What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate Gareth Widdop

Dragonscales

Juniors
Being Objective here.

Non-existent running game.

Long kicking game below first grade standard half

Below first grad standard ball playing ability for a half.

Effective short kicking game but often takes the wrong choice when doing so.

Slow.

giboz71

First Grade
Widdop really confuses me.

On one hand when you see his silky smooth skills, he looks like being one of the best halves in the game. But he really hasn't delivered at all this year, like a top line half and captain should. Don't know if its coaching, the players around him, the captaincy?

His kicking game has got progressively worse as the season has gone on. And that midfield bomb with 5 to go was simply diabolical.

He's our 5/8 and captain. He needs to own the result and be our JT.

I hope he gets his act together soon.

getsmarty

Immortal
Correct me if I'm wrong..didn't we win last night? Yes it was ugly and we got the rub of the green...Enjoy the win people.

Mr Red

First Grade
Widdop offers nothing.

He has to go.

We need a champion on his money and in his position!

End of story

Mediocrity rules

You are well within your rights to think Widdop is no good. To be brutally honest i agree this season he has been below par.
But honestly your ongoing rants have become quite boring. We get it, you dont like Widdop - fair enough.
But time to move on.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Widdop really confuses me.

On one hand when you see his silky smooth skills, he looks like being one of the best halves in the game. But he really hasn't delivered at all this year, like a top line half and captain should. Don't know if its coaching, the players around him, the captaincy?

His kicking game has got progressively worse as the season has gone on. And that midfield bomb with 5 to go was simply diabolical.

He's our 5/8 and captain. He needs to own the result and be our JT.

I hope he gets his act together soon.

This...................the captaincy seems to be a burden he doesn't know how to handle and does not sit well with him.

The quandary is (a) Do you keep him in this role and hope he develops and grows in to it?...or (b) Take it off him (which may effect him negatively even more), with the hope he returns to some form?

The best option would be for him to step down from the captaincy role, of his own accord, If he feels it is severely affecting his game (which it appears to be at the moment).
The only other choice would be to appoint another captain, eg the Cowboys (JT and Scott)and share the responsibility, which may take some burden off him, this system seems to work well at the Cowboys.

giboz71

First Grade
I actually thought the captaincy would be the thing to get him to the next level. He played second fiddle to Cronk in Melb, then Marshall came on board unexpectedly.

Thought Mary did the right thing by making him captain, he was effectively being handed the keys to the team with the thought he would grow into the role. Just hasn't happened.

Drove me nuts during the Roosters game when McCrone, a reserve half was doing all the kicking in the last 10 to get us home, while Widdop was just watching. And last night, to say he took some wrong options in the last 10 is being kind.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I'm a massive Widdop fan

But he has been awful this season. His obsession with the grubber is bizarre. Lost all confidence.

But I'll remind his death riders of the class he showed in our biggest game of last season.

Steve timpson

Juniors
I'm a massive Widdop fan

But he has been awful this season. His obsession with the grubber is bizarre. Lost all confidence.

But I'll remind his death riders of the class he showed in our biggest gahme of last season.

Big deal.....see...mediocre expectations

Losers

Dream bigger fools!!!

He lost us the game when he put a shit kick on 5th and it went 30 metres.....dogs got it back in good territory and they scored.....with 1 minute to go.

Them in extra time....he frigging couldn't kick the one lousy point we needed.

He lost that game for us.

yeahhh, he took some hits for the first time all year for the team.....big deal....

We lost......he lost it ....with pathetic kicks

Dogs were smashed the next week

They were no bench mark.... fools!!

Mediocrity......

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Widdop I think would pair up nicely with Pearce at the Roosters. He's a running half and I think that compliments Pearce like Maloney use to. I'd rate him slightly under Maloney, I'd rate him in the top 5 current stand offs. I see him as a 6.

Red V for life

Juniors
This...................the captaincy seems to be a burden he doesn't know how to handle and does not sit well with him.

The quandary is (a) Do you keep him in this role and hope he develops and grows in to it?...or (b) Take it off him (which may effect him negatively even more), with the hope he returns to some form?

The best option would be for him to step down from the captaincy role, of his own accord, If he feels it is severely affecting his game (which it appears to be at the moment).
The only other choice would be to appoint another captain, eg the Cowboys (JT and Scott)and share the responsibility, which may take some burden off him, this system seems to work well at the Cowboys.

If we went the co-captain route, there is only one other candidate for mine...Dugan. How it would work in practical terms, I don't know as both Duges and Widdop play 80 mins.

Widdop's kicking game is all rocks and no diamonds this year, but he is not alone. Benji, Rein and McCrone haven't set the world on fire with their kicking games this season. What I do like is since the Qld road trip, his running game is coming back...and he looks good when he tucks it under his arm and takes the line on.

Can I just say, having read the forum for a couple of years before taking the plunge, I've never really liked the crap some players get or the Benji v Widdop style threads.

Yes, I would like us to play better, but there are 25 blokes in the squad who have done something I never will, and that's play in the big Red V (although all may not be lost on that front if Mundine makes a successful return...never too old and all). Respect and support the players and the team.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If we went the co-captain route, there is only one other candidate for mine...Dugan. How it would work in practical terms, I don't know as both Duges and Widdop play 80 mins.

Widdop's kicking game is all rocks and no diamonds this year, but he is not alone. Benji, Rein and McCrone haven't set the world on fire with their kicking games this season. What I do like is since the Qld road trip, his running game is coming back...and he looks good when he tucks it under his arm and takes the line on.

Can I just say, having read the forum for a couple of years before taking the plunge, I've never really liked the crap some players get or the Benji v Widdop style threads.

Yes, I would like us to play better, but there are 25 blokes in the squad who have done something I never will, and that's play in the big Red V (although all may not be lost on that front if Mundine makes a successful return...never too old and all). Respect and support the players and the team.

I was thinking more like Nightingale as co-captain. He is very experienced and has captained the Dragons a few times last year. His level headedness and knowledge would suit Widdop more than Dugan at this point in time. Dugan's time will come in 2018 when Nighty retires, I don't feel he's ready for that responsibility yet, there's more to being a leader than inspiration, to which Dugan possess infinitely, but could he make a snap decision, at a crucial time in a game? At this stage I wouldn't think so, but he could learn a great deal off Nightingale and Widdop, before he would be given the keys.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Big deal.....see...mediocre expectations

Losers

Dream bigger fools!!!

He lost us the game when he put a shit kick on 5th and it went 30 metres.....dogs got it back in good territory and they scored.....with 1 minute to go.

Them in extra time....he frigging couldn't kick the one lousy point we needed.

He lost that game for us.

yeahhh, he took some hits for the first time all year for the team.....big deal....

We lost......he lost it ....with pathetic kicks

Dogs were smashed the next week

They were no bench mark.... fools!!

Mediocrity......

:lol:

Nutter

Steve timpson

Juniors
And that's being kind.

You guys must be the first mediocre loving mafia in history.

Did you spawn Widdop?

Face up to the facts.

He is usless!!

And that's being kind keyboarders

With supporters like you accepting 8th to 16th position is happy days, can you all go support sharks or titans!

10 points avge per game

I am ashamed to think dragons have supporters lke you accepting 10 points a game is dinky di ok

Wow!!!

Last edited:
There is a simple solution. Support your Souths team instead Steve. No one would lose an ounce of sleep if you leave.

Another novel idea. Follow AFL. You clearly know nothing at all about Rugby League