What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beau Scott appreciation thread

Chipmunk

Coach
That run down of Tomy Trioukjnvaiyvgibv just shows that stats dont mean everything, it was a brilliant effort that wont show up at NRL Stats.

I reckon he could replace Hoppa on the wing for NSW.

I don't think Beau Scott has got the pace to play on the wing at Origin level.

yy_cheng

Coach
I know semi made trbojevic stumble a little but scott was going like a freight train when he arrived ... AND he dislodged the ball!!

The other thing i find amazing about scott is his effectiveness in nearly all tackles. He not only gets to his man and puts him down, instantly after first contact hes nearly always worked the guy into a bad position so he can dominate the tackle every time. Its quite uncanny. He's effective +1.

Exactly and hardly gets penalized for it.

I hope he teaches our youngsters these tricks.

He is actually quite good at the wrestle.

Watmough can do this too. So imagine having them both on the field to slow down the ruck.

yy_cheng

Coach
I was thinking yesterday about the fact he used to play centre (he wore jersey 4 in his first two Origin games), and how his awareness and one-on-one defence made him a good defender despite being the slowest centre in the game. Then he did that to Trbojevic last night. He mightn't be explosive but his top speed isn't bad.

Well maybe if our centre goes down or Jenko makes it to SOO but Scott doesnt

we have

1 Gordon
2. Semi
3. Taka

4. Scott
5. Gutho

13. Teps
12. Mau
11. KE

14. IDG
15. Wicks
16. Peni
17. Gower

I think he'll do the job easily. Much better than Vai. I watched the Magpies Vs Mounties and Vai was not impressive

Utey

Coach
I know semi made trbojevic stumble a little but scott was going like a freight train when he arrived ... AND he dislodged the ball!!

The other thing i find amazing about scott is his effectiveness in nearly all tackles. He not only gets to his man and puts him down, instantly after first contact hes nearly always worked the guy into a bad position so he can dominate the tackle every time. Its quite uncanny. He's effective +1.

And he disguises quite well. First contact is strong and not often does the ensuing play the ball go quickly.

jono

Juniors
Hopefully he will keep JT in check next week. That will go a long way towards causing an upset win over the Cows

emjaycee

Coach
Hopefully he will keep JT in check next week. That will go a long way towards causing an upset win over the Cows

Why is us beating the Cowboys an upset?
Apart from the fact that it is Townsville we have already beaten them this year and have played tougher teams than them for the same number of wins.

Kornstar

Coach
Why is us beating the Cowboys an upset?
Apart from the fact that it is Townsville we have already beaten them this year and have played tougher teams than them for the same number of wins.

Because we play shit in Townsville and they are averaging like 40 points at home this year.

It certainly is quite the challenge imo.

jono

Juniors
The betting odds tell us it would be an upset. Although $3.25 on a straight up win for us is VERY good value, which I think I will get something on.
I'm actually confident of a win next week despite the Cows awesome home record this year...gotta end some time

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Townsville is a fortress for them, tough place for visiting teams to get a result.

yy_cheng

Coach
Beau Scott shows little remorse for injury that may end Anthony Watmough's career

Michael Chammas April 18 2016 - 8:30PM
Michael Chammas
Follow
Friendly fire is likely to force Anthony Watmough to hang up the boots but Beau Scott made no apologies for his "train hard, play hard" attitude that led to his teammate's potential career-ending knee injury.

It was a challenge from Scott during a training drill gone wrong in the pre-season that is likely to end the former Manly back-rower's career, but Watmough holds no grudges against the new Eels enforcer despite an apparent lack of remorse.

Play
0:00
/
0:00
Fullscreen
Mute
Foran leads Eels to late win over Sea Eagles
Kieran Foran makes a triumphant return to Brookvale Oval after helping steer Parramatta to a come-from-behind 22-10 victory against arch-rivals Manly.
"Beau Scott is Beau Scott, I don't think he has got emotion," Watmough told Fairfax Media. "It was just a freak injury. It was nothing we thought would be this long term. I joked around with Beauy and said 'this is your fault'. He just shrugged his shoulders and walked away."

The incident occurred when most of Parramatta's NRL squad was in New Zealand for the Auckland Nines, while the remaining players were going through a routine training session when Watmough was floored by a challenge from the NSW enforcer.

Hurt by friendly fire: Anthony Watmough and Tim Mannah at a Parramatta Eels NRL pre-season training session.
Hurt by friendly fire: Anthony Watmough and Tim Mannah at a Parramatta Eels NRL pre-season training session. Photo: Getty Images
At the time, Watmough was preparing to play in the following weekend's trial against Penrith, but the collision from behind from Scott while he was trying to shadow a ball across the dead-ball line appears to have cruelled him of the chance to play again. But Scott, renowned for his relentless intensity both at training and on game day, made no apologies for his commitment to the drill.

