What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New South Wales 2016

Laurie Daley's biggest problem when he took over as NSW Origin Coach? He didn't insist on a clean out of the NSW Selectors. After all the years of failure we still have Bob McCarthy, Bob Fulton and Geoff Gerard (iirc) trying to justify their past selection "successes". In a sport like this, everyone has a used by date, and their's passed years ago.

Until we get rid of those three and get some fresh blood ion the selection room, it would not matter if we had Jesus as the NSW Origin Coach we'd still be behind the eight ball with those 3 selecting the side.

T.T

Juniors
no way should Bird play for origin this year. He is so over hyped. Not even the best centre at cronulla lol

Laurie Daley's biggest problem when he took over as NSW Origin Coach? He didn't insist on a clean out of the NSW Selectors. After all the years of failure we still have Bob McCarthy, Bob Fulton and Geoff Gerard (iirc) trying to justify their past selection "successes". In a sport like this, everyone has a used by date, and their's passed years ago.

Until we get rid of those three and get some fresh blood ion the selection room, it would not matter if we had Jesus as the NSW Origin Coach we'd still be behind the eight ball with those 3 selecting the side.

Agreed. How many series has it been and we still haven't managed to shake of that dud in Pearce and his little buddy Cordner keeps popping up as well. Those two and Josh Jackson should f**k off and never play origin again.

Jason Maher

Immortal
If TheDugan is unavailable:

1. Lachlan Coote
2. Josh Mansour
3. Michael Jennings
4. Josh Morris
5. James Roberts
6. James Maloney
7. Adam Reynolds
13. Wade Graham
12. Tyson Frizell
11. Paul Gallen
10. Aaron Woods
9. Michael Ennis
8. James Tamou

14. David Klemmer
15. Andrew Fifita
16. Bryce Cartwright
17. Matthew Moylan

Yes, I know Boyd Cordner and Beau Scott will be picked, but they shouldn't be. Neither should Blake Ferguson. Paul Vaughan would be my 18th man. It maters not which one of Moylan and Coote you put at 1 and which on the bench.

dogz08

First Grade
Agreed. How many series has it been and we still haven't managed to shake of that dud in Pearce and his little buddy Cordner keeps popping up as well. Those two and Josh Jackson should f**k off and never play origin again.

bro do you support the dogs or the eels?

Barkley

Bench

1. Lachlan Coote
2. Josh Mansour
3. Michael Jennings
4. Josh Morris
5. James Roberts
6. James Maloney
7. Adam Reynolds
13. Wade Graham
12. Tyson Frizell
11. Paul Gallen
10. Aaron Woods
9. Michael Ennis
8. James Tamou

14. David Klemmer
15. Andrew Fifita
16. Bryce Cartwright
17. Matthew Moylan

Yes, I know Boyd Cordner and Beau Scott will be picked, but they shouldn't be. Neither should Blake Ferguson. Paul Vaughan would be my 18th man. It maters not which one of Moylan and Coote you put at 1 and which on the bench.

We can only hope the side looks like this.

ram raid

Bench
1. Mulan
2. Lebanese Adonis
3. Inglis Roadblock
4. Jenko
5. "Fastest man on the planet" Roberts or "fastest man on the planet" Radrara

6. "One season wonder" Maloney
7. Polite Reynolds

8. "Don't touch my hair :(" Woods
9. Menace
10. Aussie Jim

11. "Origin material" Cordner
12. Beau "knows smashing Queenslanders" Scott
13. Paul "the victim" Gallen

14. Good Fifita
15. David "biggest head in the world" Klemmer
16. Better than his dad Cartwright
17. J Bird (I got nothing)

:lol:

big hit!

Bench

1. Lachlan Coote
2. Josh Mansour
3. Michael Jennings
4. Josh Morris
5. James Roberts
6. James Maloney
7. Adam Reynolds
13. Wade Graham
12. Tyson Frizell
11. Paul Gallen
10. Aaron Woods
9. Michael Ennis
8. James Tamou

14. David Klemmer
15. Andrew Fifita
16. Bryce Cartwright
17. Matthew Moylan

graham in the middle and gallen to play on the edge, or do you just want to see #11 on the latter's back?

big hit!

Bench

I thought they changed it. The coach selects his squad with only Bozo in there as 'advisor.'

ranga

Juniors
Tyrone Peachey would be the best benchy possible has played hooker back row and halves way better option than Bird

Last edited:

BranVan3000

Coach
Re: Reynolds Deserves To Be A Blue
The stats say Adam Reynolds has earned a berth with the NSW Blues.
State of Origin 2016: Why Adam Reynolds is set to be the NSW Blues halfback
SMH
BRAD WALTER

They are the statistics which show why Adam Reynolds is set to be halfback for NSW in Origin I.

