What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Benji next year

V

Vasilevsky

Is that why you got the 'moderator' tag removed? For telling lies?!?!

I thought you would flip out much worse than that. Good job. Of course you never sent a private message. To answer your question, no. That was a temporary arrangement meant to be a warning to "coast_dragons" not to keep begging for moderators to ban various people.

Back on subject, what is going on with Benji? Is he asking for something in order of 700-800k? Given the facts I mentioned, that is the only thing I can image is why he hasn't been resigned. That much at this stage of his career.... Hmmmm, I like the way he played last year and liked the highlights from the Warriors trail and like the extra media exposure he brings to the club thereby increasing sponsorship value but given his age, I don't thin he is worth that much. I would be thinking more 550-650k.

BennyV

Referee
I thought you would flip out much worse than that. Good job. Of course you never sent a private message. To answer your question, no. That was a temporary arrangement meant to be a warning to "coast_dragons" not to keep begging for moderators to ban various people.

Back on subject, what is going on with Benji? Is he asking for something in order of 700-800k? Given the facts I mentioned, that is the only thing I can image is why he hasn't been resigned. That much at this stage of his career.... Hmmmm, I like the way he played last year and liked the highlights from the Warriors trail and like the extra media exposure he brings to the club thereby increasing sponsorship value but given his age, I don't thin he is worth that much. I would be thinking more 550-650k.

You overestimate me! While your forum status was changed, you obviously werent granted with full moderator powers during that period, but you did well to fool quite a few! There's a funny side I never imagined you'd have in you!

As for Benji - I'd imagine the reason he hasnt been re-signed is due to our ongoing enquiries into a number of other options, specifically Elgey but likely too the murmurs of Valentine Holmes (which may shift Mann to the halves, depending how the first half of the season plays out). I've no doubt that Benji has the option of playing himself into a new contract over the first 6-8 rounds of the season. Fact is that no other NRL clubs are chasing at present and Benji himself is in no rush, why would we hurry to sign him?

Cagey Mac

Bench
Sorry if this was posted earlier but on topic
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/3771953/open-door/?cs=302

DRAGONS coach Paul McGregor has declared it is a priority to retain Benji Marshall next year.

Marshall is off contract at the end of the season and is likely to leave, with the club he won the 2005 premiership with, the Wests Tigers, considering a fairytale return.

The former Kiwi international has been told St George Illawarra will not meet his asking price, but with the Dragons’ season kicking off in Melbourne on Monday night, McGregor is still keen to keep Marshall.

“We want Benji to stay here,” McGregor said at Sydney airport before departing. “There’s no doubt in that, I’ve had a good conversation with Benji.” The Tigers are believed to be weighing up their halves options for next year, with Marshall in the frame to return if Luke Brooks or Mitchell Moses leaves the club.

The Dragons are interested in signing Souths playmaker Luke Keary.

Keary was suspended for round one, with his replacement Cody Walker impressive on debut. Last week Marshall denied the contract situation was weighing on him, saying he has plenty left to give in the NRL against next season.

‘‘All I know is that myself and Mary have regular meetings and he stays honest with me about where they’re at and at the moment they don’t have the money to offer me a contract,” he said.

‘‘At this point in time I’m just sitting back waiting, get through a few rounds of footy and hopefully start off with a bang.

See your ad here
‘‘All I know within myself is that I’ve got a lot to offer any team, whether that’s here or whether it’s not.”

McGregor has denied the Dragons are interested in Storm halfback Cooper Cronk, however, it is believed Keary is viewed as a long-term option. Former Storm player Kurt Mann will make his debut for the Dragons against his former club at AAMI Park on Monday night.

Queensland representative fullback Billy Slater is expected to play for Melbourne, his first game since missing the State of Origin decider when he had shoulder surgery.

BennyV

Referee
Lol at no point in that article did McGregor declare that retaining Benji is a priority!

But yeah, as expected it will be a case of value for money vs other options. For the same pay packet, I'd go Elgey > Marshall > Keary, although Keary isn't as bad an option as some here are making him out to be!

V

Vasilevsky

Lol at no point in that article did McGregor declare that retaining Benji is a priority!

But yeah, as expected it will be a case of value for money vs other options. For the same pay packet, I'd go Elgey > Marshall > Keary, although Keary isn't as bad an option as some here are making him out to be!

I'm close to you on this. I'd go Elgey > Marshall > Widdop > Brooks but if the club signs Keary as anything more than a depth signing, as he is at Souffs, we are in huge trouble.

SBD82

Coach
I'm close to you on this. I'd go Elgey > Marshall > Widdop > Brooks but if the club signs Keary as anything more than a depth signing, as he is at Souffs, we are in huge trouble.

Thought we were talking halfbacks?

Wouldn't trade Widdop for any of the above. But he's not in the equation. Widdop will be our 5/8 next year.

Strangely we agree on something. I don't want the club chasing Keary. Especially at the figures that are being thrown around.

V

Vasilevsky

Anyone know where the $800k figure came from?

Yes, I was just speculating that or something around that is the only reason I can see for Benji not already being resigned. He was good last season, the team was a shambles without him and he also brings other things to the club off the field but it wouldn't be wise to start paying overs to veterans based on their marketing value.

The Nick

Bench
Yes, I was just speculating that or something around that is the only reason I can see for Benji not already being resigned. He was good last season, the team was a shambles without him and he also brings other things to the club off the field but it wouldn't be wise to start paying overs to veterans based on their marketing value.

Sorry, I meant for Keary.

Vas can take credit all he likes. But the credit for the 800k figure is all yours Nick.

Haha right. Is this the only source claiming this figure? I find it hard to fathom, unless better judges see something in him that I don't?

SBD82

Coach
Haha right. Is this the only source claiming this figure? I find it hard to fathom, unless better judges see something in him that I don't?

Only source I've seen. Seems pricey to me too but I'm still getting my head around the value of players under the larger cap.

I've not seen anything that makes me think he's worth chasing. We'll get a good chance to find out in the next few weeks though with Reynolds injured.

BennyV

Referee

Widdop isn't in the equation...as our captain and preferred 5/8, he is a long term lock in regardless.

I also reckon Brooks would shine in a decent set up, wouldn't hate to see him in the Red V.

V

Vasilevsky

Widdop isn't in the equation...as our captain and preferred 5/8, he is a long term lock in regardless.

I also reckon Brooks would shine in a decent set up, wouldn't hate to see him in the Red V.

I think you will find tonight what was obviously the case in the Warriors trial game will be again. That is to say, when Benji and Widdop are on the same side of the ruck, Widdop will be inside Benji. These days there is very little difference between 6 and 7.

BennyV

Referee
I think you will find tonight what was obviously the case in the Warriors trial game will be again. That is to say, when Benji and Widdop are on the same side of the ruck, Widdop will be inside Benji. These days there is very little difference between 6 and 7.

Whether there is a difference between 6 and 7 or not, Widdop is locked in long term. And that happens on the right side. When we run plays to the left, Widdop is outside Benji.

barry

Juniors
There is no difference between the 6 and 7 in our team.

One control the Left the other controls the right.

I think one of the two has to take a more dominant role.

Our centres need to get the ball earlier with room to move in attack.

Cruisin_Dugan

Juniors
If ANY club throws the reported $800,000+ a season at Keary they are insane! he will never be an elite half. He's not even the best half in his own team ... I'd take Cody Walker on $250,000 before going anywhere near Keary for more anywhere near that money even with the salary cap increasing year on end.

even elgey, good player, not worth the same or more money than Benji.

Adam reynolds would be the off contract half i'd be looking at replacing Benji with but if not then re-sign him on a 1 year deal and explore it again next year.

If sharks continue to play Bird at centre then the Bird to Dragons rumour will heat up again and he said last week that if things aren't working out this year then he can explore other options for next year. I thought he had re-signed til the end of 2017 but from what he was saying maybe it's an option in his favour...

giboz71

First Grade
Watching Cronk direct Melb around is exactly what we're missing.

Couple of times when we were hot on attack, our attack stifled. De Belin got left standing flat footed (which led to an error), as did Havili which led to Rein kicking it dead.

That's because our halves didn't take control. They need to be touching the ball most tackles when we are inside the 20.

Clearly, we need a dominant 7, was plain to see again last night.

hazzbeen

Bench
Watching Cronk direct Melb around is exactly what we're missing.

Couple of times when we were hot on attack, our attack stifled. De Belin got left standing flat footed (which led to an error), as did Havili which led to Rein kicking it dead.

That's because our halves didn't take control. They need to be touching the ball most tackles when we are inside the 20.

Clearly, we need a dominant 7, was plain to see again last night.

Couldn't agree more, we haven't had a half back since M Head....

giboz71

First Grade
Couldn't agree more, we haven't had a half back since M Head....

Exactly.

A dominant 7 barks out orders every set, marshalling his troops, telling his forwards what formation and lines to run.

Cronk using his backrowers just wide of the ruck, making ground each set was a prime example of what a true 7 should be doing. Meanwhile, De Belin and Havili in those 2 examples had no clue what was happening and what play was being run.

It's been a problem for 18 months and still hasn't been solved.