What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

round 5 v manly

Rabbits20

Immortal
do you think he just needs to run onto the ball harder???

on the rabbitohs website it says he is 190cm and 98kg, and that he is only turning 20 in july, so he'll probably improve and get a bit bigger..

Maybe he needs to run harder onto the ball. That'd help.

From what I have seen he is just slow. Slower than Tyrrell.

The next 2yrs will be important in his development.

Rabbits20

Immortal
A lock these days is just like a extra prop who can play both sides of the field. Brown is a natural hard hitting prop.

As i said before this would only be for a short period of time until George returns to form and lifts his game because at the moment it isn't happening.

When Sam plays lock he doesn't play as just an extra prop though.

Sam roams around the field more and runs wider as well looking for opportunities and ball playing too. Sam's best position is definitely lock.

Madge doesn't want Sam to play as just a battering ram in the middle as he offers a lot more than that at lock with the ability to roam as I said plus more offloading opportunities, running at opposition halves and ball playing.

George had no pre season due to his hip surgery. I expected him to be struggling too. These last 3 matches he's played he's getting the cobwebs out. George isn't in peak fitness yet either.

But I wouldn't have both George and Tom on the bench as I said. I can't see Madge doing this.

Last edited:

Rsag85

Bench
I agree with Rsag on this one.

Sam is about 116 kgs--prop maybe!!??????????

Brown 107--Tolman 104---McGuire---106---Blair--108 Graham--108----Wallace--108.

It's better for Sths & for Sam's longterm survival in the game to move away from lock---he plays the game in a far too helter skelter approach at lock to avoid injury. We do need him on the field as he spurs on those around him. I think he,& his bros will best serve us as a prop combo!!

IMO,the 3 Burgess boys should be setting the platform as genuine enforcers in the engine--room. Sam is the very best in this regard.

Don't get me wrong Doyen I still believe Sam best position is at lock but for the moment I believe the twins need to start off the bench as George's form hasn't been great and Tom is just getting back from injury himself.

Sam would only need to play prop for the first 20mins of the game until one or both twins come on the field.

Rsag85

Bench
Maybe he needs to run harder onto the ball. That'd help.

From what I have seen he is just slow. Slower than Tyrrell.

The next 2yrs will be important in his development.

I would of thought Brock would of remained in the NYC team this year and have Williams in the first grade squad

Rabbitohs Focus on Brookvale Match

Words & Video: Tom Skolarikis & Guy Bevan
Tue 29th March, 09:56AM

A A  

As the Rabbitohs prepare to announce their team to take on Manly-Warringah this Thursday night, forward Nathan Brown and his teammates are completely focused on the Sea Eagles.
Another of the game’s strong, traditional rivalries, Thursday’s Rabbitohs and Sea Eagles clash represents the 137th time the two teams will meet. The Rabbitohs will be looking to bounce back from last week’s loss to the Bulldogs, while the Sea Eagles have a number of injury concerns coming into Thursday.

“Our focus now is on Manly this Thursday,” said Brown.

“It was disappointing on Friday, but everyone’s over it and is moving on. They (Manly) are a good side, especially at Brookvale so we’ve got to turn up.

“We’re looking forward to Thursday.”

But while the Sea Eagles will likely be looking for replacements for Daly Cherry-Evans, Jamie Buhrer and Steve Matai – all of whom are under an injury cloud – the Rabbitohs may be bolstered by the return of Sam and Thomas Burgess.

Have you jumped on board yet? Join the team in 2016 by becoming a Rabbitohs Member NOW!

Despite the potential boost though, Brown was quick to point out that each and every Rabbitohs forward will be out to do their job come Thursday.

“Sam’s a great player – it’s great to have him back, but we’ve got other people now in our position that have got to do their job,” said Brown.

“He’s feeling good – looking sweet as. He’s saying to the boys that he’s good so we’ll see how he pulls up.

“He’s doing all the weights and physio stuff.”

Brown himself showed positive signs last Friday. Coming in to fill the shoes of Burgess, Brown made his presence felt in the number 13 jersey with a solid performance on both sides of the ball.

Brown made 114 metres with the ball in hand while also making 38 tackles, while also offloading five times.

To watch the full interview, please press play on the video player.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2016/03/29/rabbitohs_focus_on_b.html

Sam Burgess back to play Manly
Posted by AAP+ on 29/03/2016 at 10:04 am
Filled in: NRL News

FREE AFL LIVE STREAMING
Sign-up to Crownbet now and start streaming every AFL game live, for free! + $600 in Bonus Bets when you join via this link!
South Sydney coach Michael Maguire has confirmed Sam Burgess will return from a neck injury for Thursday’s NRL clash against Manly.

Burgess suffered the injury in Souths’ round-three loss to St George Illawarra at the SCG and sat out the heavy Good Friday defeat to Canterbury.

But the dual international will return for the Rabbitohs in the opening match of round five at Brookvale Oval.