South Sydney's playmaker averages more try assists per match this season than Queensland superstar Johnathan Thurston, while his kicking game is responsible for more tries for team-mates than any player in the NRL.

Reynolds, who has played six matches after suffering a broken jaw in the opening round, has made nine try assists this season – an average of 1.5 per match.

In comparison, Thurston is credited with 13 try assists in 11 matches at an average of 1.18 per match.

According to Champion Data, Reynolds leads the NRL for average try assists per match and is also No.1 for total try assists from kicks, with Souths having scored eight tries from his boot.

The next best is Parramatta halfback Corey Norman with six try assists from kicks, followed by Gold Coast rookie Ash Taylor (five), Thurston, Brisbane's Ben Hunt and Cronulla hooker Michael Ennis, whose kicks have resulted in four tries apiece.

St George Illawarra captain Gareth Widdop, Melbourne halfback Cooper Cronk, Sydney Roosters five-eighth Jackson Hastings and Sharks playmaker James Maloney make up the top 10 with three each.

Maloney and Reynolds are expected to be the Blues' halves pairing for the series opener at ANZ Stadium on June 1 after moving ahead of their rivals with good performances in recent weeks.

It is believed NSW coach Laurie Daley was initially leaning towards the combination of Reynolds and Canterbury five-eighth Josh Reynolds, but an injury to one and dip in form by the other had thrown the playmaking roles in the Blues line-up wide open until this week.

Roosters halfback Mitchell Pearce starred in his comeback game from an eight-match suspension against Newcastle three weeks ago but could only be described as solid in his second match on the Gold Coast last Monday night, and there appear to be too many questions about him and the media circus he would attract for Daley to re-unite him with Maloney.

There are also doubts about the fitness of Knights halfback Trent Hodkinson, who did not play in last weekend's thrashing by Cronulla due to ongoing knee problems and has failed to recapture the form he previously displayed alongside Josh Reynolds at the Bulldogs.

Maloney has been the most consistent of the NSW-eligible halves this season, while Reynolds has arguably been the best in his performances against the Roosters in round one, Parramatta in round 10 and the Dragons last Thursday night.

Reynolds, who surpassed 800 career points in the 34-24 defeat of the Dragons, had three try assists in that match and earned the Rabbitohs three repeat sets from kicks in goal.

With Maloney considered a running five-eighth it is thought that Reynolds will complement him, and any concerns about his defence appear unfounded as he has a 92.9 per cent tackle efficiency rate after making 113 tackles and missing just eight in his six matches this season.

Reynolds told reporters after the win over the Dragons that he was hopeful of being chosen for his State of Origin debut, but his focus had been on helping Souths kick-start their season after missing five matches with the broken jaw.

"If the opportunity did come I think I would be ready," Reynolds said. "You can't really do too much until you get there. That was always something on my mind, that I wanted to just really focus on Souths and when the opportunity did come, I'd worry about it then.

"Nothing's ever set in stone, but if the opportunity would come, I'd be more than happy to grab it. As a player you're always confident in yourself but all things are out of my hands at the moment. If I don't make it this year, I'll definitely be trying to make it next year. And if I don't make it the year after, I'll be trying even harder the year after. For me, it's just about growing continually as a person and as a player."

Try Assists from kicks
8 - Adam Reynolds (Rabbitohs)
6 - Corey Norman (Eels)
5 - Ash Taylor (Titans)
4- Michael Ennis (Sharks)
4 - Ben Hunt (Broncos)
4- Johnathan Thurston (Cowboys)
3- Jackson Hastings (Roosters)
3- Gareth Widdop (Dragons)
3 - Cooper Cronk (Storm)
3- James Maloney (Sharks)

Adam Reynolds 2016 stats
6 games
241 possessions
142 passes
2 offloads
24 runs (260m)
70 kicks
9 try assists
1 line break assist
113 tackles
8 missed tackles

Source: Champion Data

BranVan3000

Coach
A Reynolds ain't no superstar but hes the best we have at this point

I think the key is to use him to his strengths. Don't go in expecting a running half, establish a game plan around Reynolds building kick pressure, repeat sets, tries off kicks. Shit just use the Souths 2014 game plan. Dominate the middle, crush the opponent with sustained pressure

Clifferd

Coach
It's sad Tedesco will now be forgotten out of all this because of injury and he'd be way down the pecking order when he comes back

Spanner in the works

First Grade
We need a kicking game in this side. We haven't really had that in 10 years. I'd even consider pairing Reynolds with Soward and kick the shit out of the Queensland side. As good as Queensland's halves and backline is, it's a big ask for any side if your pack is continually coming off their own line.