What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Leagues Club board sacked, administrator appointed

Gronk

Staff member
I heard the Eagleston merkin on Triple M.

There is no way I will vote for him.

200.gif

Gronk

Staff member
Banker Bill Moss offers to help rebuild Parramatta

Former Macquarie Bank boss Bill Moss has spent a lifetime building businesses around the world. Now he wants to play a role in rebuilding Parramatta.

“My wife says I’m mad,” Moss told The Australian. “Why do I want to do it? The same reason I run a medical research foundation. The same reason I put all my money and time into finding a cure for a rare muscle disease.

“Why do I want to do it? When someone says it’s too hard, I think well it would be good if we could do it then. I think it is a great travesty and a great disgrace that the club I began following over 50 years ago is in such turmoil.

“There are a lot of good people out there who are fans and want to do something about the club. A lot of them talk about it and don’t do anything. A lot of them don't have contacts and business knowledge to know what to do. I think I’m in a unique position.

“I am getting people emailing me this morning from the business world saying can I be involved. I think that is positive.”

Moss has accepted an approach to act in an advisory capacity to Andrew Eagleston, the former club sponsor who is leading a group attempting to overthrow the Eels’ four existing board members. He has no desire to run the club or be involved in an administrative capacity. But he has made his services available should *Eagleston require them.

The offer isn’t for the short term. If Eagleston is successful in forcing an extraordinary general meeting and then throwing out the four existing directors, Moss’s offer to act as an adviser will go on.

His overriding motivation is simply to help the club as they deal with the outcome of the salary cap investigation that has prompted investigations by both the NSW Fraud Squad and the Office of Liquor and Gaming. “There will be an advisory board,” Moss said. “That board will contain a number of people who aren’t necessarily members of the club. People who would like to contribute in an honorary way to help the club.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...a/news-story/02893c1c5d6a306329e37031bd6e0b6b

Last edited:

Delboy

First Grade
Be careful about the Eagleston ticket, which looks like it will contain the ex footy players

Just heard Raaaay support him with a 5 minute spray , suggests that the emperor may have a hand in the ticket which is disastrous for a club trying to move forward.The idea of independent board members who are chosen for their expertise seems the best way to go, despite their good intentions, seems the ticket faction method should be dead and buried

Some of the names I have heard that are prepared to go before a review process seem substantially better than the ticket method . Their background should bring a more professional standard, and no doubt they don't want to stand in front of the usual slanging match we see in the ticket election method.

Personally will go,down this afternoon and deliver support to the that method of moving to a new board

Green River Eel

Juniors
This Eagleston ticket is very very bad news, the naive will go along with it, anybody who has done some research will see straight away that it would be exactly what we don't need, the worst type of factions coming back to the club, theres no doubt a secret plan going on here, thats why they are keeping the other candidates hush.
Isn't it funny, all the leaks and destabilisation and now this mob pop up with clear links to all the drama,
After all of the darkness we've been through if fans want these guys in we are doomed

This Eagleston ticket is very very bad news, the naive will go along with it, anybody who has done some research will see straight away that it would be exactly what we don't need, the worst type of factions coming back to the club, theres no doubt a secret plan going on here, thats why they are keeping the other candidates hush.
Isn't it funny, all the leaks and destabilisation and now this mob pop up with clear links to all the drama,
After all of the darkness we've been through if fans want these guys in we are doomed

sign here please

latest

ash411

Bench
Merkins like you who still apologise for one camp and write off every one else make me very suspicious.

You say this bloke doesn't las the sniff test but when anyone pointed out that Seward and sharp were dribbling idiots merkins like you called us three amigos?

You are an a grade hypocrite. You claim to be anti faction yet you've constantly bagged anyone who has tried to make a difference.

We should at least be listening to what blokes who have organised hundreds of signatures and proposing a board have to say without having merkins like you whiteanting them completely.

Then from the other side of the room we will get the brain dead chorus whiteanting independent board members because they don't have "passion" or some form of distorted nrl conspiracy theory - and next thing nothing will have changed.

We will be just like those stupid f**king Americans who keep getting shot in mass numbers and wondering why.

We will be getting why we deserve to some extent.

The biggest problem is, Eagleston isn't independent. He's part of one of the old factions. That should immediately disqualify him from running for the board.

If a fresh start is what we need, then that is exactly what we should have. Our board needs to be 1 of two things.

Either;
a) not have one single member that has been aligned with a previous faction (no one that has been on the board, or run for the board before)
or
b) and equal amount of members from ALL previous factions, chaired by a purely independent chairperson.

have just one faction in opens us to whiteanting, if there are none there, it's possible it could happen, but if they aren't against the old factions, it might work.

If every faction is equally represented, but none has full control, that may work, everyone gets a chance to get their opinion across, and the chair gets to decide on the best course of action, maybe that could work?

