What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question Re: Coaches.

Steve timpson

Juniors
T,

No, it doesn't, I agree. I wasn't aiming to present a position in support of sticking with Mary; I am ambivalent to keeping or discarding Mary. However, neither does the original argument justify why Mary should be sacked, particularly as it isn't accurate.

Also, I think it is too early to suggest St George Illawarra have 'declined' under Mary until this season finishes, and I think the 'Powers that Be' will take the same view.

Interestingly, in Hasler's first year in charge of Manly (2004), the team finished 13th out of 15 teams, before the sequence of position rises you note: 2005 - 8th; 2006 - 5th etc, etc ...

St George Illawarra have shifted from 14th (2013) to 11th (2014) to 8th (2015). Using this as one end of season analysis, it is not a decline, regardless of whether we all wish for far better.

There is a bigger picture, as below

9 points per game average in first 9 games this year. Hmmmm....

1.75 tries... or thereabouts per game

Boring, tedious, terrible.

Offloads way down.

Almost no line breaks.

Beaten 30-2, 36-0 and 26-0

Still putting Dugan at FB....Is Mary a slow learner or what?!

Boring, embarrassing, unwatchable football team.

Crowd numbers?

Will be in dive ....with no damage control possible.

Its not just whether we 8th, 7th or 10th, which is a poor benchmark anyway, third year we should be in top 4.

It's the style of football we are playing.

It cures insomnia ...its so bad.

Lex

Juniors
It's not just the results (and anyone satisfied with those needs help).

It's plainly clear for everyone to see that Mary is a dopey c#nt. He can't be head coach, end of story.

Now for the equally challenged bleeding hearts to disagree...

Straight Shooter

Objective View,

Actually it is not 'clear' simply because you attempt to present your perspective (a subjective analysis) as an imperative.

Ironic, given your nom de plume.

Lex

Juniors
There is a bigger picture, as below

9 points per game average in first 9 games this year. Hmmmm....

1.75 tries... or thereabouts per game

Boring, tedious, terrible.

Offloads way down.

Almost no line breaks.

Beaten 30-2, 36-0 and 26-0

Still putting Dugan at FB....Is Mary a slow learner or what?!

Boring, embarrassing, unwatchable football team.

Crowd numbers?

Will be in dive ....with no damage control possible.

Its not just whether we 8th, 7th or 10th, which is a poor benchmark anyway, third year we should be in top 4.

It's the style of football we are playing.

It cures insomnia ...its so bad.

Then stop supporting them. No one makes you.

blacksafake

First Grade
It's unlikely we're going to get Hasler or Bellamy and when you look at how the likes of Maguire and Robinson have gone this year I'm not convinced they're the super-coaches they're made out to be.

Garth Brennan however is an excellent suggestion, he could very well be the next Paul Green. He's a former cop so no doubt he has some strong thoughts on discipline, former NYC coach of the year at Newcastle, won a comp with the Panthers NSW cup team (2014), and as mentioned is currently assistant coach with their NRL side. Obviously has a strong history working with young players at Penrith (and also previously coached the NSW U18s) and is highly thought of by the likes of Gould.

And he's from outside the club. He certainly ticks a lot of the boxes to be given a chance.

He does have a good reputation in the lower grades, however it would take foresight from Doust to appoint him, don't forget he is an outsider. Gould does rate him but why was he not given the panthers job? The other assistant who has been around for a while who Warren Ryan amongst others said will be a good coach is David Fairleagh.

Nothing material will happen to Mary until the end of season.

There are 4 clubs that are head and shoulders above the rest at the moment.

Then maybe 2 at the bottom, with the rest scrambling for the remaining spots in the 8.

Hopefully someone in admin will tap Mary on the shoulder and tell him he better make changes before it's too late for both our club this season, and for him to retain his job.

Old Timer

Coach
Just watched Peter Sterling's show and in particular his interview Cooper Cronk.

This led me to 3 conclusions

1. Coaching is not for everyone and as good a player as Sterling was and as astute a commentator he is for some reason he avoided the mine filed of coaching.

You listen to him talk and he is light years in front of Mary in all aspects.

I wonder if he would have made it as a coach?

2. In the interview with Cronk it became obvious that Cronk would not be a good fit for our club.

He never said ah or uh.

He never mentioned "D" once.

He talked about fast tracking peoples skill levels in particular Munster.

He used words with more than 4 letters and could make a sentence.

Our coaching staff wouldn't understand a word of what he said to them.

3. Peter sterling is a genuinely good bloke and should be used by the NRL to give advice how to improve things like the bunker, players taking dives, interpretation of the obstruction rule.

Fingerbang

Bench
Just on the coaches front....one guy who I always thought would make it as a 1st grade coach, is Jim Dymock. He looked good in his short caretaker role at the Dogs a few years ago, and I think still assistant there now...is he not?

Not suggesting him for us, being the rookie replacing another rookie etc.....just thought he may have moved on somewhere else for a better opportunity to get a head coach spot.

Steve timpson

Juniors
Just on the coaches front....one guy who I always thought would make it as a 1st grade coach, is Jim Dymock. He looked good in his short caretaker role at the Dogs a few years ago, and I think still assistant there now...is he not?

Not suggesting him for us, being the rookie replacing another rookie etc.....just thought he may have moved on somewhere else for a better opportunity to get a head coach spot.

Dymock was sacked

Have you even looked at his coaching record man?

Worse than the Chinless one

Worse coach than widdop is as a player.....that's saying a lot

grouch

First Grade

The Jim Dymock coaching story is a great example of the differences between the Bulldogs and our club.

He was the assistant to Kevin Moore, and when Moore was sacked in 2011 Dymock took over. He got some great results - they won 5 from 8 to finish the season, moving up the ladder from 12th to 9th. A favourite Bulldog son, former premiership winner, with a promising start as coach. But Canterbury didn't give him the job - instead they head-hunted Hasler and have made 2 grand finals since.

McGregor took over from Price in 2014, won 7 from 14, taking the team from 11th to 11th. The Dragons sign him to a 4 year extension.