What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We are struggling to adapt

rabbitohs95

Bench
Now while most people will blame certain players for our poor performances, I think the blame lies on more of the coaching than those wearing the jerseys. Sure, the fact that there's not much heart needs to be accounted for, but here's something i've thought of.

Since winning the 2014 premiership, we haven't adapted to the new rules at all.

1. The faster ruck

The ruck speed has been raised tremendously since the days where we were able to dictate the speed of the game with our wrestling tactics. Now we really struggle with the speed with guys like Tyrrell, the twins and Grevsmuhl lying in the ruck in defense. This puts us on the backfoot and as such teams are able to carve us up the middle. Happened a lot last night and has happened a lot in the past. We really need to work on it.

2. Linespeed

Our linespeed this year besides round 1 has been deplorable. Some players are jogging up to the line, and some even regress backwards afraid to tackle. Again last night was a great example of how shit we can be in defense. There's no heart, no determination and no will from most of the blokes out there. I dream of the days of the 2014 finals linespeed, up in their face and dragging blokes back 10 metres.

3. The makeup of our team

By this I mean moreso the look of our different positions. Good teams like the Broncos have big wingers, creative halves and big but mobile forwards. Us on the otherhand, have slow ageing/out of position backs, one half who has next to no talent, another who is programmed to the coach's plays, a bunch of big but laterally challenged forwards and tiny backrowers who get picked on. Really needs to change if we are to compete in this competition. We also have money tied to 2 players which means we have a very thin squad, and as such plodders like Tyrrell and Clark are picked because there's no one else.

4. The reduced interchange

Considering what our forwards offer, this is absolutely killing us. Our forwards are unfit and lazy and as such in the middle period of games they're getting tired, letting in more linebreaks/missing more tackles and generally are out of it. I thought with the fitness that Maguire likes to instill we'd be one of the more dangerous teams but it seems like we've regressed. I'll give a benefit of the doubt though considering we have so many players dealing with injuries.

These are all massive problems that we're struggling with at the moment and we need something to change fast, however with a small squad and plenty of injuries already, I can't see it happening this year. Normally i'm very positive but last night just showed me how much shit we are in. Not having fun this year guys :(

Rabbits20

Immortal
R95 very good post, this is the best we can field against Parra imo with us dropping Keary, Auva'a, Nielsen, Tyrrell and leaving Clark out:

1. GI
2. AJ
3. Gray
4. Goodwin
5. Oldfield
6. Cody
7. Reynolds
8. T. Burgess
9. Cook
10. Brown
11. Carter
12. Turner
13. S. Burgess

14. McInnes
15. Grevsmuhl
16. G. Burgess
17. Whitelaw

18. Gosiewski
19. Nielsen

Last edited:

Dogmatix

Juniors
Souths have a rubbish squad because they don't bother with recruitment. Now after the team has copped lots of beatings over the last 12 months the confidence and enthusiasm is dropping. The team's performances are dropping as a result

When the last recruitment guy Mark Hughes left Souths did not even bother to replace him properly. Instead after waiting a few months and having no one doing recruitment they simply appointed the U20s coach Grant Jones as the recruitment guy. I bet Grant Jones knew a lot more about coaching U20s than he did about recruitment. Souths needed to appoint the best recruiter they could. Instead they cut corners

Recruiting a good coach and a strong playing squad is No 1 for any club but Souths have neglected this badly over the last few years

southsport

First Grade
I think the rot started this year after the manly game where Madge covered up the dressing room cameras at half time and is rumoured to have ripped in to the players.

Pommy

Coach
I think the rot started this year after the manly game where Madge covered up the dressing room cameras at half time and is rumoured to have ripped in to the players.

No way, this rot was present last season. Another game or two and we woudnt have made the 8.

Rabbits20

Immortal
You keep praising Madge for giving them the stick. Yet it's not working, perhaps it's the stick that's the problem?

Well at half time in the Cows and last nights matches Madge didn't give them stick at half time. He was calm with them when ch 9 went into the dressing rooms.

The stick isn't the problem.

The problem is they are taking the Souths Jersey for granted and are on a high pedestal with their salary. We need to drop players and they have lots to work on at training.

We are underdone this season as Madge has eased back the workload and the players haven't responded. They wanted a lighter load and they are deteriorating.

It really pisses me off how the players today kind of get their way in sacking coaches. Players need to be held more responsible. Player power is too high these days.

Give me a job where I can help move the boss on!!!!!;-);-)

It's just a fair dinkum joke.

doyen

Bench
Well at half time in the Cows and last nights matches Madge didn't give them stick at half time. He was calm with them when ch 9 went into the dressing rooms.

The stick isn't the problem.

The problem is they are taking the Souths Jersey for granted and are on a high pedestal with their salary. We need to drop players and they have lots to work on at training.

We are underdone this season as Madge has eased back the workload and the players haven't responded. They wanted a lighter load and they are deteriorating.

It really pisses me off how the players today kind of get their way in sacking coaches. Players need to be held more responsible. Player power is too high these days.

Give me a job where I can help move the boss on!!!!!;-);-)

It's just a fair dinkum joke.

When it comes to the crunch the players are the boss--depends on how unpopular the coach has become!!

GI would make a good coach. At least he has a positive & creative approach to playing the game.

Rabbits20

Immortal
When it comes to the crunch the players are the boss--depends on how unpopular the coach has become!!

GI would make a good coach. At least he has a positive & creative approach to playing the game.

I stand by my views in my post.

Players should not be the boss as I've said. It stinks.

GI struggles with communicating on field sometimes and standing up as a leader.

alien

Referee
Recruiting a good coach and a strong playing squad is No 1 for any club but Souths have neglected this badly over the last few years

Souths recruited a good coach that won a premiership. There has been some good signings, but probably not enough. I had a feeling at the start of this season that we didn't have enough big forwards in the squad. We have been pretty unlucky with injuries though.

Last edited:

alien

Referee

I don't blame Madge for doing that. I think he needs to do it before the game too! I don't think some of today's players wouldn't have handled being a rugby league player decades ago. Watch this video and see how fired up some players were before the games. The coach SHOULD fire up the players. Watch starting from 12:40 into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EuU0Fw8h9A

lol, face slapping before the game at 22:44 in the video

Last edited:

alien

Referee

No they're not. The players need to do their jobs, otherwise it's "bye bye" to them.

Last edited:

southsport

First Grade
No way, this rot was present last season. Another game or two and we woudnt have made the 8.

Agree with you on last year, but what I meant was that this year they were travelling OK until after the manly game.

southsport

First Grade
I stand by my views in my post.

Players should not be the boss as I've said. It stinks.

GI struggles with communicating on field sometimes and standing up as a leader.

A coach and management need to be people managers, our club and owner seem to be failing in this area..........Nick Politis is a people manager, he gets his staff and players on-side not off-side, hence the success of his club.

Last edited:

doyen

Bench
No they're not. The players need to do their jobs, otherwise it's "bye bye" to them.

It's called a revolution!!

Depends on how many of the plebs are unhappy & how the business is performing.

People power has achieved bad results for coaches plenty of times around footy clubs!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
I don't blame Madge for doing that. I think he needs to do it before the game too! I don't think some of today's players wouldn't have handled being a rugby league player decades ago. Watch this video and see how fired up some players were before the games. The coach SHOULD fire up the players. Watch starting from 12:40 into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EuU0Fw8h9A

lol, face slapping before the game at 22:44 in the video
Agree.

Agree.

DiegoNT

First Grade
You can tell by reading these posts who has never been a boss and had people working under them before

Latest posts