“He will be playing,” Maguire said at Rabbitohs training at Redfern Oval on Tuesday.

“He is fine and he is ready to go. He has had a week off, he has had a rest and he is good to go.”

After ducking awkwardly into a three-man Dragons tackle, Burgess was taken off the SCG in a medicab and rushed to nearby St Vincent’s Hospital before being released two days later.

“It was a muscle strain through the back of his neck, which went into spasm and created some dramas throughout the shoulder region,” Maguire said.

“But fortunately for him he is ready to go and we look forward to having him back.”

Maguire said Burgess didn’t need to change his approach to football.

“No at all, just don’t duck your head,” Maguire said.

Souths will also likely welcome back prop Tom Burgess from a foot injury for his first match of 2016.

“Chances are he will play,” Maguire said.

Former Kangaroos centre and now Manly five-eighth Dylan Walker comes up against his old club on Thursday after an acrimonious exit from Redfern.

Maguire declined to comment on what he expected from the 21-year-old.

Walker becomes even more important for Manly, who will be without halfback Daly Cherry-Evans due to an ankle injury.

Sea Eagles utility Jamie Buhrer (hand) is also sidelined but the hosts welcome back Martin Taupau and Brenton Lawrence from suspension after they sat out the round-four win over the Sydney Roosters.

http://www.sportsnews.com.au/nrl/sam-burgess-back-to-play-manly/177274

Rabbits20

Immortal
Sammy Boi:cool:

Who is it, is it Tom or George:lol: take away their numbers and it's hard to tell:lol:

doyen

Bench
Don't get me wrong Doyen I still believe Sam best position is at lock but for the moment I believe the twins need to start off the bench as George's form hasn't been great and Tom is just getting back from injury himself.

Sam would only need to play prop for the first 20mins of the game until one or both twins come on the field.

It's in Sam's best interest to tone down his frenetic approach to the game,IMO!!

He is a giant of a man who is "roaming" around in maniacal style;tossing himself headlong in defence;charging into the opposing defences in beserk,kamikase fashion.

It can't last for Sam in his present fashion----at least in the front row he can very strongly make his point as a traditional,front-on enforcer[especially in defence] & step away from the crazed approach;the here,there & everywhere raging style!! I'm not suggesting Sam evolves into a pussycat;just be sensible.

We need him on the field;not sitting in the stand---this is the most important thing Sam can achieve;stay healthy No.1.

Sam has had two pretty serious injuries for Sths in his last 4 games & I reckon he could come terribly unstuck on his roving missions of destruction---one does not want to destroy oneself in the process.

Madge has said that he wants Sam to continue in his usual frenzied style--I just hope he doesn't live to regret it!!

Last edited:

Ttime

Juniors
Team announced is

1. inglis
2. Auva
3. goodwin
4. hunt
5. gray
6. walker
7. keary
8. george burgess
9. McInness
10. Sam burgess
11. Turner
12. grevsmuhl
13. Nathan Brown

14. Clark
15. Cook
16. Tyrell
17. T Burgess

18. Carter
19. Oldfield

Looks like Carters mistake riddled game got him dropped...

Rsag85

Bench
Sea Eagles
1 Brett Stewart
2 Jorge Taufua
3 Jamie Lyon (c)
4 Steve Matai
5 Tom Trbojevic
6 Dylan Walker
7 Apisai Koroisau
8 Nate Myles
9 Matt Parcell
10 Brenton Lawrence
11 Martin Taupau
12 Feleti Mateo
13 Jake Trbojevic

Interchange
14 Lewis Brown
15 Josh Starling
16 Darcy Lussick
17 Siosaia Vave
18 Blake Leary
21 Luke Burgess

Coach: Trent Barrett
Rabbitohs
1 Greg Inglis (c)
2 Kirisome Auva'a
3 Bryson Goodwin
4 Hymel Hunt
5 Aaron Gray
6 Cody Walker
7 Luke Keary
8 George Burgess
9 Cameron McInnes
10 Sam Burgess
11 Chris Grevsmuhl
12 Kyle Turner
13 Nathan Brown

Interchange
14 Damien Cook
15 Jason Clark
16 David Tyrrell
17 Thomas Burgess
18 Paul Carter
19 Michael Oldfield

Coach: Michael Maguire
Daly Cherry-Evans (syndesmosis) is out with Apisai Koroisau named at halfback. Lewis Brown and Josh Starling are named on the bench due to Steve Matai (neck) and Brenton Lawrence (suspension) returning at centre and prop respectively. Martin Taupau (suspension) also comes into the team for Jamie Buhrer (hand). Luke Burgess and Blake Leary are named as cover. Latest odds at Sportsbet.com.au.Sam and Tom Burgess have been named to return from injury. Dave Tyrrell has been named on the bench alongside Tom, with Sam starting at prop. Kirisome Auva'a will play on the wing and Chris Grevsmuhl the back row with Paul Carter and Michael Oldfield named on an extended bench. Latest odds at Sportsbet.com.au.

