What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Match Payments vs more Tests

yakstorm

First Grade
Unsurprisingly following last weeks Rep Weekend, one of the biggest talking points has been the pay differences between what the Kangaroos / Kiwis get and what the Pacific nations get.

Naturally the people involved in those teams want the ability to attract the best players and feel better match payments will help them achieve this and want the NRL to help with this.

On the flip side we have plenty of people wanting the Pacific nations to play more games and of course want the NRL to help here as well.

Now in fairness to the NRL they have said they are open to coming to the party and the Samoa v Fiji game is an example of this (as is the Pacific Double Header).

Naturally though the NRL only has so much money and interest in this, so what is more important; more tests for the nations to take part in, but the players getting next to nothing for their commitment? Or leaving the status quo of one test per year and getting the players a better appearance fee?

Keep in mind the cost for the Pacific Double Header is around 500K and paying players say $10K per game (half the Roos fee) would add anothdr 680K to the tournament cost.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Without a doubt, more tests, less money more equally spread. At least you will get players passionate about international football playing and it will even out the discrepency between nations.

latingringo101

Juniors
Surely with the games being shown prime time, sponsors for teams and NRL help they could afford to pay the players a descent wage for the game.

siv

First Grade
How much did Fox pay the ARLC to put Samoa v Tonga on TV ?

As it took a prime NRL TV slot I consider the same value as a NRL game

If the ARLC and RLIF seperate out these funds from the NRL bucket

You have you match payments for Test players

If I assume U20 and NSW Cup games are only worth 25% of a NRL game

I work out this year that a Pacific Test was worth $5.5 mil to the ARLC

It is then very easy to pay yhe 34 players $25k or have Samoa RL charge the ARLC $1 plus mil to stage the event in future

Last edited:

latingringo101

Juniors
How much did Fox pay the ARLC to put Samoa v Tonga on TV ?

As it took a prime NRL TV slot I consider the same value as a NRL game

If the ARLC and RLIF seperate out these funds from the NRL bucket

You have you match payments for Test players

If I assume U20 and NSW Cup games are only worth 25% of a NRL game

I work out this year that a Pacific Test was worth $5.5 mil to the ARLC

It is then very easy to pay yhe 34 players $25k or have Samoa RL charge the ARLC $1 plus mil to stage the event in future

It's the NRL that runs the match not the Samoan/Tongan RL.

roughyedspud

Coach
and there in lies the problem....as i said about my little rant at the NRL last week..internationals is a RLIF,APRLC,tonga & samoa thing...not a NRL THING

deal.with.it

Juniors
and there in lies the problem....as i said about my little rant at the NRL last week..internationals is a RLIF,APRLC,tonga & samoa thing...not a NRL THING

Yet john frant clearly stated in the samoa press conference that it was up to the nrl to develop the SH and superleague the NH. That's the mentality. That the rlif has no resources snd it's up to 2 governing bodies to develop international RL. f**king crazy

roughyedspud

Coach
There isn't "super league" in the way theres the "NRL" in oz..and what i mean by that is the RFL run everything up here..where as down under the NRL is vastly more powerfull that the ARLC..

Ps..the RFL funded the RLEF since it was founded in 2003..so its john grant and ARLC that need to step up..

YES the NRL & ESL makes all the money,our combined tv deals are worth what? $2.3-$2.5billion...but its the national bodies the RFL,ARLC,NZRL etc that deals with the RLEF,APRLC & RLIF

i don't get why people struggle with that??

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach
It's the NRL that runs the match not the Samoan/Tongan RL.

This...

I'll put good money on it that if the RLIF look into all the bullshit that went on with players been banned from turning out for a pacific nation last week,which breaks a few RLIF laws..the NRL/ARLC will say the pacific tests are NRL sanctioned games and nothing to do with the RLIF...

deluded pom?

Coach
This...

I'll put good money on it that if the RLIF look into all the bullshit that went on with players been banned from turning out for a pacific nation last week,which breaks a few RLIF laws..the NRL/ARLC will say the pacific tests are NRL sanctioned games and nothing to do with the RLIF...

So what is the punishment if a player is selected for Origin and pulls out, or has this never happened?

flamin

Juniors
There isn't "super league" in the way theres the "NRL" in oz..and what i mean by that is the RFL run everything up here..where as down under the NRL is vastly more powerfull that the ARLC..

It's not accurate to say that the NRL is more powerful than the ARLC. The ARLC's power is the NRL. The ARLC functions as the board for the NRL. The CEO of the ARLC is the "NRL CEO".

siv

First Grade
We are seeing this heavy handed way of the NRL in many levels

But not paying Pacific nation players or Pacific nation RLs while making $10 mil from their appearances is piracy

How much does the RFL fund the RLEF ?

emride

Juniors

But not paying Pacific nation players or Pacific nation RLs while making $10 mil from their appearances is piracy
How do you reach the $10million figure for the two Pacific test matches? Given Channel 7 bought the Australian rights to the 2017 World Cup for almost $10million, I don't think your calculations are close to accurate.

emride

Juniors
I'm all for more international test matches, however as an example, last years All Black v Samoa Rugby Union test outlines the challenges the Pacific island nations face, with the Samoan RU losing $1million on the event, despite a sellout crowd, government support and significant publicity.

siv

First Grade
How do you reach the $10million figure for the two Pacific test matches? Given Channel 7 bought the Australian rights to the 2017 World Cup for almost $10million, I don't think your calculations are close to accurate.

Dont compare the value with a under sold RLEC

It needs to compared with a Foxtel primtime NRL game

So rathen assume 201 NRL games allow for the additional rep games that Fox broadcasts. Then divide the Pay-Tv broadcast deal by 208

roughyedspud

Coach

How much does the RFL fund the RLEF ?

Its become less & less in the last few years due to the RLEF seeking to be seen as a self relient organisation,which opens it up to grants from the EU..

But iirc,from reading various reports from the RFL & RLEF down theyears the RFL put on average £300,000+ ($500,000+) a year into the RLEF..

Since 2003 remember...theyve put millions into the RLEF

Last edited:

RedVee

First Grade
The NRL is a brand of the ARLC basically.

I think the TV rights of the Rep weekend are just part of the NRL season rights, not separate. I could be wrong.

If a selected Origin player makes himself unavailable (unapproved) then he misses the NRL round.

siv

First Grade
The NRL is a brand of the ARLC basically.

I think the TV rights of the Rep weekend are just part of the NRL season rights, not separate. I could be wrong.

If a selected Origin player makes himself unavailable (unapproved) then he misses the NRL round.

Yes there lies the problem

They a contracted to X games every weekend - which is fine

164K people watched the Samoa v Tonga test match basically a NRL match attendance for Fox

But the NRL used Samoan RL and Tongan RL interlectual property

And have paid nothing for it. To the players or the islander RL associations

Latest posts