What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

84 Baby

Referee
I agree. We need separate boards for the PLC and PNRLC.

You know, back in the day I agreed with having the two under the same umbrella.

But since 2008 it has slowly and surely become clear that we need two companies and two boards, and maybe even private backing so the club isn't sucking on the leagues clubs tit.

A good strong PLC Board will make the PLC a continuing growing interest.
A good strong PNRL Board will spend the PLC's money wisely and will make enough on its own with good sponsorships and good results that it wont need to suck the PLC dry to do so.

Separate Boards is all we need.

It's not all we need.

We need to be appointing directors from a far far broader talent pool.

Will the PLC continue to fund PNRL if they completely split the boards?
We don't need completely separate boards. We need the best 7 (or however many) directors on each board working in unison and they could be the same people or some people on both boards or whatever. In terms of the football side it doesn't take many qualifications. Know the rules, don't be merkin in media, sign quality people to the executive roles & then just be "friendly" with the club stakeholders. Can almost guarantee Politis knew next to nothing about operating a football club when he joined Roosters, but he is very very good at those last two points

Bigfella

Coach
Who's we kemosabe?

That sort of hidden agenda factionalism is what makes us sick.

f**k off with your political shit and re- fighting lost elections past and certainly don't try to cloak is with your petty vindictive feuds.

Ps this was responding to the phantom bar not 84

Bigfella

Coach
I can't wait for the next post pretending to be anti factional which is actually aimed at White a ting one of the factions

We really look close to moving forward.

Then for every two of those we get another brain dead chorus of "we can't appoint outsiders" and "parra people know best"

No they don't. Years of self interest and incompetence have guaranteed mediocrity and infighting.

It has to change and change now.

84 Baby

Referee
I can't wait for the next post pretending to be anti factional which is actually aimed at White a ting one of the factions

Then for every two of those we get another brain dead chorus of "we can't appoint outsiders" and "parra people know best"

No they don't. Years of self interest and incompetence have guaranteed mediocrity and infighting.

I reckon NRL should just order Shane Richardson (at least he's proven) to be our CEO

emjaycee

Coach
We don't need completely separate boards. We need the best 7 (or however many) directors on each board working in unison and they could be the same people or some people on both boards or whatever. In terms of the football side it doesn't take many qualifications. Know the rules, don't be merkin in media, sign quality people to the executive roles & then just be "friendly" with the club stakeholders. Can almost guarantee Politis knew next to nothing about operating a football club when he joined Roosters, but he is very very good at those last two points

So one plan I have proposed is to elect a 7 man PLC Board from the best we can find and with a strong focus on running a $100M Gaming business. This should not be football focused fans who simply want to be part of the footy "in-crowd".

Only 3 of the PLC Board get to go onto the PNRL Board at anyone time and these should be selected by the 7 Board members, but endorsed by the PLC AGM each year. These 3 allow the PLC to make sure their financial contribution is managed well.

2 of the remaining 4 spots on the PNRL Board come from NRL nominated independent people which meets the demand of the NRL from the Governance review.

1 of the remaining 2 comes from the Parramatta District Junior Clubs (such as Rhinos, Hills Bulls, Wenty, etc) and is not elected but nominated by the junior clubs each year. This gives the Juniors a say in how the money they get is spent and helps them get a focus from the PNRL club.

The last of the spots goes to a popular vote by the B&G Army membership and could be anyone that nominates (ex-player/coach/local celebrity/whomever) and this election could be held on-line allowing non-locals to vote (this is not governed by the Registered Clubs Act which precludes online or proxy voting).

This is one way to remove the factions and keep them away and if only 3 of the PLC Board get to go on the NRL Board it will stop us getting the wrong people on the PLC Board to start with.

I am sure there are other options - this is just my model.

Last edited:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

Yep. It is the oldest trick in the book.

Delboy

First Grade
WhIle I would like to see the response to the breaches , in case they do have an answer to the charges and points deduction, the club needs to act

Despite differences in the past, plenty of them, , BF is correct. The club needs to have an independent process of suitable qualified independent nominees , willing to pursue a board position to take the club forward and in the process dismiss the factionalism to a place in should not recover from

If there is a requirement for 4 persons to move to the PNRL board, the remaining 3 should also be able to nominate and interviewed in a similar manner, even to the point of stating their case in front of the PLC board.

The club is a powerhouse and should have people prepared to ensure that position is enhanced, not only by ongoing improvement in the PLC ( the new development is obviously crucial and needs to be well managed), but by ensuring there remains a nexus with the PNRL

I doubt that the people needed to do this job will want to be on a ticket and be subject to innuendo and pressure from factions and we know best individuals, to be frank the club needs to grasp the opportunity and elect independent board, and appoint a strong CEO to the PNRL asap...

Chipmunk

Coach
I'm not prepared to back any new board members if they have and ties at all to previous elections or boards or factions.
I think we should vote on a Leagues club board and the NRL should take over the board of the NRL side for a period of 2 years and then hand it back to the leagues club when things are more stable.

Again, I ask the question, who would contribute what the Leagues Club currently contributes to the football club, if the NRL is running the football club?

84 Baby

Referee
So one plan I have proposed is to elect a 7 man PLC Board from the best we can find and with a strong focus on running a $100M Gaming business. This should not be football focused fans who simply want to be part of the footy "in-crowd".

