What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

hindy111

Post Whore
You have to be a good athlete to be a good footballer though. You can't be a footballer if you don't have at least some athletic skill.

Its just not about being an athlete is more about not just running over the top of players using brut strength.
I am suprised it has taken so long to work out.:roll: Wow this 110kg 18 yld is making all these breaks running at guys who have not yet finished puberty.He is going to be a star.:lol:

Gronk

Staff member
http://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2016/05/17/r11_nyc_team_list.html?camefrom=EMCL_1102018_42341292

The Dyldam Parramatta Eels Holden Cup side to take on the Melbourne Storm at McCredie Park, Guildford on Sunday 22 May has been named by Head Coach Luke Burt.

Burt has retained the same side that came away with a 28-22 victory over the South Sydney Rabbitohs last week.

Kick off from McCredie Park is at 1pm.

Dyldam Parramatta Eels Holden Cup side

1. Bevan French

2. James Gammidge

3. Mason Cerruto

4. Dane Aukafolau

5. Jermaine Mati-Leifi

6. Dean Matterson

7. Michael Doolan

8. Alex Twal

9. Denzal Tonise (c)

10. Tom Amone

11. Jack Morris

12. Tyrell Fuimaono

13. Craig Field

Interchange:

14. Matt Price

15. Tom Field

16. Kurt De Luis

17. Jamie Stowers

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Its just not about being an athlete is more about not just running over the top of players using brut strength.
I am suprised it has taken so long to work out.:roll: Wow this 110kg 18 yld is making all these breaks running at guys who have not yet finished puberty.He is going to be a star.:lol:

Surely it's easier to teach footy skills than it is to teach size and speed.

hindy111

Post Whore
Surely it's easier to teach footy skills than it is to teach size and speed.

Tangino never had size just pure power. He would steam roll guys in under 20's and same goes for Falou. I am guessing always being stronger in their age group they do not develop other parts of their game as much. By the time they hit first grade they have played this way for 12+ years. Not that easy to just change when other guys it comes naturally to them.
It is fact that Islanders are stronger from a younger age and maybe in general but most white kids catch up by early 20's

BTW if it was easy to teach footy skill why have we not developed a decent back since hayne 10yrs ago or a halfback since sterling? Cant we just teach them?

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

18 and only 110kgs? That's about average I'd say.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That's a fair point OA. Clubs know they can't fill the NYC squad with potential first graders. In fact you'd be lucky if you can fit more than half a dozen under the measly $200k (we couldn't in 2014 when we absolutely smashed the NYC cap). So with your handful of potential first graders you need to surround them with 20+ kids you know will never play first grade. How do you select those? Simply by picking big athletes that will play well at that level.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Tangino never had size just pure power. He would steam roll guys in under 20's and same goes for Falou. I am guessing always being stronger in their age group they do not develop other parts of their game as much. By the time they hit first grade they have played this way for 12+ years. Not that easy to just change when other guys it comes naturally to them.
It is fact that Islanders are stronger from a younger age and maybe in general but most white kids catch up by early 20's

BTW if it was easy to teach footy skill why have we not developed a decent back since hayne 10yrs ago or a halfback since sterling? Cant we just teach them?

I didn't say it was easy, I said it was easier. The fact there are so many physical requirements on all NRL players these days, just to fit into modern defensive structures, means that the naturally gifted playmakers (who only develop into NRL playmakers after they have been taught how to use their natural talents) are often weeded out before they even get full time contracts.

If a kid is too slow or small to contribute in defence there is no point honing his playmaking skills.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
That's a fair point OA. Clubs know they can't fill the NYC squad with potential first graders. In fact you'd be lucky if you can fit more than half a dozen under the measly $200k (we couldn't in 2014 when we absolutely smashed the NYC cap). So with your handful of potential first graders you need to surround them with 20+ kids you know will never play first grade. How do you select those? Simply by picking big athletes that will play well at that level.

I'm not a fan (now) of just putting big kids in, I don't think it helps the players around them that you think will play first grade.. What I'd rather see us do/what I would do is try and get players that are of a similar style to your first grade players and get them to have similar structures to what you have in first grade. This allows a player to easily progress through the system and once they're training with the first grade team they know that they have to run a certain line or a certain play will be called in a situation.

