What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Mary be sacked?

Should Mary be saked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steve timpson

Juniors
To those who voted no - included Minh and Fingerang - why?!?!

I mean, he's been in the drivers seat for nearly 2 years, and in the passenger seat for a while before that and backseat (Cutters) for 2 years before that. What do you expect to see that isn't already obvious?

If you look at wins vs losses, he is average, at best. That includes Cutters. Is this the guy you want leading our club?
If you look deeper at his horrible, horrible records - the aforementioned longest losing streak and worst opening to a season, among others - it gets a lot worse for him.
Then there's the qualitative measures. His attitude towards loses, his benchmark of winning 50% by mid season, the excuses, the stubbornness, the simple fact that for a guy who claims to be a 'straight shooter' he hasn't once come out and said that our losses or our attack simply aren't good enough.

So what is it? Why does he deserve to not get sacked? What is it that you see in him that makes you think he is the actual guy to rebuild the club that's been rebuilding for 4 years?

Genuine question.

Benny V, you are 100% correct, as you say, quantitative and qualitative results, his score card, his attitude, lack of ownership and accountability, his excuses, etc., all show he is not the right man for the job.

I guess some Dragon fans are more acceptable of mediocre results, maybe they were born after 1979... and have not been part of our famous history for longer.

Many Dragon fans have only seen 1 flag since 1979 .....and they see mid table as OK
(Wow, not me thank goodness)

I agree, Mary has to go, he has had 2 years .....and still we cant get the damn 'oval bladder' over the line.

And he was our attacking coach before that....so he has had 4 years to get us to score, LOL.

You have hit the nail very clearly on the head.

Borrowing old Gough Whitlam's phrase, 'ITS TIME'!!

Steve timpson

Juniors
Well good luck sacking him, Steve....hope it goes smoothly for you.

Ha, definitely would need luck, yes!

I don't write things and state I can make them happen, does anyone?

I am pretty sure we write things we believe in, or want to openly canvass and discuss.

'Positive Disturbance' can lead to changes... if enough people get behind it.

When / If our crowds drop to 6,000-8,000, memberships dry up... it will start a flame, along with our positive disturbance!

BennyV

Referee
Benny V, you are 100% correct, as you say, quantitative and qualitative results, his score card, his attitude, lack of ownership and accountability, his excuses, etc., all show he is not the right man for the job.

I guess some Dragon fans are more acceptable of mediocre results, maybe they were born after 1979... and have not been part of our famous history for longer.

Many Dragon fans have only seen 1 flag since 1979 .....and they see mid table as OK
(Wow, not me thank goodness)

I agree, Mary has to go, he has had 2 years .....and still we cant get the damn 'oval bladder' over the line.

And he was our attacking coach before that....so he has had 4 years to get us to score, LOL.

You have hit the nail very clearly on the head.

Borrowing old Gough Whitlam's phrase, 'ITS TIME'!!

I was born in 88. Youth isnt a reason to accept the crap we are seeing.

Minh

First Grade
Sorry to upset you possm....but I never extended any deadline for Mary. That is Doustie's job.

Exactly, I respect possm he is passionate, but it's not our call it's the club management and very unlikely to happen.

Steve timpson

Juniors
Exactly, I respect possm he is passionate, but it's not our call it's the club management and very unlikely to happen.

Minh, we can still agitate for it, with no fans ....there is no football.

The football team is only there because of the fans, not in spite of.

No fans, no football team.

We have a right to be heard ....AND considered.

Fingerbang

Bench
I don't write things and state I can make them happen, does anyone?
Well, you and BennyV seem to think because Minh and I said he will see out this season, that it is our fault if he does and the club gets deeper in the mire.

Oh, and if you check the vote results, BennyV....you will not see my name amongst the no votes. I actually wanted another option....no, unless a well credentialled replacement is signed.

Minh

First Grade

I mean, he's been in the drivers seat for nearly 2 years, and in the passenger seat for a while before that and backseat (Cutters) for 2 years before that. What do you expect to see that isn't already obvious?