"It's all just part of it. You have to compete no matter what you're doing, on or off the field," Scott said. "That's all it was. I'm not sure what his outcome is going to be just yet but we'd rather see him on the field every week because we know the sort of player he is. But injuries are part of the game - it's as simple as that. You play hard, train hard, it's as simple as that."

Advertisement

Insurance paperwork has been filed that could allow Watmough to retire and still receive payment for the final three years of his contract, but Watmough says he hasn't given up hope of a miraculous recovery. ​While he struggled to walk when he eventually got back to his feet after the Scott collision, even he admits he didn't expect the injury suffered at training to be as serious as it was.

"We were chasing a ball down and I hyper-extended my knee, then bone started chipping away," Watmough said. "It was just a freak accident. It was when the boys were playing the Nines. I was pretty sure I was going to be right the next week to play the trial against Penrith. We were playing a game trying to get repeat sets if you put it in goals. I was just trying to shepherd it out and he had to pull up and pushed into me and my knee got caught under me. He just pushed me in the back and as he has pushed me I've stuck my leg out and its gone straight and done some damage to my knee. I don't know how to explain it. I couldn't walk or run after that. It's been a long time between drinks trying to get out on the field."

Tough attitude: Parramatta back-rower Beau Scott only knows one way to play.
Tough attitude: Parramatta back-rower Beau Scott only knows one way to play. Photo: Getty Images
Club captain Tim Mannah, who was at the training session, shed light on Scott's intensity at training. The injured prop, who is due back against the Bulldogs in round nine, said Scott trained with the same attitude he takes on the field.

"Beauy, he's a 100 miles an hour," Mannah said. "He's got no second gear. He's either zero or 100. No one realised the seriousness of the injury [to Watmough] at the time. He limped off and we just kept training as we were. It wasn't until he got the scans did we realise how serious it was but at the time we didn't realise."

http://beta.smh.com.au/rugby-league...anthony-watmoughs-career-20160418-go98mo.html

Gazzamatta

Coach
Looks like this is the story being sold to the insurer to allow TPD for a "new injury". Using the media for some good it appears.

yy_cheng

Coach
Parra pack happy to follow Scott's lead

Thu 28 Apr, 2016, 7:00am
Pam Whaley, Big League
EMAIL PRINT
Parra pack happy to follow Scott's lead
Beau Scott has become a leader in his first season at the Eels. Copyright: Big League.
He's a 31-year-old journeyman at his fourth NRL club but young Eels forwards say Beau Scott is the inspiration behind their hard-nosed approach that has transformed them into one of the most resolute defences in the Telstra Premiership.

Heading into Round 9 only the ladder-leading Broncos have conceded fewer points than the Eels who were ranked 13th in the same category last season and the tenaciousness of Scott and captain Kieran Foran are the examples others are following.

Lured away from Newcastle a year before his contract was due to expire, Scott was seen by Parramatta coach Brad Arthur as the cornerstone of the harder edge he needed to instil into the side and players such as Kenny Edwards have jumped on board.

"You can't say enough about Beau Scott and what he's added to our pack and our defence," Edwards says in the Round 9 issue of Big League.

"He brings experience that we can all buy into. He's won a premiership, he's played in good sides, under Wayne Bennett, Origins and for Australia.

"Whenever he speaks blokes like me and Manu [Ma'u] just lap it up. When he's running blokes down and making hits, we try and jump on the back of that."

Written off by many critics at the start of the season as not having the forward firepower necessary to be a premiership force in a pack already full of toilers and ball-players, Arthur recognised the need for an enforcer – someone who could execute with precision and inspire his young and impressionable team-mates to do the same.

Narrowly ahead of fellow intimidators Tepai Moeroa and Ma'u for the most number of tackles for the team this season, Scott does more than inspire big hits – he rounds out the dynamic of the pack, adding defensive steel.

"Me and Manu, we're the opposite of players (like Scott)," adds Edwards.

"We're offensive players and he's more of a defensive player, so the dynamic that we've got in the team is good.

"We were rated 14th or 15th for our forward pack, so we talked about that in the off-season. We don’t have anything to prove, we just want to show each other that we're capable of beating those big packs."

The Round 9 issue of Big League is on sale now from newsagents and at the ground. Digital version also available via www.zinio.com.

http://www.nrl.com/parra-pack-happy-to-follow-scotts-lead/tabid/10874/newsid/95337/default.aspx

jono

Juniors
"lured away" ? I thought his child needed constant attention at Westmead and that was a primary reason for him coming to the western suburbs.
Still , I'm more than grateful that he's here.....amazing effect on the likes of Tepai, Manu, Junior, Kenny and the polar bear