What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dufty for fullback

TheRev

First Grade
Defensively he is gutsy his size lets him down, got smashed today and these guys arent that big... the only solution I think is that he gets a crack in the halves, maybe next year in NSW Cup.. he has so much pace that when he stutters when running across the defensive line, he generates gaps and defensive errors.. and he did throw a few select passes too, honestly I think thats the solution, I dont see the point in pushing the fullback route.. I mean we can try it but I think were wasting time, it wont hurt him either to brush up on his 5/8 skills.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Defensively he is gutsy his size lets him down, got smashed today and these guys arent that big... the only solution I think is that he gets a crack in the halves, maybe next year in NSW Cup.. he has so much pace that when he stutters when running across the defensive line, he generates gaps and defensive errors.. and he did throw a few select passes too, honestly I think thats the solution, I dont see the point in pushing the fullback route.. I mean we can try it but I think were wasting time, it wont hurt him either to brush up on his 5/8 skills.

Been saying this for weeks now, his future is not as a fullback and he's played in the halves before. Next year he should be playing in the Cutters as 5/8 as I believe Nona is heading back to Qld.

pjljmjjj

Juniors
Yes he might have not stopped one try but I doubt many fullbacks would have in that position. But he did stop two possible others. Again as I have said previously he should be given his chance in cutters. He deserves the chance. We all know that Quinlan is never going to make it in 1st grade and maybe dufty wont but he needs to be given the chance but that wont happen under the current coaching / management. Only Hornby has been pushing for it but falls on deaf ears. On the possibility of playing in halves well that is what he has always been when playing in juniors but it was the dragons who pushed him to full back. Maybe the greener pastures elsewhere will prove the dragons again have failed a local junior.

TheRev

First Grade
Been saying this for weeks now, his future is not as a fullback and he's played in the halves before. Next year he should be playing in the Cutters as 5/8 as I believe Nona is heading back to Qld.
I agree now.. wasnt 100% but if were going to re-sign him.. lets do that.. I dont think it can be in 2016, let the 20s have a real crack at the finals, and Jai's goalkicking is the difference.

But that Cutters 6 jersey.. its hotly contested.. we might need to dump Nona & Wallace, potentially McCrone &/or Hutchinson. oh and perhaps Quinlan.. the depth for the 6 jersey is a swollen river, and we need to thin it.. its not an easy choice.. Wallace has a lot of the attributes that Dufty has also.

Lethal25

Juniors

IMO Jai Field is the guy who needs some time with the Cutters at 5/8 not Dufty. He kicks well, is as quick as Dufty and his passing game looks good. Field is very slight but as we've seen time and time again a good off season on the weights can transform their build

pjljmjjj

Juniors
IMO Jai Field is the guy who needs some time with the Cutters at 5/8 not Dufty. He kicks well, is as quick as Dufty and his passing game looks good. Field is very slight but as we've seen time and time again a good off season on the weights can transform their build
Only way he is is a quick as dufty is if he had a ten metre start but he does have some ability as a half. lets see how well dragons manage his future.

TheRev

First Grade
Well yeah, I forgot Mann too.. honestly there are so many blokes who could be the one.. and we can only pick one of them.. its super frustrating.

RedV65

Juniors
I was talking to Dufty today and asked him if the Dragons are talking to him about a contract extension as he is off contract at the end of the year. He said that they haven't even approached him yet. He also told me that he loves the Dragons. I don't know what management are doing but this kid should be signed ASAP. He is a star of the future.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I was talking to Dufty today and asked him if the Dragons are talking to him about a contract extension as he is off contract at the end of the year. He said that they haven't even approached him yet. He also told me that he loves the Dragons. I don't know what management are doing but this kid should be signed ASAP. He is a star of the future.

WTF.......are you serious!!

Our recruitment is surely a committee of clowns

GC Dragon

Juniors
I have watched Dufty play a few times this year and he is the makings of a very good footballer ...And he is plenty tough for his size as well . I am not sure if he will end up being a 6 instead of a fullback but ithink he will be a first grader ...If not with us with somebody else .

watatank

Coach
Wouldn't have Dufty at fullback but he should just be trying to build his body up and play NSW Cup to develop his game and confidence. Don't see the point of playing in the halves to 'hide' him, wherever he plays he needs to be physically up to the role and will most likely debut fullback if he makes it anyway.

TheRev

First Grade
Wouldn't have Dufty at fullback but he should just be trying to build his body up and play NSW Cup to develop his game and confidence. Don't see the point of playing in the halves to 'hide' him, wherever he plays he needs to be physically up to the role and will most likely debut fullback if he makes it anyway.
It would be like playing Soward at fullback, yeah he will do his best, maybe he will stop 25% of the rampaging runs or out-leaphis 6ft4 oponents.. but if he can bring his running, speed, backing up and passing game to 5/8, then why not put him there? He can handle a bit of D, fullback is a tonne of D.

In the end, the coaching staff and he will know whats best, I just hope its been considered.. and the decision is whats best for him, not just whos available in the squad.

watatank

Coach
Does he have the same impact as a half though? He wouldn't have the same time, space and freedom to do what he does in the halves. He should just build his body up and try to be versatile, maybe play both positions. It gives him a better chance of staying in an NRL squad if you can play more than one position if you aren't quite ready yet.

Uplifting

Juniors
Give him a go I say. The fact that he's smaller and younger makes it even more interesting - let's see what he can do in the NRL.

BennyV

Referee
It would be like playing Soward at fullback, yeah he will do his best, maybe he will stop 25% of the rampaging runs or out-leaphis 6ft4 oponents.. but if he can bring his running, speed, backing up and passing game to 5/8, then why not put him there? He can handle a bit of D, fullback is a tonne of D.

In the end, the coaching staff and he will know whats best, I just hope its been considered.. and the decision is whats best for him, not just whos available in the squad.

If fullback is a 'tonne of D' then the rest of our team aren't doing their job.

dragoncountry

Juniors
I watched Dufty again yesterday and again was the stand out to me before his untimely head knock. the kid has guts. he is a fullback not a 5/8, he is the difference from the back, remember it is 20s, these guys cant tackle and he will always have big boys running at him once they break the line as they often do in 20s but that wont be the case in FG, or even cutters for that reason. I agree maybe a year in cutters to give him a taste but we don't want to lose him. jai field is an out and out 5/8, classy, runs to the line, can kick goals. size is his down fall at the moment, persist and build these two in their current positions, don't change them.

pjljmjjj

Juniors

You are 100% correct and the wagons are circling him from other clubs. If the dragons don't do anything as I have been saying all along he will be gone and it will be the dragons loss.