Probably not, but I can't think of any other way to put an end to this.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...of-five-to-break-silence-20160613-gphp0p.html

NRL: Parramatta Eels director Peter Serrao first of 'gang of five' to break silence

Date
June 13, 2016 - 8:00PM

Chris Barrett and Adrian Proszenko

Parramatta director Peter Serrao has become the first of the Eels' so-called 'gang of five' to break their silence, saying he is hopeful of clearing his name and claiming he was left in the dark about the club's rorting of NRL salary cap rules with third-party agreements.

Like the other four officials to receive show-cause notices on May 3 – chairman Steve Sharp, deputy chair Tom Issa, CEO John Boulous and football operations manager Daniel Anderson – Serrao is suspended from his post as a Parramatta football club board member until the NRL makes a final determination on the Eels' penalty, which is expected by the end of next week.

Having filed his response to the NRL by the original deadline – the other four accepted an extension that gave them until last Wednesday to make their submissions – Serrao is determined to clear his name.

"When I read the breach notice, there were a number of things I found quite disturbing," he said. "I didn't actually sit on the salary cap committee and I wasn't actually involved in any discussions with player agents or about TPAs.

"It appears not all of the information was provided to me, which would have assisted me and the board in making better decisions.

"As a director and as a board, I agree we could have done things much better."

While he has been lumped in with the others as a culprit for the Eels' cap breaches dating back to 2013, those with knowledge of the NRL's investigation have suggested from the outset that he was anything but a ringleader or architect.

The NRL's position on Serrao effectively amounted to claims that he had, by his presence at board meetings, knowledge of the moves to set up a TPA scheme that could make the club more competitive in the remuneration of players and that when he had suspicions about salary cap irregularities he had failed to report them to the NRL.

Serrao has argued that he did raise concerns with other officials at Parramatta but they weren't followed up.

"I've put my submission in and I'm sure I'll get a fair hearing from the NRL. I've got a different view from the NRL in terms of my breach notice," Serrao said.

"All the information I got was that we were under the salary cap from the salary cap committee. I believe not all of the information was provided to me. I have put my submission in and want to clear my name from my involvement in breaking NRL rules."

Meanwhile, with as many as four separate groups pushing for an emergency general meeting to disband the Parramatta Leagues Club board, Serrao is supporting a proposal fronted by Chris Losco, a season ticket-holder for more than 20 years, and is open to stepping down in the interests of reform.

In contrast to the plan for leadership change being led by local businessman Andrew Eagleston – which has the backing of former Macquarie Bank executive Bill Moss – Losco's group does not have an alternate board already hand-picked to step in, preferring a motion to have a nominations committee installed that would, with the assistance of an external recruitment firm, select from candidates based on a criteria of skills and experience.

Eagleston previously ran for election on a ticket aligned to Roy Spagnolo but has distanced his reform plan from the former chairman.

"As a current member of the PLC board, I see this as a great opportunity for reform. If the members want a fresh start and for me to move on, I will respect their wishes," Serrao said. "I support this process for an EGM. All I want to see is the factional hate at the club to end. The club can't improve without reform and people moving on, that's from both those in the club and those no longer involved with the club.

"I'm of the belief the members want this independent process. This nominations committee was actually part of the governance review [conducted after Parramatta were fined $465,000 last year for salary cap breaches] with PricewaterhouseCoopers and the NRL."

Board member Geoff Gerard is, along with Serrao, supportive of the Losco plan and under the proposal would be the only PLC director to be retained. However, after an entirely new board was selected by the committee Gerard would then stand aside as well.

"This nominations committee should be able to select the best candidates based on their skills, qualifications and experience," Serrao said. "I believe the members want a fresh start. I've been listening to the members and that's what they want, some change.

"Everyone who runs for the board has really good intentions but the election cycle and the tickets sometimes creates an unhealthy environment for the club. Hopefully this process is the circuit breaker the club needs for a fresh start."

phantom eel

First Grade
Interesting.

Serraro think he's get off from his penalty, but is also offering to step down once it's over.

Gerard is offering to remain so that a committee can be formed (with independent panel e.g. PWC) to select new (independent?) Directors to fill the vacancies, and then he will step down also.

Our club has agreed with the NRL that we would have independent directors from August. And it would seem that Gerrard (and Serraro) are doing what they need to do to make this happen... what about Garrard, Gadiel and the other one that's left?

This simply needs to happen - and Eagleston's silly EGM petition/motion is likely an agenda-driven push to snatch power for one of the warlords that we don't want near our club going forward.

emjaycee

Coach
I'm not prepared to back any new board members if they have and ties at all to previous elections or boards or factions.
I think we should vote on a Leagues club board and the NRL should take over the board of the NRL side for a period of 2 years and then hand it back to the leagues club when things are more stable.

