What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 Eels V Broncos

^b0ss^

Juniors
Goin to be great i might be going to the game depends on a couple of mates that im looking to go with.

Really busting for this one.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't think our attack will gel as a unit for a few weeks, but to be honest, I am not that concerned. We have some strike players in Semi, Jenko, Normy and Foz that can put on points without needing set moves to do so.

I am more excited about the potential strength of our defence which may just be enough to hold out other teams enough to allow the aforementioned players to get us enough points to win some early games.

It's a lot easier to win games with your defence, because a strong defence helps your attack a lot more than the other way around - good defence tends to mean more and better opportunities for your attack to shine.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
It's a lot easier to win games with your defence, because a strong defence helps your attack a lot more than the other way around - good defence tends to mean more and better opportunities for your attack to shine.

Are you suggesting defence is the best form of attack?

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Conventional wisdom dictates the opposite, ie. attack is the best form of defence, and it applies to league as well. If you starve the opposition of the ball (by completing and scoring or earning repeat sets) then they get tired and throw back very little in the way of their own attack when they finally do get the ball. I'm sure there's a stat somewhere which correlates time in possession with winning margin.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Defence wins games, look at the Broncos their attack was pretty average last year and it got them about 15secs away from a GF win.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Defence wins games, look at the Broncos their attack was pretty average last year and it got them about 15secs away from a GF win.

They were only 18 points away from having the best attack last year

Roosters 591
Cowboys 587
Raiders 577
Broncos 574
Bulldogs 522

Though under Bennett, they seemed the side most likely a lot of the time to "go for the 2 points" from a penalty

Snoochies

First Grade
I stole this from the predicted round 1 list off news.com so there would be changes to the below lineups (feel free to correct it), but on paper, we certainly have a great team compared to the competition favourites.

Michael Gordon, Darius Boyd,
Semi Radradra, Corey Oates,
Michael Jennings, Jordan Kahu,
Brad Takairangi, James Roberts,
Clinton Gutherson, Greg Eden,
Corey Norman, Anthony Milford,
Kieran Foran, Ben Hunt,
Tim Mannah, Adam Blair,
Nathan Peats, Andrew McCullough,
Junior Paulo, Sam Thaiday,
Beau Scott, Alex Glenn,
Manu Ma’u, Matthew Gillett,
Anthony Watmough. Corey Parker.
Interchange: Interchange:
Danny Wicks, Josh McGuire,
David Gower, Jarrod Wallace,
Tepai Moeroa, Joe Ofahengaue,
Isaac De Gois. Kodi Nikorima.

Basil Brush

Juniors
I can only hope we ambush Broncos in rd 1 at Parra, like we did to Manly last year and the warriors in the past.

Actually can anyone tell me when we last lost rd 1 at home?

jk13

First Grade
after the round 1 spanking last year, you'd think the donkeys will be more prepared this year. i'd expect a sell out, I just hope we keep our passion in check and don't go overboard in terms of penalties and judiciary.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Of the blokes who aren't top 13 certainties, Edwards, Moeroa and Wicks would all be top 17 certainties when fit. Guys like Alvaro, Terepo and Gower are probably hoping for injuries. Figuratively speaking.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I can only hope we ambush Broncos in rd 1 at Parra, like we did to Manly last year and the warriors in the past.

Actually can anyone tell me when we last lost rd 1 at home?
2012 against the Broncos, Sandows first game for us we lead 6 nil for a good while but they proved far too good.

hindy111

Post Whore
Terepo will be there.
Why is wicks a certainty? Not like he set the world on fire last year.Id put him level with gower - Terepo - Alvaro at the moment and i reckon BA would to