What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New South Wales 2016

junior fan

Juniors
I really don't get the media hype around peats. He reminds me of josh Jackson in that he gets a heap of credit for doing very little.

NSW hooker depth is very poor, probably worse then the halves IMO. Any way we can get Josh Hodgson in a blue jersey?

Josh Jackson and Bryce Cartwright are 2 of the worst defenders in the NRL. Neither should be in the Origin team this year, Cartwright is one for the future, at least he is an excellent attacker.

TheFrog

Coach
Josh Jackson and Bryce Cartwright are 2 of the worst defenders in the NRL. Neither should be in the Origin team this year, Cartwright is one for the future, at least he is an excellent attacker.

I don't think Bryce is quite that bad, but he can be caught out, and his ball security isn't top of the line yet either. I would expect he'll be overlooked for another year at this stage.

junior fan

Juniors
I don't think Bryce is quite that bad, but he can be caught out, and his ball security isn't top of the line yet either. I would expect he'll be overlooked for another year at this stage.

The big league had both Bryce and Josh equal 5th missed tackles after 5 rounds behind Maloney, hunt, Robson and Moses. not a great stat for either especially considering the likes of Thurston weren't listed in the top 8.

ranga

Juniors
A lot of Bryces misses are from kick chase The rest are from shooting out which is the coaches instructions for him

junior fan

Juniors
A lot of Bryces misses are from kick chase The rest are from shooting out which is the coaches instructions for him

Really? This is what the coach has told him? Hard to believe that all his missed tackles can be accounted from those two facets. I have seen him miss a number of tackles that weren't from either of these scenarios.

Seems Bryce himself is aware of his issues in defence with this quote recently
"My defence, too, is something I’m trying to *improve. At times it’s been pretty average and against Parramatta I made some bad misses, too."

As I said he will play origin he is a very good attacking player but one of the worst defenders at this point. Just give him a few more years.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Tedesco is playing injured, I wouldn't pick him. At full fitness absolutely but I'd hate for his origin career to start off on the wrong foot

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Tonight's the reason Soward is my 5/8. With A. Reynolds at halfback. They might not have the creativity of Cronk et al, but I think we could certainly kick the shit out of Queensland with those two.

big hit!

Bench
Its very hard to split players once you get to a certain level. That said he plays in the easiest position in the spine. Id look to a halfback or hooker before id worry about fullback if i was drafting an nrl side.,look at the cowboys and the broncos., (even if they both have good fullbacks)

He is like josh hodgson imo. In the top 10-15 players in the nrl but not really established yet. Guys like Thurston have won premiership, state of origin games and really eatablished as the best.,tedesco has scored a few tries this year

Nail on the head.

This is the problem with 95% of the couch potatoes who pick their origin team. Get excited about someone who's put in 5 or 6 good games, and crown him the f**kin messiah.

How many f**kin players have NSW selectors picked under the same lgic and then had to turf after they stunk it up because they weren't ready or were played incorrectly or couldn't assert themselves in the game because of the same old culture boys in the team.

And with Tedesco, the player he'd be replacing is Dugan......basically in a position that is the least of NSW worries. I'd be getting rid of the poisonous quartet of Gal, Farah, Scott and Bird - and retain the dependability and experience of Dugan in his most suitable position. His body of work is still better than Tedesco's. If the latter gets through this year as a star and Dugan regresses, then Tedesco has claims then. Not right now.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Nail on the head.

This is the problem with 95% of the couch potatoes who pick their origin team. Get excited about someone who's put in 5 or 6 good games, and crown him the f**kin messiah.

How many f**kin players have NSW selectors picked under the same lgic and then had to turf after they stunk it up because they weren't ready or were played incorrectly or couldn't assert themselves in the game because of the same old culture boys in the team.

And with Tedesco, the player he'd be replacing is Dugan......basically in a position that is the least of NSW worries. I'd be getting rid of the poisonous quartet of Gal, Farah, Scott and Bird - and retain the dependability and experience of Dugan in his most suitable position. His body of work is still better than Tedesco's. If the latter gets through this year as a star and Dugan regresses, then Tedesco has claims then. Not right now.

