What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madge's future assured with Souths. He is going nowhere

betcats

Referee
Not sure if this is true or not but I have read that Gus told Grevsmuhl to play bad so that he could get a release before June 30.

Hmm ive got no idea tbh. Its gone awfully quiet on the player swap though, you would think both Penrith and Souths would be keen to get it finalised...

Ttime

Juniors
Nope. Don't know why though... I'd love a Tyrone Peachy and apparently he was being shown the door.

betcats

Referee
Was there ever going to be a swap?

We would have to move someone out of our FG squad to accommodate Grevs this year. The rumour was one of the Jennings(robert most likely) boys for Chris, a couple of posters in the panthers forum who are usually on the money confirmed it was being discussed.

southsport

First Grade
We would have to move someone out of our FG squad to accommodate Grevs this year. The rumour was one of the Jennings(robert most likely) boys for Chris, a couple of posters in the panthers forum who are usually on the money confirmed it was being discussed.

That seems to be the long and the short of it, wait and see what happens i guess.

Valheru

Coach
Lol any coach whi is publically assured their job is definitely in line for the scrap heap.

souths_pride

Juniors
Believe it or not the training hard part is actually the easiest part in this whole equation. I could come up with a hard training regime for the players. Training hard is actually relatively easy especially if there is good morale in the group. When there's good morale players look forward to to the hard training sessions. When there's a good morale in camp everyone in the group is pushing each other to do better. When you have respect for a coach you'll do anything for him. Why do you think Bennett is so succesful. His players respect him and do anything for him. He isn't tactically a super coach, he's not usually on the cutting edged of training techniques like a Bellamy or a hasler. He's success is creating great morale and having total respect of his player. If their are problems within the group then no amount of hard training will help until those problems are overcome. A coach has to have the respect.of his player, he has got to be able to communities his vision to the player so they have faith thats his tactics or training techniques will work other wise players won't commit fully. He needs to become able to keep the group in good morale, not an easy thing with dozens of players with differing personalities. Of you think telling the players to just suck it up and just train harder will solve the problems we have at the moment then you are deluded.
I agree with your points about morale but the question we all need to ask ourselves is "where does morale come from?" In my view, it is all about winning; if you win games morale remains high; lose a few on the trot then morale begins to sink, even if you played well in those losses. It is a funny thing morale and if you could bottle it, you could sell it for a million bucks a pop! The coach can help boost morale by guiding them in training and what not, but I think it is ultimately results that influence morale the greatest. As for players respecting the coach, well I think that is something that is mandatory whether you like the guy or not. This is a professional organisation and when you are being paid to do a job you respect the guy in charge whether you like him or not. It may sound like a dictatorial but that's just the way it has to be in order to prevent anarchy from breaking out. If you find that you cannot respect the coach then it is better that you hit the road like Grevsmuhl did.

souths_pride

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-at-south-sydney-assured-20160511-goshm1.html

Thank goodness. A very very good article. Very good insight.

Great news.

If players don't want to work hard then they'll be shown the door.

Brilliant to hear. Acountability just like in our everyday jobs.

Richo will clear the trash.

The guys on here saying Madge is the problem have no idea and thank goodness aren't running our club.

In the club and Madge I trust:)
Extending the contract of the coach at this point in time would be a very shrewd move as it contains connotations of solidarity which will serve well in times of crisis and uncertainty. By backing Maguire in this way, it will prevent the football community from asking questions over the coach's position, which will give him one less thing to worry about. Moreover, it will send a message to the players that they have very little chance of overthrowing him and so it is either his way or the high way.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I agree with your points about morale but the question we all need to ask ourselves is "where does morale come from?" In my view, it is all about winning; if you win games morale remains high; lose a few on the trot then morale begins to sink, even if you played well in those losses. It is a funny thing morale and if you could bottle it, you could sell it for a million bucks a pop! The coach can help boost morale by guiding them in training and what not, but I think it is ultimately results that influence morale the greatest. As for players respecting the coach, well I think that is something that is mandatory whether you like the guy or not. This is a professional organisation and when you are being paid to do a job you respect the guy in charge whether you like him or not. It may sound like a dictatorial but that's just the way it has to be in order to prevent anarchy from breaking out. If you find that you cannot respect the coach then it is better that you hit the road like Grevsmuhl did.

