What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team Round 5

Cagey Mac

Bench
1. Josh Dugan
2. Peter Mata’utia
3. Euan Aitken
4. Tim Lafai
5.Jason Nightingale
6. Gareth Widdop (C)
7. Benji Marshall
8. Leeson Ah Mau
9. Mitch Rein
10. Russell Packer
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Joel Thompson
13. Jack de Belin
14. Mike Cooper
15. Will Matthews
16. Siliva Havili
17. Jake Marketo
18. Josh McCrone

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Didn't expect to see changes for team list Tuesday.

We'll have to wait until Thursday at the earliest to see any hint of change.

More interestingly, is the Cutters squad. Young Carr named as 18th man. Gives me the impression that one of either Carr, Milne or KFFL is on stand-by for 1st grade.

BennyV

Referee
Didn't expect to see changes for team list Tuesday.

We'll have to wait until Thursday at the earliest to see any hint of change.

More interestingly, is the Cutters squad. Young Carr named as 18th man. Gives me the impression that one of either Carr, Milne or KFFL is on stand-by for 1st grade.

If so, I'd place bets on it being KFFL. Not from a talent POV, but the fact that he has first grade experience and that seems to be the be-all and end-all for our coaching staff...

kit66

Bench
Marketo....really ?
Defence will win us a few games sure but to beat the Cowboys, Brisbane and others we'll need points on the board. This defence rules the world attitude ( thank you Young Snr and Jnr I reckon ) is, quite literally, having a siege mentality. Bennett ,Green and others will find the cracks and exploit the weaknesses in our defence - compressed defensive line / vulnerability to second phase play / injury to key players ( Aitken goes off - panthers exploit that and score ) / fatigue. We will have key players out injured this year and for all the talk of depth I worry that our reliance on defence alone will, like last year, be our downfall once again.
I hope the promise of more work on our attack hasn't been completely forgotten and replaced with this win at all costs attitude.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Marketo....really ?
Defence will win us a few games sure but to beat the Cowboys, Brisbane and others we'll need points on the board. This defence rules the world attitude ( thank you Young Snr and Jnr I reckon ) is, quite literally, having a siege mentality. Bennett ,Green and others will find the cracks and exploit the weaknesses in our defence - compressed defensive line / vulnerability to second phase play / injury to key players ( Aitken goes off - panthers exploit that and score ) / fatigue. We will have key players out injured this year and for all the talk of depth I worry that our reliance on defence alone will, like last year, be our downfall once again.
I hope the promise of more work on our attack hasn't been completely forgotten and replaced with this win at all costs attitude.

If we keep winning, I'm not fussed on how ugly it looks.
Happy to take a two point win for 2 competition points every day of the week.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
It's not just about defending, but more so controlling the game, making the opposition work it out from their own end. Playing smart, not giving away piggy back penalties. Have you noticed the last 2 weeks how many penalties have been awarded in our favour? This is due to us dominsting the ruck and frustrating other teams.

I'd rather us play tight then try to throw the ball around stupidly, make mistakes and put ourselves under pressure.

GC Dragon

Juniors
I totally agree benny v ....Everytime i hear Mary talk he bangs on about "experience " or " he covers several positions " . No doubt they will take a squad to QLD but i would have thought that if Aitken is out it would have been a perfect chance to play Milne . And instead of Marketo give a kid like Jacob Host a run .

getsmarty

Immortal
Marshall Named To Face Cowboys

Tue 29th March, 05:00PM A A

St George Illawarra Dragons halfback Benji Marshall has been named to face the North Queensland Cowboys at 1300SMILES Stadium, Townsville on Saturday.
Marshall, 31, has missed the previous two fixtures due to a minor hamstring strain but is part of a travelling 18-man squad named Head Coach Paul McGregor for the fixture.

Dragons utility Josh McCrone, who had previously been playing in the pivot position, has been named in a five-man interchange which includes props Mike Cooper and Jake Marketo, hooker Siliva Havili and second-rower Will Matthews.

Furthermore, second-rower Joel Thompson is available to play after taking an Early Plea after being charged with a Grade 2 “High Tackle - Careless” by the NRL Match Review Committee on Monday.
1. Josh Dugan
2. Peter Mata’utia
3. Euan Aitken
4. Tim Lafai
5.Jason Nightingale
6. Gareth Widdop (C)
7. Benji MarshaLL
8. Leeson Ah Mau
9. Mitch Rein
10. Russell Packer
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Joel Thompson
13. Jack de Belin
14. Mike Cooper
15. Will Matthews
16. Siliva Havili
17. Jake Marketo
18. Josh McCrone
Unavailable: Ben Creagh (Knee - TBC); Dylan Farrell (Back - TBC); Yaw Kiti Glymin (Hamstring - Round 6); Kurt Mann (Knee - Round 6); Mose Masoe (Knee - Season)

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/03/29/marshall_named_to_fa.html

Minh

First Grade
I think I'm definately in a minority here but I'm excited to see Marketo in the team, I think he's improved a lot ever since last year under Mc Gregor, he's a tough and smart little player, glad he has a chance now.

kit66

Bench
If we keep winning, I'm not fussed on how ugly it looks.
Happy to take a two point win for 2 competition points every day of the week.

Yeah, I wasn't really talking about aesthetics or suggesting we "throw the ball around stupidly".

In 2010 we had a squad that could not only sustain a solid defensive wall week after week but had the fire power to capitalize on that and to take advantage of our opponents frustration and errors. We also had a great kicking game and reasonably good discipline giving us excellent field position for most of that year.
This year, like last year we've won games off the back of good defensive efforts but we've also shown how easily that can all come crashing down. We simply aren't going improve much on 2015 without changes to our attack ( or personnel ). I'm not saying we need to start playing like Parra or the Dogs circa 1980 but we need to play a more balanced game and not rely so heavily on one or two aspects of the game e.g. Defence and discipline.
I'm drifting into rant territory here but I think there's people at the club who can't get their heads out of 2010 / the forward pack / their arses and have too much influence on coaching and team selection. Mary doesn't have a free hand I'm sure of it. Buts that a separate debate I guess.

Bottom line, we need to play a more balanced game and possibly upgrade or experiment with at least two positions in the backline and also rethink our bench selections.

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
Imo dunamis lui should be there ahead of marketo. Sure marketo is tough & can defend but that is not going to beat the cowboys or broncs.Mary has really disappointed me with his selections,players playing out of position,use of interchange & not gambling on youth/potential.

Latest posts