I think if we wanted to simply put the biggest kids we have in the team we would have gone with Frank Salu and Jarrod Tompkins who are both monsters, unless there's another reason why we aren't playing them?

hindy111

Post Whore
I'm not a fan (now) of just putting big kids in, I don't think it helps the players around them that you think will play first grade.. What I'd rather see us do/what I would do is try and get players that are of a similar style to your first grade players and get them to have similar structures to what you have in first grade. This allows a player to easily progress through the system and once they're training with the first grade team they know that they have to run a certain line or a certain play will be called in a situation.

I think if we wanted to simply put the biggest kids we have in the team we would have gone with Frank Salu and Jarrod Tompkins who are both monsters, unless there's another reason why we aren't playing them?

You know our junior system 1000s times more then me. Who from under 20's will make first grade in your eyes?
I guess Twal-Bevan-Dargan-Fuimanno are the obvious candidates. Do you think they will al make it? Or is there others you rate as a bolter?

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I didn't say it was easy, I said it was easier. The fact there are so many physical requirements on all NRL players these days, just to fit into modern defensive structures, means that the naturally gifted playmakers (who only develop into NRL playmakers after they have been taught how to use their natural talents) are often weeded out before they even get full time contracts.

If a kid is too slow or small to contribute in defence there is no point honing his playmaking skills.

My original point wasn't explained enough, mainly because I was bludging at work but needed to get back to it. You can have the best "footballing brain" in the world, you can see little things in the defensive line that no one else sees but if you don't have the athletic capabilities to capatalise on it then what's the point of having those abilities?

Also you can have footballing abilities plus athletic ability but you could have no drive to succeed.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
You know our junior system 1000s times more then me. Who from under 20's will make first grade in your eyes?
I guess Twal-Bevan-Dargan-Fuimanno are the obvious candidates. Do you think they will al make it? Or is there others you rate as a bolter?

Hard to say who will definitely make first grade, there's just too many factors that are an unknown to me such as: work ethic (may look good on field but be shit house on the training paddock), mental strength, off field behaviours. And then there's the unknowns to everyone such as picking up an injury.

Those 4 definitely have the skill to make it, and the staff know this as 3 of them have made their NSW cup debuts but funnily enough the only one not to make his NSW cup debut (Fuimaono) is rumoured to be in our top 25 this year which means he trains full time.

A bolter I rate is Jack Morris. Decent size, good kid, and he's tough. Doesn't have the best "footy" skills but he'll get the job done. I think I may have mentioned it earlier, if he does some extras with Beau Scott/Manu Ma'u I could see him ending up that style of back-rower.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Just remember a few years ago Frazer was rated as good in not better then Paulo / Pritchard / tepai / kelepi / Pauli, yet he doesn't even have an NRL contract at 22.

Players need more than talent.

PS how is Loko going ?

Parra47

Juniors
I've been involved in the game one way or another for 30 years and been involved in junior coaching for a number of years off and on. You can teach a kid the game, the basics, but some kids are simply way ahead of the rest with their footy 'vision'. You can't teach that. The kids either have it or they do not. You will see a team of decent kids in say the 15's and there might be a kid who is on a whole different level. His footy brain is much more switched on.
It's like a Sterlo, Langer, Cameron Smith, Gavin Miller etc, not what you would call big athletic types, but their footy brain is way above many others.

Delboy

First Grade
Just remember a few years ago Frazer was rated as good in not better then Paulo / Pritchard / tepai / kelepi / Pauli, yet he doesn't even have an NRL contract at 22.

Players need more than talent.

PS how is Loko going ?

Spoke to a recruitment guy, and was told that Frazer would be the last big round dominant type player he would sign , the club needs to move onto football players that can be developed. Not someone who dominates at jumior level due to size and aggression.

Interesting as we see the changes at the club

hindy111

Post Whore
Spoke to a recruitment guy, and was told that Frazer would be the last big round dominant type player he would sign , the club needs to move onto football players that can be developed. Not someone who dominates at jumior level due to size and aggression.

Interesting as we see the changes at the club

Without sounding racist i bought up with a mate how our under 20's side seemed to have a lot less islanders in it this year

Latest posts