Ttime

Juniors
I like seeing Auva'a on the wing. He is playing witha lot to prove so expect some strong runs.

Rabbitohs Focus on Brookvale Match

Words & Video: Tom Skolarikis & Guy Bevan

Tue 29th March, 09:56AM
A A

As the Rabbitohs prepare to announce their team to take on Manly-Warringah this Thursday night, forward Nathan Brown and his teammates are completely focused on the Sea Eagles.

Another of the game’s strong, traditional rivalries, Thursday’s Rabbitohs and Sea Eagles clash represents the 137th time the two teams will meet. The Rabbitohs will be looking to bounce back from last week’s loss to the Bulldogs, while the Sea Eagles have a number of injury concerns coming into Thursday.

“Our focus now is on Manly this Thursday,” said Brown.

“It was disappointing on Friday, but everyone’s over it and is moving on. They (Manly) are a good side, especially at Brookvale so we’ve got to turn up.

“We’re looking forward to Thursday.”

But while the Sea Eagles will likely be looking for replacements for Daly Cherry-Evans, Jamie Buhrer and Steve Matai – all of whom are under an injury cloud – the Rabbitohs may be bolstered by the return of Sam and Thomas Burgess.

Have you jumped on board yet? Join the team in 2016 by becoming a Rabbitohs Member NOW!

Despite the potential boost though, Brown was quick to point out that each and every Rabbitohs forward will be out to do their job come Thursday.

“Sam’s a great player – it’s great to have him back, but we’ve got other people now in our position that have got to do their job,” said Brown.

“He’s feeling good – looking sweet as. He’s saying to the boys that he’s good so we’ll see how he pulls up.

“He’s doing all the weights and physio stuff.”

Brown himself showed positive signs last Friday. Coming in to fill the shoes of Burgess, Brown made his presence felt in the number 13 jersey with a solid performance on both sides of the ball.

Brown made 114 metres with the ball in hand while also making 38 tackles, while also offloading five times.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2016/03/29/rabbitohs_focus_on_b.html
To watch the full interview, please press play on the video player.

Match Day Information: Rd 5, 2016

Tue 29th March, 09:02AM
A A

Round5-matchday_notext
Sea Eagles v Rabbitohs
Thursday 31 March 2016
Brookvale Oval
Game Times:
5:30PM – Gates Open
5.45pm – NYC Kick Off
8.00pm – Manly Warringah Sea Eagles v South Sydney Rabbitohs Kick Off
The South Sydney Rabbitohs head to Brookvale Oval for their first Thursday game of the year to take on the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles.

Be there as #historyhappens and show your passion and pride for the Red and Green as they take to the field.
TICKETING INFORMATION

Save time by purchasing your tickets online!

Online: Click here
RABBITOHS MERCHANDISE VAN

Check out all the latest Rabbitohs gear to prepare you for the 2016 NRL Season by visiting the Rabbitohs Merchandise Van. Located at the Pine Avenue Entrance at Brookvale Oval.

TRAVELLING TO BROOKVALE OVAL

Brookvale Oval is located on the corner of Pittwater Road and Alfred Road.

It is located approximately five minutes walking distance from North of Warringah Mall and about three minutes walking distance from the Manly Leagues Club

For public transport timetable information please contact the Transport Info line on 131 500 or visit http://www.131500.com.au.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2016/03/29/match_day_informatio.html

souths_pride

Juniors
Grevs had to come in.
I agree! Personally, I thought it was really harsh that Paul Carter was dropped. He was really good in the opening three rounds and just had a bad day at the office on Friday. I'd definitely love to see him play over Kyle Turner, who I think offers us nothing. Also, I think the only reason that David Tyrell is still in the team is because we are short on front rowers but I think we could make do with 3 in the match day 17, given that Sam is capable of playing big minutes.

I agree! Personally, I thought it was really harsh that Paul Carter was dropped. He was really good in the opening three rounds and just had a bad day at the office on Friday. I'd definitely love to see him play over Kyle Turner, who I think offers us nothing. Also, I think the only reason that David Tyrell is still in the team is because we are short on front rowers but I think we could make do with 3 in the match day 17, given that Sam is capable of playing big minutes.

I think Kyle need a 2 - 3 week stint back at the Bears.

rabbitohs95

Bench
I still don't understand why Tyrell is in the side.

Pretty much because he needs that first grade fitness to get back into things. Did you hear about his off season surgery? Needs more time to get back into things and is a safer option than blooding a rookie that isn't ready.

Rsag85

Bench
Pretty much because he needs that first grade fitness to get back into things. Did you hear about his off season surgery? Needs more time to get back into things and is a safer option than blooding a rookie that isn't ready.

One run for any forward isn't good enough.... Seems to me Madge has his favourites in the side and Tyrell must be one of them.