What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gus is a utter knob of a commentator

TheFrog

Coach
I look at it as $12 a week, cos that's all it is. Much less than a coffee a day.

A coffee a day costs me $22 for three months. That's about $1.50 a week. Good quality coffee, made at home. Some people have too much money it seems.

I've considered Foxtel at $12 a week just to watch footy, but can't justify it.

As for Phil, if you watch him talk as boss of Penrith, it's like he's a different person. He talks just like any other manager. I suspect what you hear on Nein is all a performance. Someone for Rabs (or whoever the main caller is) to argue with, and to present his opinionated views, that's his role on the call. He's doing exactly what his employer wants him to do. If he wasn't popular they'd have gotten rid of him long ago.

grouch

First Grade
Don't get the hate for Braith and Gasnier at all. I think they're both very good at what they do. They make Lockyer sound like a dribbling moron

TheFrog

Coach
So basically dump most of the 9 commentary team, excluding Sterling and Sampson.

Sterling's analysis is quite good, has been for many years, but he's infuriating when Parramatta play. He used to make the effort to avoid being biased, but maybe senility is creeping in these days. He shouldn't be calling Parramatta games in my humble opinion.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Don't get the hate for Braith and Gasnier at all. I think they're both very good at what they do. They make Lockyer sound like a dribbling moron

I think Anasta's good as a commentator. Gasnier's a bit dull and gets things wrong half the time, but Id still prefer him than the guys at 9.

BennyV

Referee
So basically dump most of the 9 commentary team, excluding Sterling and Sampson.

Clone Yvonne Sampson 5 times and Channel 9s viewing of the footy becomes 100 times better to watch and listen to.

Sidebar: Clone Yvonne Sampson a million times, the world becomes a muchbrightee, happier place!

franklin2323

Immortal
A coffee a day costs me $22 for three months. That's about $1.50 a week. Good quality coffee, made at home. Some people have too much money it seems.

As for Phil, if you watch him talk as boss of Penrith, it's like he's a different person. He talks just like any other manager. I suspect what you hear on Nein is all a performance. Someone for Rabs (or whoever the main caller is) to argue with, and to present his opinionated views, that's his role on the call. He's doing exactly what his employer wants him to do. If he wasn't popular they'd have gotten rid of him long ago.

Get the NRL app by Telstra $3 a week much better just to watch games on

TheFrog

Coach
Get the NRL app by Telstra $3 a week much better just to watch games on

I had this a couple of seasons back, at $2 a week. It hurt my aging eyes watching it at tiny resolution on the iPad. If it would work at decent resolution on the Topfield PVR with Android, I'd consider it, but not sure if it does.

Mig2006

Juniors
I was in the unfortunate position of having to watch channel 9 games for a week when I went on holiday. I couldn't wait to get back and watch the next round on Fox. Needless to say, I'll plan my next holiday around Fox reception and I don't plan on listening to the grumpy old man routine and the blatant reality tv promotion anytime soon...

franklin2323

Immortal
I had this a couple of seasons back, at $2 a week. It hurt my aging eyes watching it at tiny resolution on the iPad. If it would work at decent resolution on the Topfield PVR with Android, I'd consider it, but not sure if it does.

I plug my tablet into my PVR in the USB slot. Then play it on the TV

Valheru

Coach
Gus's problem is that he talks too much garbage with rabs. When he does concentrate on proper colour commentary he offers quite good analysis IMO. It is clear he understands the game and I find most of his analysis to be accurate and educational.

Rabs should just retire as it is clear he is senile. Every week he makes bizarre comments and/or predictions that just have nothing to do with the situation he is commenting on.

betcats

Referee
Gus's problem is that he talks too much garbage with rabs. When he does concentrate on proper colour commentary he offers quite good analysis IMO. It is clear he understands the game and I find most of his analysis to be accurate and educational.

Rabs should just retire as it is clear he is senile. Every week he makes bizarre comments and/or predictions that just have nothing to do with the situation he is commenting on.

This.

He waffles on waaay to much to much, him and Rabs make me want to swallow a shotgun but when he is seriously talking about footy there aren't many who are better to listen too.

some11

Referee
Maybe he's nearing the end of his contract with Nine and doesn't give a shit.

I'd love to have him on Fox just talking footy.

bazza

Immortal
Yes - rabs is like my dad when he gets on a boring rant. Keeps talking for a few minutes after everyone else has stopped talking and gradually fades off when he gets no response

Blade23

Juniors

Neither can I. I love my sport but paying for Foxtel's other channels are a rip off.
The crap that has been on the basic package lately has been repulsive.
I will be cutting it off very soon.

langpark

First Grade
I can appreciate Gould's passion, but I resent the fact that he targets refs and nitpicks their decisions. This in turn leads to them being the spineless lot that they are, as they've become terrified of the criticism.

BuffaloRules

Coach
The biggest thing I hate about Goulds commentary ( and there are a few things on the list) is that every game he clearly favours one side ( I assume the one he has backed as the same club can vary/ fall out of favour one week to the next)...

Packy

Bench
Gaz is good IMO. I was off him at the start but he talks actual strategy and tactics with a footy mind.

thorson1987

Coach
The biggest thing I hate about Goulds commentary ( and there are a few things on the list) is that every game he clearly favours one side ( I assume the one he has backed as the same club can vary/ fall out of favour one week to the next)...

Brandy Alexander is the exact same in that regard.