You've never had a boss, a manager, a co-worker you didn't respect or didn't get on with?

Kilkenny

Coach
Extending the contract of the coach at this point in time would be a very shrewd move as it contains connotations of solidarity which will serve well in times of crisis and uncertainty. By backing Maguire in this way, it will prevent the football community from asking questions over the coach's position, which will give him one less thing to worry about. Moreover, it will send a message to the players that they have very little chance of overthrowing him and so it is either his way or the high way.

I don't know whether retaining your coach is good for the Bunnies but if you get Robert Jennings then you have done a very, very good piece of business. Huge talent and just needs to be injury free and given extended opportunity and will deliver the goods.

hurricane57

Juniors
Lol any coach whi is publically assured their job is definitely in line for the scrap heap.

I watched/read the latest Maguire set of excuses and am deeply disturbed.

I have given this much thought and watched a lot of games, mostly last year, not much bothered this year.
Maguire would have it that all the team failures can be laid firmly at the feet of the playing roster.
I put it to you all, that,

'Maguire and Maguire's ego has broken an otherwise well working football team'.

Maguire, it seems, is to be totally exonerated for all failures, like, say, arggggh, let me see, the whole of 2015's dismal performances.
Performances that had forwards, one out, one after the other, play after play, every f**king set of six, every f**king minute of every f**king game, week in, week out, this from a 'master' f**king coach.
Even the opposition forwards where bored with the 'master tacticians' repetitive game plans - jesus, what a laugh.

Now rugby league forwards might not be to bright but even the dumbest draft horse get to a point where to much becomes to much and you just refuse to keep charging the same f**king unbreakable wall - I don't blame the Burgess bros for breaking down.
In truth, I'm surprised they did so well.
I am not at all surprised at the number of players injured and the seriousness of these injuries and therefore the length of time needed to recover.
Isaac Luke did the right thing and bailed from a sinking ship - I'm surprised he didn't give Maguire a serve on the way out, both physically and verbally.

(have a go at the guys Maguire let go, Peats, Apasai, Koroasoi ? etc and the mediocrity we kept e.g McInnes, Clarke, Tyrell, f**k me. Well done Maguire. blame that on the players)

I would suggest to you that Maguire's tactics broke a well functioning football team.
I suggest to you that with the minor exception of the ball going out the back line on the third tackle, to the right side then back along the line of of players remaining in line on the forth tackle on every second set of tackles that are played when commenced in between the oppositions quarter line and half way line. Surprising how much trouble this simple tactic caused the opposition and how many trys resulted.
I would suggest too you that Maguire's play book with the previous mentioned addition has not changed one tiny jot, and will not change.

I don't think Maguire has the ability to turn things around, to bring this team up to a standard required to compete with other teams in this competition.
In fact I think Maguire has lost the change room, the team's confidence, and, as much as everybody will scream otherwise, once you have lost the team's confidence, well, it's time to move on.

Just a few thoughts...............

Last edited:

souths_pride

Juniors
You've never had a boss, a manager, a co-worker you didn't respect or didn't get on with?
I've had a few bosses that I didn't like but I respected their position because they were in charge. I was paid to do a job and I made sure that I did it to the best of my ability, regardless of who was running things. My logic was that those higher up would decide if my boss was no longer fit/suitable for the position and take appropriate action.
I watched/read the latest Maguire set of excuses and am deeply disturbed.

I have given this much thought and watched a lot of games, mostly last year, not much bothered this year.
Maguire would have it that all the team failures can be laid firmly at the feet of the playing roster.
I put it to you all, that,

'Maguire and Maguire's ego has broken an otherwise well working football team'.

