve 100% w Demetriou steering the attacking plays.. We already saw glimpses of the attacking loops against AUCKLAND...

Key that we get thru unscathed in those first 8 rounds.. Horrendous draw!!

BennyV

Referee
Keys... Barge ass needs to steer the ship a lot better than last year

Potential weakness .... Second phase play could be lacking without Merrin, do we have any other forwards capable of consistent off loads?

Attacking structure needs a massive improvement . We seemed to be able to control possession and field position last season, but couldn't convert that into points ....

Not sure about consistent off loads, but then again Merrin wasn't consistent with his - I'd say about 60% of his offloads were worth it, the rest were a case of him standing in the tackle and blindly throwing the ball.

In terms of offloading ability, I'd say Cooper, JDB, Ah Mau and Frizz are all fairly capable (although Friz's offloading on the edge is slightly different) but I'm hoping they've drilled some awareness into the forwards and guys like Mann/Rein to be pushing up and looking for an offload, this is where we are lacking.

saintjeff

Juniors
Merrin was great for us ,but i agree he was offloading at the wrong time .I dont think he Will be as a big loss as people and the media think
Also the media thinking that the raiders eels and co will jump above us they always predict this but deliver nothing

Last edited:

Cagey Mac

Bench
I think that we are improved in every position across the park.
We are bigger, faster, stronger and more experienced than in the beginning of 2015.
Our depth is unparalleled.
I say every position because synergies strengthen those who retained existing roles.
Young players too like Aitken, De Belin, Mata'utia and Au Mau have improved.
This is the best roster we've had since 2010
We will make top six and if Mosoe is back for the finals.....
Look out!

giboz71

First Grade
I still think we lack that so called "x-factor" in and around the ruck.

With reduced interchange and tiring forwards, speedy halves and hookers are going to be dangerous for opposing defences. Guys like Milford, Segeyaro, the Nikorima brothers, Damien Cook, Matt Parcell even a guy like Ben Barba will wreak havoc late in games.

Benji in his younger days could have played this role, but as a half plays a different role now. We don't have anyone really that can play this role (except maybe Quinlan?)

This is probably our biggest weakness.

getsmarty

Immortal
Thompson: Right Attitude Is Key

Wed 24th February, 07:00AM A A

St George Illawarra Dragons second-rower Joel Thompson has called on his teammates to approach games with the right attitude this season.
The Dragons have returned from a week-long camp across the ditch which culminated in a clinical 46-10 win over the New Zealand Warriors in their pre-season trial fixture at Trafalgar Park, Nelson on Saturday.

The five-time Indigenous All-Star believes that the result was a fair reflection on he and his teammates approaching the game with respect and positivity and believes this will be key to commencing their new campaign.
“It was a great week over there for the boys and we managed to not only hang-out with one another a lot but also really get to know one another,” said Thompson.
“All the new boys have fit in really well and what’s so good about the playing group here is that we’re all pretty tight.
“Everyone mixes in with one another and get along.
“It was a positive week for us which ended with a strong performance against the Warriors.
“We had put in a disappointing performance in the Charity Shield and probably didn’t do what we had spoken about during the pre-season or stick to what we had trained for.
“This time around we came into the game with the right attitude and it was reflected with getting the result.
“I’ve missed my family so much being away for as long as I had and was so excited to just get home.
“It was a tough two weeks away but they were enjoyable as I got to do some important work whilst part of the Indigenous All-Star camp visiting schools.
“When you approach it with that point of view they were positive weeks.”

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/02/24/thompson_.html

V

Vasilevsky

Personally I've f**king had it with these ******* writing off the Dragons.

If Mann is a good fullback and Mary doesn't be obstinate and keep picking Lafai when players like Aitken and Milne are available the Dragons will be pushing for the premiership. If Mann isn't the fullback we hope he will be, bottom of the top 8.

You read it here first!

Redvpassion

Juniors
Personally I've f**king had it with these ******* writing off the Dragons.

If Mann is a good fullback and Mary doesn't be obstinate and keep picking Lafai when players like Aitken and Milne are available the Dragons will be pushing for the premiership. If Mann isn't the fullback we hope he will be, bottom of the top 8.

You read it here first!

I think the difference this season you will see is the depth compared to last year. I dont think Mary will have any issues dropping players when he can see talent in our depth.