If you look at wins vs losses, he is average, at best. That includes Cutters. Is this the guy you want leading our club?
If you look deeper at his horrible, horrible records - the aforementioned longest losing streak and worst opening to a season, among others - it gets a lot worse for him.
Then there's the qualitative measures. His attitude towards loses, his benchmark of winning 50% by mid season, the excuses, the stubbornness, the simple fact that for a guy who claims to be a 'straight shooter' he hasn't once come out and said that our losses or our attack simply aren't good enough.

So what is it? Why does he deserve to not get sacked? What is it that you see in him that makes you think he is the actual guy to rebuild the club that's been rebuilding for 4 years?

Genuine question.

Fingerbang didn't endorse Mary, I did. The thing is people should not jump to conclusions too quickly, a lot of stuff I said was a little tongue in cheek being positive to counter the negative. After 8 rounds when we were 4 and 4, amazing result- no, very good- no, acceptable- yes because we played four top 4 teams at their home ground. Take a closer look and there were worrying signs, we got nowhere near beating the top 4 teams, except for Melbourne.

Last week was really bad though no need to explain again. The thing is as much as we as fans think that we can make a change of coach or whatever, we have slim to non chance of that happening in a short time. I support the team first and foremost and there is no way in the world that I would hope for a loss or losses in hope of change. Clearly Mary is not setting the world on fire but if you are a serious balanced person you have to admit that making the finals last year was a commendable achievement not many predicted we could get there, myself included.

Credit where it's due, if you're going to criticise the bad be prepared to acknowledge the good, a real man can do this, the problem here is there are posters on here who if you go by what they say, have never made an error of judgement in their life. It's always I told you so. It's easy to say I told you so because only one team wins the title each year and every year there are only 3 or 4 standout teams, Ï told you so" they say like as though it was prophecy, deadset idiots who whinge and whine every week and go AWOL when the team wins.

Anyway for the record, if Mary was sacked today and replaced by a Bennett, Hasler or a Tony Smith I would be very happy, slim to none chance. For the time being I hope Mary wins because we win and it makes my weekends that little bit better. Go Dragons!!!

Minh

First Grade
Minh, we can still agitate for it, with no fans ....there is no football.

The football team is only there because of the fans, not in spite of.

No fans, no football team.

We have a right to be heard ....AND considered.

Of course the fans can, 100%.

Minh

First Grade

Genuine question.

Fingerbang didn't endorse Mary, I did. The thing is people should not jump to conclusions too quickly, a lot of stuff I said was a little tongue in cheek being positive to counter the negative. After 8 rounds when we were 4 and 4, amazing result- no, very good- no, acceptable- yes because we played four top 4 teams at their home ground. Take a closer look and there were worrying signs, we got nowhere near beating the top 4 teams, except for Melbourne.

Last week was really bad though no need to explain again. The thing is as much as we as fans think that we can make a change of coach or whatever, we have slim to non chance of that happening in a short time. I support the team first and foremost and there is no way in the world that I would hope for a loss or losses in hope of change. Clearly Mary is not setting the world on fire but if you are a serious balanced person you have to admit that making the finals last year was a commendable achievement not many predicted we could get there, myself included.

Credit where it's due, if you're going to criticise the bad be prepared to acknowledge the good, a real man can do this, the problem here is there are posters on here who if you go by what they say, have never made an error of judgement in their life. It's always I told you so. It's easy to say I told you so because only one team wins the title each year and every year there are only 3 or 4 standout teams, Ï told you so" they say like as though it was prophecy, deadset idiots who whinge and whine every week and go AWOL when the team wins.

Anyway for the record, if Mary was sacked today and replaced by a Bennett, Hasler or a Tony Smith I would be very happy, slim to none chance. For the time being I hope Mary wins because we win and it makes my weekends that little bit better. Go Dragons!!!

Steve timpson

Juniors
The way i see it as a staunch "Mary must go" advocate is that we were a loooong way from going OK a week ago.

Storm 18 (currently sitting 3rd) Dragons 16 - Acceptable performance
Sharks 30 (4th) - Dragons 2 - Pathetic
Rabbits 6 (12th) - Dragons 8 - Very average and very lucky
Panthers 12 (8th) - Dragons 14 - Uninspiring
Cowboys 36 (1st) - Dragons 0 - Pathetic
Broncos 26 (2nd) - Dragons 0 - Pathetic
Titans 14 (13th) - Dragons 19 - Very average
Roosters 18 (15th) - Dragons 20 - Very average and very lucky

The highest placed team we beat is in 8th and by 2 points. The lowest placed team we beat is in 15th and by 2 points and both games were a bees penis from another 2 losses. Other than round 1, the 3 other teams we have played in the top 4 all lapped us.