Maguire, it seems, is to be totally exonerated for all failures, like, say, arggggh, let me see, the whole of 2015's dismal performances.
Performances that had forwards, one out, one after the other, play after play, every f**king set of six, every f**king minute of every f**king game, week in, week out, this from a 'master' f**king coach.
Even the opposition forwards where bored with the 'master tacticians' repetitive game plans - jesus, what a laugh.

Now rugby league forwards might not be to bright but even the dumbest draft horse get to a point where to much becomes to much and you just refuse to keep charging the same f**king unbreakable wall - I don't blame the Burgess bros for breaking down.
In truth, I'm surprised they did so well.
I am not at all surprised at the number of players injured and the seriousness of these injuries and therefore the length of time needed to recover.
Isaac Luke did the right thing and bailed from a sinking ship - I'm surprised he didn't give Maguire a serve on the way out, both physically and verbally.

(have a go at the guys Maguire let go, Peats, Apasai, Koroasoi ? etc and the mediocrity we kept e.g McInnes, Clarke, Tyrell, f**k me. Well done Maguire. blame that on the players)

I would suggest to you that Maguire's tactics broke a well functioning football team.
I suggest to you that with the minor exception of the ball going out the back line on the third tackle, to the right side then back along the line of of players remaining in line on the forth tackle on every second set of tackles that are played when commenced in between the oppositions quarter line and half way line. Surprising how much trouble this simple tactic caused the opposition and how many trys resulted.
I would suggest too you that Maguire's play book with the previous mentioned addition has not changed one tiny jot, and will not change.

I don't think Maguire has the ability to turn things around, to bring this team up to a standard required to compete with other teams in this competition.
In fact I think Maguire has lost the change room, the team's confidence, and, as much as everybody will scream otherwise, once you have lost the team's confidence, well, it's time to move on.

Just a few thoughts...............
I don't think Maguire broke anything. Its a bit ironic that you complain about the one-out stuff from dummy half because we have gone away from that style of play gradually since 2014. I would actually like to see us go back to that style because it was so effective and worked well for us. In 2015, we seemed to have this obsession with trying to play around teams with these sweeping set plays that would always culminate with Alex Johnston scoring in the corner. This season it is hard to determine what sort of style we are playing because there is none; we just seem to execute a series of arbitrary plays without any thought as to the game situation and what is going on around us. I do not necessarily blame the coach solely for this, rather it is a combination of a lot of thing including the continual selection of poor five-eight and dummy half options. In saying that, all of this discussion about attacking moves and styles etc is irrelevant if your forwards are not moving in the right direction and you are not hanging onto the football, which have been our biggest problems. Add to this lapses in concentration in defence and poor discipline and you have the main reasons for our demise. Basically, my main point is that yes our attacking style has changed and deteriorated but we are not doing the basics right which makes all of this talk about Maguire's tactics pointless.

hurricane57

Juniors
I've had a few bosses that I didn't like but I respected their position because they were in charge. I was paid to do a job and I made sure that I did it to the best of my ability, regardless of who was running things. My logic was that those higher up would decide if my boss was no longer fit/suitable for the position and take appropriate action.

I don't think Maguire broke anything. Its a bit ironic that you complain about the one-out stuff from dummy half because we have gone away from that style of play gradually since 2014. I would actually like to see us go back to that style because it was so effective and worked well for us. In 2015, we seemed to have this obsession with trying have been our biggest problems. Add to this lapses in concentration in defence and poor discipline and you have the main reasons for our demise. Basically, my main point is that yes our attacking style has changed and deteriorated but we are not doing the basics right which makes all of this talk about Maguire's tactics pointless.

I deleted the middle bit of your reply, just so it was a bit smaller, I apogise if it offends.

I disagree with you with your 'my one out' stuff and I would point out to you that, apart from Brown and now and again Sam B. not one Souths forward ever passes the ball.
I disagree with your 'ironic' bit that 'we have gone away from...' I point out to you that Souths only pass the ball along the back line when in the opposition half etc. I don't think this is new from Maguire just desperation.

Tonight against Parra, Souths are getting that 2014 role on both in defense and attack, don't think they deserve to be down as much as they are.

Then on came Jason f**king Clarke......thanks coach,

Latest posts