What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantom eel

First Grade

Do you want is to give the DT extra clicks or can you just tell us the gist of that article?
Knights backrower Robbie Rochow seriously weighing up joining Cronulla or Parramatta

May 30, 2016 7:25pmMatt LogueThe Daily Telegraph

NEWCASTLE could lose another player with off-contract back-rower Robbie Rochow seriously weighing up joining Cronulla or Parramatta.

On the back of Tariq Sims leaving the Knights to sign a three-year deal worth $1.2 million with St George Illawarra, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Rochow has indicated a desire to depart at season’s end to play in a side that can compete for a title.

Newcastle already field the NRL’s most inexperienced side and Rochow’s exit would certainly add to this, especially with veteran forward Jeremy Smith retiring this year.

It’s understood the Sharks and Eels are the favourites to snare Rochow’s signature.

Despite the interest, the Country Origin representative is yet to receive a formal offer from any club — including the Knights.

The Sharks are currently working through the futures of off-contract forwards Chris Heighington, Luke Lewis and Sam Tagataese.

All three players want to remain in the NRL beyond this season, but it may not be realistic under the salary cap.

Heighington has been linked to finishing his career in England and he refused to rule out this option.

“I’ll definitely have to look at it,” Heighington said of playing in the English Super League.

“I’d love to stay in the NRL because I still feel like I’ve got a bit to offer here, but we’ll see what happens.

“I want to keep playing, I don’t know where.

“Hopefully I can stay here (at the Sharks), but if not I’ll have to look elsewhere.”

Heighington’s potential departure could open the door for Rochow to sign with the Sharks.

The Maitland-born back-rower is currently sidelined after fracturing his arm for a second time at training earlier this month.

He is expected to return from injury in three weeks.

Parramatta has also expressed an interest in Rochow despite the club’s current woes with the salary cap.

The Eels have already been forced to offload Nathan Peats and Junior Paulo to the Gold Coast and Canberra respectively, while fullback Michael Gordon has been linked to a mid-season move to the Roosters.

Parramatta have also guaranteed $500,000 in third-party agreements for 2017, which are set to be included in next year’s salary cap.

The club is desperate to retain star five-eighth Corey Norman on a multi-million dollar deal over four years, so it would be extremely difficult to add players to their roster.

This leaves the Sharks firming as Rochow’s most likely destination for next season and beyond.

Rochow’s looming departure follows news Sims has decided to leave Newcastle before June 30.

Sims is expected to officially announce he has signed a deal with the Dragons in the coming days.

The former North Queensland forward informed his teammates after training on Sunday of his desire to depart for greater financial and security.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
Says we have no money...500k in tpas will count next year.So we are 500k down on other teams....

Academy

Chipmunk

Coach
Nice. He'd be the second best edge forward at our club.

Rochow goes OK, but I'm not sure he's any better than either Beau Scott or Manu Ma'u. Plus we have both of those guys already on our books next season, as well as Edwards. I think we'd be better off with a couple of decent middle forwards.

strider

Post Whore
Rochow goes OK, but I'm not sure he's any better than either Beau Scott or Manu Ma'u. Plus we have both of those guys already on our books next season, as well as Edwards. I think we'd be better off with a couple of decent middle forwards.

Agree

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Agree with Chimpmunk, we need middle forwards we are fine on the edges.

Mau, Edwards and Beau is pretty damn good.

We are weak up front IMO.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Edwards can play in the middle, Moeroa needs to put on some weight and Scott already spends most of each game in the middle.

We'd be better off with two 80 minute edge forwards.

^b0ss^

Juniors
Anyone heard anything on gordon,during the game last night they were pretty much saying his gone to roosters.

Gronk

Staff member
Anyone heard anything on gordon,during the game last night they were pretty much saying his gone to roosters.

Looks like we're prepared to do the right thing and let him go early if he can find a job for 2017+.

^b0ss^

Juniors
Gronk, do we get a gain money wise by letting players go this yr eg jrn,gordon.reason i ask is because it seems we are making room for someone.

Gronk

Staff member
7th_Tackle ‏@7th_Tackle 12h12 hours ago
Should be Michael Gordon's last game for @TheParraEels. Set to accept 18 month offer @sydneyroosters but . . . @SSFCRABBITOHS keen too.

Gronk

Staff member
7th_Tackle ‏@7th_Tackle
Should be Michael Gordon's last game for @TheParraEels. Set to accept 18 month offer @sydneyroosters but . . . @SSFCRABBITOHS keen too.

Status
Not open for further replies.