Going "OK" should at least see us being competitive against top 8 sides and being convincing against bottom 8 sides, we are neither. You can dress a goat in a tuxedo if you like....but it's still a goat.

I respect your opinion, but 1 acceptable game from 9, is not OK to me.

And very well said 09!

Steve timpson

Juniors
I was born in 88. Youth isnt a reason to accept the crap we are seeing.

100% agree, I guess some fans are not passionate.

I talk to some who say things like 'Oh well, maybe next year', or 'You cant win them all'

Sad.....not too passionate, accept mediocrity

Too many fans like this will help create a losing culture, that's why fans like you have to keep agitating for change!

Minh

First Grade
100% agree, I guess some fans are not passionate.

I talk to some who say things like 'Oh well, maybe next year', or 'You cant win them all'

Sad.....not too passionate, accept mediocrity

Too many fans like this will help create a losing culture, that's why fans like you have to keep agitating for change!

Don't agree with this at all, not jumping and screaming for change does not mean not passionate, not everyone has to agree with wanting a sacking. Get your facts right ok.

Minh

First Grade
Everyone has a right to support the team the way they like, don't impose your views it's not necessary to talk like that. I have respected your posts but that crosses the line saying people are not passionate....

Steve timpson

Juniors
Everyone has a right to support the team the way they like, don't impose your views it's not necessary to talk like that. I have respected your posts but that crosses the line saying people are not passionate....

Sorry Minh, I was referring only to the people I personally know and talk to, who say comments to me like... Ohh well maybe next year, and mostly laugh it off if we go poorly for a few years.

I have read many of your posts ...and FB's....you guys are clearly passionate.

My apologies for coming across like I did.

Minh

First Grade
Sorry Minh, I was referring only to the people I personally know and talk to, who say comments to me like... Ohh well maybe next year, and mostly laugh it off if we go poorly for a few years.

I have read many of your posts ...and FB's....you guys are clearly passionate.

My apologies for coming across like I did.

Ok no problem Steve, my apologies too.

BennyV

Referee
Well, you and BennyV seem to think because Minh and I said he will see out this season, that it is our fault if he does and the club gets deeper in the mire.

Oh, and if you check the vote results, BennyV....you will not see my name amongst the no votes. I actually wanted another option....no, unless a well credentialled replacement is signed.

Fair enough, I saw your post and thought you were in the Mary camp. Apologies.

I wasn't disappointed at all with our position last year, but it wasn't an overachievement. It was a pass mark, despite the fact that I wasn't sure we'd make it. ANything less would have been a failure. And I was genuinely hopeful of this year, we'd made some decent moves with bringing Demetriou to the club, some good signings and had a good platform from last year to move from. Whether or not that's acknowledging the 'good' is up to debate because in reality, if scraping into the 8 and bowing out honourably is now considered good then we've fallen very, very far.

BUT, we haven't gone up at all. IN fact, we've gone down. There's nothing happening on the field that tells me that Mary has learnt a thing from his first year in charge, he is becoming more an more like Steve Price every week with his excuses, his attitude towards the game plan and the low bar he seems to be setting for the club.

Minh

First Grade
Fair enough, I saw your post and thought you were in the Mary camp. Apologies.

I wasn't disappointed at all with our position last year, but it wasn't an overachievement. It was a pass mark, despite the fact that I wasn't sure we'd make it. ANything less would have been a failure. And I was genuinely hopeful of this year, we'd made some decent moves with bringing Demetriou to the club, some good signings and had a good platform from last year to move from. Whether or not that's acknowledging the 'good' is up to debate because in reality, if scraping into the 8 and bowing out honourably is now considered good then we've fallen very, very far.

BUT, we haven't gone up at all. IN fact, we've gone down. There's nothing happening on the field that tells me that Mary has learnt a thing from his first year in charge, he is becoming more an more like Steve Price every week with his excuses, his attitude towards the game plan and the low bar he seems to be setting for the club.

Fair enough BennyV, very good points.

Latest posts