What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett

League_God

Juniors
Hey guys,

I'm curious to hear the thoughts of other knights supporters on this guy.

Are there hard feelings? Where do you rate him as a coach?

Still Nutty

Juniors
Personally I also think he is a hypocrite who presents a holier than thou persona but only ever deals out of self interest. He pretends to be a man of principles but his time at the Knights showed that while he sought commitment from the players, club and community, when it was his turn to stick the course, he bailed.

He might be a capable coach with good cattle but he is not an honourable person as far as I'm concerned so my word is also hypocrite

Last edited:

Hauff

Juniors
Haha, you blokes are kidding no one. Take a look at that 2013 roster. The super coach getting that mob to the preliminary final was a miracle that has only served to enhance his legend.

Darius Boyd
Kevin Naiqama
Joseph Leilua
Dane Gagai
Akuila Uate
Jarrod Mullen
Tyrone Roberts
David Fa'alogo
Danny Buderus
Willie Mason
Robbie Rochow
Beau Scott
Jeremy Smith

Interchange
Matt Hilder
Chris Houston
Neville Costigan
Alex McKinnon

Last edited:

Still Nutty

Juniors
Back under your bridge Champ ...knowing what I know now he was one of the worst things to happen to this club...the only 2,bright lights are that he took Boyd with him and we now have a coach that has genuine buy in to see this club establish a solid foundation for the future - something Bennett could never deliver

macavity

Referee
Haha, you blokes are kidding no one. Take a look at that 2013 roster. The super coach getting that mob to the preliminary final was a miracle that has only served to enhance his legend.

Darius Boyd
Kevin Naiqama
Joseph Leilua
Dane Gagai
Akuila Uate
Jarrod Mullen
Tyrone Roberts
David Fa'alogo
Danny Buderus
Willie Mason
Robbie Rochow
Beau Scott
Jeremy Smith

Interchange
Matt Hilder
Chris Houston
Neville Costigan
Alex McKinnon

Happily have them back...

Darius Boyd
Kevin Naiqama
Joseph Leilua
Dane Gagai
Akuila Uate
Jarrod Mullen
Tyrone Roberts
David Fa'alogo
Danny Buderus
Willie Mason
Robbie Rochow
Beau Scott
Jeremy Smith

Interchange
Matt Hilder
Chris Houston
Neville Costigan
Alex McKinnon

And the two times he missed the finals with the same squad?

Last edited:

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
The fact that he left the club in a worse state when he left than when he walked in is the unforgivable part imo. He was supposed to conduct a club rebuild but instead he left it in tatters and walked straight into that Broncos team which Griffin had rebuilt over several years and now he's getting all the credit when they're going well. I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve any credit for how the Broncos are doing but they were already almost a rep quality team before he got there but everyone's forgotten that most of the key pieces were already in place before he got there.

perverse

Referee
I'm not as sour as most, but he definitely got up and walked out with his job only half done. Where I differ from most around here is that I can't blame him for doing it - I wouldn't work for 1/3rd of my worth, either... and I certainly wouldn't do it in a job I hated, away from the people I care about.

One can speculate until the cows come home about where we'd be if he stayed another couple of years. I think he realised the job was too big to get done in the timeframe he wanted to give, and so rather than half-arse it or continuing to do the job, knowing he wouldn't finish it, he walked away when he had the chance. I can relate to it, and I don't hold it against him.

I really hope he writes a book about his time in Newcastle, I think it will be quite revealing.

Last edited:

Zoidberg

First Grade
He was looking for a short term premiership here, not a long term fix, which is what we needed.
Remember the whole "dads army" thing in 2013 (Bennett's best year with us). Had we some how won that year, we would've been straight back to where we are now because most of those players were close to past their used by date.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
I'm not as sour as most, but he definitely got up and walked out with his job only half done. Where I differ from most around here is that I can't blame him for doing it - I wouldn't work for 1/3rd of my worth, either... and I certainly wouldn't do it in a job I hated, away from the people I care about.

One can speculate until the cows come home about where we'd be if he stayed another couple of years. I think he realised the job was too big to get done in the timeframe he wanted to give, and so rather than half-arse it or continuing to do the job, knowing he wouldn't finish it, he walked away when he had the chance. I can relate to it, and I don't hold it against him.

I really hope he writes a book about his time in Newcastle, I think it will be quite revealing.

Im in the same boat

While initially disappointed given the hype around Tinkler buying us out and Bennett being appointed coach and all that was promised to come with it, i cant blame the bloke for cutting his losses and going home. Honestly, its what most of us would have done if similar circumstances occured in our working lives

He was looking for a short term premiership here, not a long term fix, which is what we needed.
Remember the whole "dads army" thing in 2013 (Bennett's best year with us). Had we some how won that year, we would've been straight back to where we are now because most of those players were close to past their used by date.

I dont agree he was looking for a short term premiership at all. The bloke has like 7 under his belt already. He saw that the club had talent already but lacked leadership and motivation and bringing in guys like Scott, Smith and Bedsy was the best way forward. Im not convinced he was given free reign like he was promised over retention of certain players and was backed into a corner which its pretty clear Bennett wont cop

Over all Im sympathetic to the bloke but I also dont really like some of his attitudes either (blocking Milf from playing for Samoa being a glaring example of his arrogance) so its a mixed bag as far as im concerned. Its easy to blame him for all the woes of the club during his tenure here but there were other factors at play, not least of which the terrible culture of our clubs management

Noname36

First Grade
I dont agree he was looking for a short term premiership at all. The bloke has like 7 under his belt already. He saw that the club had talent already but lacked leadership and motivation and bringing in guys like Scott, Smith and Bedsy was the best way forward. Im not convinced he was given free reign like he was promised over retention of certain players and was backed into a corner which its pretty clear Bennett wont cop

Over all Im sympathetic to the bloke but I also dont really like some of his attitudes either (blocking Milf from playing for Samoa being a glaring example of his arrogance) so its a mixed bag as far as im concerned. Its easy to blame him for all the woes of the club during his tenure here but there were other factors at play, not least of which the terrible culture of our clubs management

Bennett definitely had a free reign to do whatever he pleased here. He said so himself quite a few times. Who was he accountable to? Midley lol? Tinkler had his own stuff to deal with and was never present. He gave Bennett the cheque book to do whatever he pleased and Bennett himself admitted that's the way he liked it.

He overturned more than 3/4 of the roster.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I have a terrible opinion of Wango, but thats not even from what he did here....

I read his biography about his experience setting up the Broncos and found his self-delusion staggering. He genuinely believed his 20 years at the club was an "against-the-odds" underdog story (despite having the pick of the QLD Cup and being by far the wealthiest team around).

I think he honestly believed he could walk into a place and it would just become successful. His time here began to crush that fantasy so he got out with the first excuse....