What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Half Back situation beyond 2016

mickeylane

Bench
As its panning out it looks like the below scenarios are all becoming clear..

CRONK to resign w Storm thanks to Bellammy staying
ElLGEY to accept huge Titans offer
KEARY to move to Gold Coast
REYNOLDS to stay put at Souths

There's only 2 scenarios that look likely for Dragons half back situation beyond 2016

1. Benji resigns for one season
2. Luke BROOKES

I'm betting 50/50 atm for one of the above scenarios to become a reality over the next 4 weeks... I think Benji will be along w Dugan and WIDDOP our players of the year..

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Why do you think Keary is going to the titans?

I'd be chasing Keary, he is young and has already won a comp. He would combine well with widdop.

Jubileeboy

First Grade

There's only 2 scenarios that look likely for Dragons half back situation beyond 2016

2. Luke BROOKES

I'm betting 50/50 atm for one of the above scenarios to become a reality over the next 4 weeks... I think Benji will be along w Dugan and WIDDOP our players of the year..

I don't see how any of your first 4 scenarios are 'clear' ? Not saying it won't happen but there's a lot of deck chair shuffling going on at the moment.
Why would Titans have Elgey and Keary?
The other one to consider in all of this is Pearce. His future remains uncertain.

BennyV

Referee
Brooks has horrible defense... Pass

You don't buy halfbacks for defense.

2. Luke BROOKES

I don't see how any of the above are clear except possibly for Elgey staying with Titans (if their rumoured offer is anywhere near true). But I especially call bullshit of Keary going to Gold Coast. They spend decent coin on Tyrone Roberts and also recruited Ash Taylor from Broncos, who will get a good run this year with Elgey's injury. In addition to Elgey. Keary wil NOT be going to Titans.

In saying that, I'd be happy with, in order, Reynolds, Keary or Brookes (assuming Cronk and Elgey stay put). Also wouldn't be against Benji re-signing if he and Widdop click this year.

giboz71

First Grade
Nothing wrong with keeping Benji around if we don't land a long term option (like Elgey).

But what I think we should be looking for is how well Benji and Widdop combine these next 2 months. Haven't really seen them click yet and whatever good things they did last year, they did as individuals. There was only really 1 or 2 games that they clicked as a pairing. Widdop looks like he's going to be here long term so Benji is the one on notice. We can't persist with 2 5/8's if our attack is going to be crap again.

Hopefully having Mann at FB and strike out wide with Dugan, Lafai and now Aitken, Benji and Widdop should have more options to show their stuff.

Mr Red

First Grade
i think depending on the improvement Hutch shows this season it could determine the fate of Barge Ass.
if Hutch shows development, but the coaching staff think he wont be ready until 2018, they may keep barge ass for 1 more season to allow a smooth transition for Hutch.
if Hutch doesnt look like cutting it, they will move quickly to replace both him and barge ass for 2017.

Redvpassion

Juniors
If Benji still has the passion and combines very well with Widdop this year and results are happening, i would rather extend his contract than just buying a half for the sake of buying a player if there is no quality half on the market.

Its only fair Benji gets given a fair chance this year to prove himself.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Lets wait and see what happens in 2016 before we look at 2017. If Benji kills it which I believe he will he will be around 1-2 years longer. Happy days.

If not then they can start look elsewhere. Only thing stopping Benji getting an upgrade is injury as he has probably more skill than anything else out there bar JT.

Dragsters

First Grade
I rate Reynolds and brooks reminds a lot of a young JT in that he has attacking flare but defensive deficiencies and we all know how JT turned out.

In saying that I'd be happy to keep benji if he plays well (which I think he will) for maybe this year and next and have him tutor Wallace to take over if he goes well.

Not sold on hutch yet.

rasaint

Juniors
OK let's talk about 1st grade halfbacks but please no'hutch'. Benji is fine for 16and 17. Good as any and 2 years younger than Cronk. That young Wallace seems very good to me.

TheRev

First Grade
imo its crunch time in the next 3 months, we have 6 halves on the books:

o Hutch has to atleast dominate for the cutters.. if he cant do that we cant have him holding out the next generation of kids, we already lost Crook, and now Nona & Wallace are next if they dont get any game time for the Cutters

o McCrone im annoyed about for same reasons as above, hes holding out kids and id like to think his 1st grade experience is a handy asset if Benji breaks his leg tomorrow.. but will he get a spot over Hutch? Again hes holding a spot that Nona or Wallace (or another young signing) could be using in the Cutters.

o As for Benji, if Hutch comes on then by all mean keep him around to mentor Hutch and slowly transition during 2017, but seems like Dragons Management are pushing hard for a replacement regardless of how the season goes.

Anyway as I mentioned I hope we make the hard calls this year, we have done some funny "scattergun/opportunist" recruiting which is good for depth but there is an opportunity cost which is often overlooked.

bribieboy

Juniors
I saw young Blake Wallace score 3 tries in 10 minutes during the trial in Briz. Although it was against lesser than NRL level he seemed to have a good running and passing game.

Latest posts