You say that nsw pick players before they're ready, but then say their biggest problem is continuing to pick the guys who haven't got the job done...

Which is it?

Hutty1986

Immortal
The entire squad needs to be freshened up. After 2014 all the talk was of creating a "winning culture".. the team then proceeded to throw away Game I. Then after finally playing some decent attacking footy in Game 2, the team produces the most disgusting, gutless effort in Origin history in Game 3 on Qld's dungheap.

We need young guns to replace the old warhorses that have been so burnt by NSW continually gifting SOO series to Qld.

And let's be real here, unless the Blues win Game 1 this year we're toast anyway.

The Blues ready for the 2016 origin series:

phpsQGEi6PM.jpg

8082997-A-picture-of-a-female-hand-putting-a-piece-of-toast-to-a-toaster-over-black-background-Stock-Photo.jpg

phpsQGEi6PM.jpg

Jason Maher

Immortal
Time to piss in the wind yet again.

1. Josh Dugan
2. James Tedesco
3. Michael Jennings
4. Josh Morris
5. James Roberts
6. Blake Austin
7. Adam Reynolds
8. James Tamou
9. Robbie Farah
10. Aaron Woods
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Wade Graham
13. Paul Gallen (c)

14. Matthew Moylan
15. Andrew Fifita
16. David Klemmer
17. Bryce Cartwright

Don't give a shit that Tedesco and Roberts don't play on the wing normally. Yes, it's a defensive risk, but the speed and power they offer in attack more than compensates. Trying to contain Queensland's firepower has never really worked anyway. Dugan is the incumbent fullback and is in the form of his career. He will and should keep the #1 jersey.

Uninjured and in form, Austin and Reynolds are our best halves, and their games will complement each other well. Problem is they've both been injured (and Austin still is) and thus don't have the form. Maloney and Sezer definitely deserve consideration. Josh Reynolds definitely does not. Honestly Moylan is our best creative player and clearly has the potential to be a great half, but has yet to play an NRL game anywhere other than fullback, so a bench spot is his best immediate option for mine.

We've carried duds and old farts for too long now in our pack. Scott in particular needs to go. I'd argue Hoffman's time is up as well. I wouldn't protest too loudly if Bird is picked again as he is still good, but for mine, Graham and Frizell must get a gig. If it means one of them on the bench to accommodate Bird, so be it. They are both monsters who run hard and hit harder. Gallen has one final dig left in him, if Daley can just get him doing the hard work that he does so well and not trying to ball play. Tamou and Woods are a good, settled front row combo, while Fifita and Klemmer offer real impact off the bench. I've personally gone with blooding Cartwright over sticking with Bird. Offers a ball playing option. I'm just hoping the selectors see the light and realise that Cornder, Jackson, and Merrin are inferior players to the ones I've named, and none have done anything much at Origin level to merit keeping their jersey.

Wobbie wins the hooking position by default. Perhaps Ennis' top shelf club form since the start of last year might finally translate into Origin form, but I'm not sure I'm prepared to risk it.

Last edited:

Jason Maher

Immortal
I posted this in Pops thread. Here is a list of all the NSW eligible hookers (and part time hookers and a couple of Laurie Daley specials) I was able to dig up, for your viewing displeasure:

Robbie Farah
Michael Ennis
Nathan Peats
Isaac de Gois
Mitch Rein
Cameron McInnes
Damien Cook
Paul Carter
Peter Wallace
Tyrone Peachey
Michael Lichaa
Craig Garvey
Tyler Randell
Daniel Mortimer
Rory Kostjasyn
Jamie Buhrer
Ryan Hinchcliffe (yes, I know he's overseas)
Josh Jackson
Josh Reynolds

Clifferd

Coach
Really like that team you put up, mixes of youth/experience but wouldn't it make sense to swap Teddy and Dugan? They both share the same qualities with speed and evasiveness, but Tedescos ball playing ability to deliver quality ball to outside backs would do it for me.

Dugan comes across as a bit of a hog and while he's good at what he does , it probably won't work that well against QLD

Just my 2 cents, Tedesco on the wing would limit his ability imo where Dugans hard runs from dummy half would more than make up for it