1. Find a new Leagues Club Board that has a strong focus on the Leagues Club
2. Change the Constitution so that the PLC Board are not automatically wholly on the PNRL Board
3. Select some independent Board members for the PNRL, including 2 NRL recommended placements

The one thing we don't need to do is allow another faction to take control of the PLC in order to actually control the footy club with have no ability to direct the PLC itself. Whether this faction is selected by a motion for an EGM (aka the one that Eagleston guy wants) or by an election in 11 months, we need to stop selection based on factions and popularity or we will never get a quality PLC Board and subsequently a quality PNRL Board.

phantom eel

First Grade
A good strong PLC Board will make the PLC a continuing growing interest.
A good strong PNRL Board will spend the PLC's money wisely and will make enough on its own with good sponsorships and good results that it wont need to suck the PLC dry to do so.

Separate Boards is all we need.
Have been saying that since Roy and 3P first promised it back in late 2008. They didn't deliver on their promise despite two terms in charge.

I think Sharp's mob promised it as well in late 2012 (?), and they too didn't deliver in their two terms in charge

After eight years of shit it's now 2016, and with the NRL's governance review at the start of the year recommending the PNRL board have some independent members - and the NRL broadcast deal meaning NRL grants to the clubs will cover at least the salary cap cost of running an NRL side - surely we can move a little bit closer to finally separating the two Boards properly?

Sadly it looks like we'll need to NRL to do it for us, because of the factions.... we simply must keep Eagleston and his secret team away from PLC power.

phantom eel

First Grade
Who's we kemosabe?

That sort of hidden agenda factionalism is what makes us sick.

f**k off with your political shit and re- fighting lost elections past and certainly don't try to cloak is with your petty vindictive feuds.

Ps this was responding to the phantom bar not 84
:lol:

So what's your solution Bigfella, instead of simply sitting back and blasting about posts that tell things how they are?

3P = f**ked up. Sharp's mob = f**ked up. Eagleston's mob = more of the same. Calling for NRL independent directors on PLC Board, and a separation of teh two Boards (and reconfiguration of election timetabling, as per NRL governance review).

Where's the agenda in that? :crazy: And where's your solution?

phantom eel

First Grade
So when we go back to our "Punishment" from the NRL, we understand that $250,000 of the 1M fine is to be suspended if the club can make changes by August and appoint independent board members.

To be independent they would have to be appointed by the NRL, not the club, not Geoff Gerard, and not by some f**king committee. INDEPENDENT means the NRL appoints them. So this EGM farce is exactly that a farce.
My understanding was that the independent board members (from the off-season governance review) were to be recommended by the Club to the NRL for endorsement, rather than nominated by the NRL? Not sure where I read that though, or whether it's correct...

Just having a quick search, this article (http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-as-independent-director-20160506-goob15.html) from May quotes Peter Wynn as having been approached by Sharp - i.e. the Club - to be one of the independent directors, but declining the offer.

The same article also contains details re the NRL's recent condition of the fast tracking of independent appointments to August, and the $250K portion of the suspended $1mil fine:
"Parramatta officials had earlier this year agreed to stagger the appointment of three independent directors but the NRL has made it a condition of the penalties handed down on Tuesday that the changes take place by August or the Eels lose $250,000 of the $1 million fine that has been suspended if they accelerate the governance reforms.
The independent directors could not have any association with either Parramatta Football Club or the powerful Parramatta Leagues Club which controls the NRL team."

I agree with you the EGM initially seemed a bit of a farce... but I'm not sure the NRL get to nominate the new independent directors, and by my reading we need the Club (in some form, by some process) to recommend names to the NRL. If Gerard and Garrard and co as remaining Directors cannot get on the same page about a process for this, then perhaps the non-Eagleston EGM proposal is the only option?

emjaycee

Coach
Has anybody heard anymore about the names that Andrew Eagleston has on his petition? On the MMM on Sunday he said they would be coming out this week but I haven't heard anything as yet. In fact, Andrew himself has been quiet since Sunday - maybe his petition is running out of puff.

emjaycee

Coach
Hey Stagger, have you seen the petition from Andrew Eagleston yet?

Apart from Brendan Noney and Eagleston himself do you know who the others are that he has selected for his ticket? As I recall from his MMM interview last weekend, the others are all CEO's who were going to 'reveal' themselves during the week but no one I have spoken to has seen this petition with its 600 signatures or heard of any other named replacements.

The other petition is at least available to download and read so obviously not as guarded a secret about their plans.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hey Stagger, have you seen the petition from Andrew Eagleston yet?

Apart from Brendan Noney and Eagleston himself do you know who the others are that he has selected for his ticket? As I recall from his MMM interview last weekend, the others are all CEO's who were going to 'reveal' themselves during the week but no one I have spoken to has seen this petition with its 600 signatures or heard of any other named replacements.

The other petition is at least available to download and read so obviously not as guarded a secret about their plans.

None at all and as much as I've been scratching away for further info the less forthcoming the info is...

Chris Losco project is the only viable option at the moment