Only 3 of the PLC Board get to go onto the PNRL Board at anyone time and these should be selected by the 7 Board members, but endorsed by the PLC AGM each year. These 3 allow the PLC to make sure their financial contribution is managed well.

2 of the remaining 4 spots on the PNRL Board come from NRL nominated independent people which meets the demand of the NRL from the Governance review.

1 of the remaining 2 comes from the Parramatta District Junior Clubs (such as Rhinos, Hills Bulls, Wenty, etc) and is not elected but nominated by the junior clubs each year. This gives the Juniors a say in how the money they get is spent and helps them get a focus from the PNRL club.

The last of the spots goes to a popular vote by the B&G Army membership and could be anyone that nominates (ex-player/coach/local celebrity/whomever) and this election could be held on-line allowing non-locals to vote (this is not governed by the Registered Clubs Act which precludes online or proxy voting).

This is one way to remove the factions and keep them away and if only 3 of the PLC Board get to go on the NRL Board it will stop us getting the wrong people on the PLC Board to start with.

Sounds good. With the 2 "independent" spots I'd change it to the nominations committee model, with that committee made up of NRL & Parra people. That way NRL can still monitor our directorship but we still have say in who is running the club

Green River Eel

Juniors

Mate are you out of your freaking mind, ''the last spot goes to popular vote from the BNG army, could be an ex coach, player, celebrity''
Do you want this club to stay a basket case for ever?
Are you taking the piss?

Green River Eel

Juniors
So for months we members and fans have been demanding that Sharp and the Board take accountability for their actions and incompetence and help the club move forward. Yet when Gerard does this he gets slammed on here. Maybe he has simply accepted the fact that we are in shit, the NRL are about to hand down our final penalty and making further waves by attacking the NRL hierarchy is not the best way forward.

I prefer this than the approach used by other Board members who remain in denial about the fact we cheated and have used the media in the last month to have a go at the NRL. The same Board members who voted to support the legal challenge for the GO5 and spend hundred's of thousands of the members money. The same Board members who have voted to not allow Bevan Paul to step in and start providing some leadership to the NRL company. The same Board members who don't want someone like Bernie Gurr as CEO because they know they cannot control him. The same Board members who picked John Boulos as the CEO in a clear job for the boys selection. The same Board members who I guarantee will not give up their places on the Board for the betterment of the Club.

At least Geoff Gerard has openly stated he will step down from the Board - unlike the others, excluding Serrao who stated it on the weekend.

Agree with you here mate, its all too little to late but at least Geoff is trying to do the right thing, he's attempting to put the club first and he's getting bagged for it, he's taking some responsibility and people are whinging.

He has to say it by himself because the other 3 will fight to the death to clear their reputations, there is never going to be a group announcement, the other 3 will never admit they were wrong so people can't blame him for going it alone, well done to Geoff

emjaycee

Coach
Mate are you out of your freaking mind, ''the last spot goes to popular vote from the BNG army, could be an ex coach, player, celebrity''
Do you want this club to stay a basket case for ever?
Are you taking the piss?

Mate 1 out of 7 directors is such a small minority that it wouldn't make it a basket case and it appeases the 20,000+ members of the NRL club (i.e the B&G Army) who don't otherwise get any say in who is involved in running their football club.

So you think that the NRL would just replace every cent that the Leagues Club provides the NRL Team?

In answer to this and your earlier question, the thing I suggested about a month ago was for the NRL to guarantee funding equal to the average net contribution of the Leagues Club over the past 3 years. This is nothing like the $8m being bandied about in the press, because the NRL Grant to Leagues Club is being treated as a revenue of the Leagues Club (as are gate receipts). It seems more in the order of $1.5-$2m. Then appoint some bloke like John Quayle in a chair role and call for tenders for a small mgmt team to run the operation, with the key guys having incentive compo built-in with respect to improvement onfield and off-field performance. At the end of X years, the PLC have the right to match the best offer for the NRL franchise.

The big problem with my plan is current player contracts, which are with the Parra NRL Club (presumably) and cannot be assigned without express agreement.

But in terms of funding.....yeh, the NRL up to a pre-determined limit. And obviously the delineation of responsibility for Juniors etc would also have to be thought through.

emjaycee

Coach
In answer to this and your earlier question, the thing I suggested about a month ago was for the NRL to guarantee funding equal to the average net contribution of the Leagues Club over the past 3 years. This is nothing like the $8m being bandied about in the press, because the NRL Grant to Leagues Club is being treated as a revenue of the Leagues Club (as are gate receipts). It seems more in the order of $1.5-$2m. Then appoint some bloke like John Quayle in a chair role and call for tenders for a small mgmt team to run the operation, with the key guys having incentive compo built-in with respect to improvement onfield and off-field performance. At the end of X years, the PLC have the right to match the best offer for the NRL franchise.

The big problem with my plan is current player contracts, which are with the Parra NRL Club (presumably) and cannot be assigned without express agreement.

But in terms of funding.....yeh, the NRL up to a pre-determined limit. And obviously the delineation of responsibility for Juniors etc would also have to be thought through.

Barry, is your thinking that we should have our licence revoked by the NRL?
Have they done this to any other club before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts