What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game day V Storm (round 15)

since77

Juniors
We also seem to be very slow to move up in defence. Teams can roll down he field way too easy, it's a trait that's been part of this side for a while. Anyone got any ideas as to why coaches seem to be ok with this?

Other coaches aren't ok with it. Ours seems to be.

Old Timer

Coach
Whether it's all coaching I'm not sure but we lack go forward which leaves the backs with no room to play.

We also seem to be very slow to move up in defence. Teams can roll down he field way too easy, it's a trait that's been part of this side for a while. Anyone got any ideas as to why coaches seem to be ok with this?

Our forward pack is smallish and against biggish packs we have to commit too many players to the tackle.

Good opposition sense this and send a few waves of attack to get us going backwards and then they open up the play when the gaps appear.

De Belin racks up a high tackle count by often being the last man in and chopping the legs out to get the ball carrier on the ground which is necessary but effectively we have 3 - 4 tacklers involved and if the attacker gets a quick play the ball bingo they make easy meters or we give up a penalty.

thebigredv

First Grade
One thing must be said. What has been very consistent this year has been effort. I don't think you could question any player's effort this year in any game. In what has been a pretty dour year, it's worth reflecting on this positive. I don't think the players look overly passionate or happy as a team (maybe this is coach related, maybe not), but each one of them is putting their body on the line and competing week in, week out.

getsmarty

Immortal
I thought that Sterlos comment on today's footy show summed it up pretty well.. Storm were missing Smith/Cronk/Slater/Green/Glasby/Munster. Sterlo said he walked away more impressed with the storm than the dragons based on those players missing. He also said that with the Dragons now in the top 8 , it showed the disparity between the top 4 teams and the rest.

thebigredv

First Grade
I thought that Sterlos comment on today's footy show summed it up pretty well.. Storm were missing Smith/Cronk/Slater/Green/Glasby/Munster. Sterlo said he walked away more impressed with the storm than the dragons based on those players missing. He also said that with the Dragons now in the top 8 , it showed the disparity between the top 4 teams and the rest.

Did he anything about Creagh, Dugan, Frizell and Masoe missing? Just saying.

stg666

Juniors
i am happy . we beat the scum , and they were not the only team with missing players. currently we are 5th in the 20s and improving dramatically
. we are 4th in the NSW Cup and in first grade we are 6th with parra out ,and a LOT of improvement to go as opposed to the top teams who are already there . we started with the hardest draw known to mankind and an awful lot of the draw favors us between now and round 26. in the next 5 weeks we play , the knights , the sea eagles , the bye's , the titans , the tigers . i have us winning all , even the bye game . then we have , dogs ? broncos at win , sharks at kogarah , and finish with roosters , eels and knights . i believe .

Old Timer

Coach
we were missing , FRIZZEL , DUGAN , CREAGH , MASOE . .uck the storm .

As per earlier posts Masoe never been on the paddock and Creah missing for 10 weeks hardly part of the current roster.

Melbournes missing players were part of the team last week and are the nucleus of the team week in week out so would be equally stupid for them to say Slater was missing.

By all means hate the Storm as much as you like but be objective in the present tense of who was available and who was missing.

As per earlier posts Masoe never been on the paddock and Creah missing for 10 weeks hardly part of the current roster.

Melbournes missing players were part of the team last week and are the nucleus of the team week in week out so would be equally stupid for them to say Slater was missing.

By all means hate the Storm as much as you like but be objective in the present tense of who was available and who was missing.

We were missing our 2 best players... And won.

Take off your purple tinted glasses and smile ffs

stg666

Juniors
i didnt at any point say that we had the equivalent type of player out . just pointing out to all the people who seem to think that the storm were the only team without star players , that that is not the case . the scums performance shows that they are a 2 man team at present . take smith and cronk out and they slip back with everyone else .

Old Timer

Coach
We were missing our 2 best players... And won.

Take off your purple tinted glasses and smile ffs

Who said I am not happy that we won.

Just can't accept all the arguments about who was missing and who was not.were.

If we had our 2 best in and they had full compliment who do you think it would have gone?

In the simplest of terms they had many more out than us and that is how footy is at certain parts of the year take the 2 points and move on.

Saint Angelo

Juniors
we were missing , FRIZZEL , DUGAN , CREAGH , MASOE . .uck the storm .

Exactly.

If you read the match reports in isolation you'd think that Melbourne were missing 13 players.

Slater hasn't played for ages yet they throw his name in to the mix of missing players.

Their forward pack was in tact and we dominated them.

Who said I am not happy that we won.

Just can't accept all the arguments about who was missing and who was not.were.

If we had our 2 best in and they had full compliment who do you think it would have gone?

In the simplest of terms they had many more out than us and that is how footy is at certain parts of the year take the 2 points and move on.

I think that chaos theory makes that hypothetical game impossible to predict. 3 of the top 5-10 players in the world were missing from Melbourne... But I couldn't care less. You can only play what's put in front of you and we got 2 competition points

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Even though The Storm appeared to be offside quite a bit at least with Smith missing on most occasions the ball went backward from dummy half ...and the penalty count was in our favour for a change....I guess that's because the golden boy wasn't there to put his customary pressure on the referees ....not pretty last nite but Ill take the win

God-King Dean

Immortal
But no problem including Masoe, & Creagh who haven't played on season

Good to see the acceptance of mediocrity has seeped into our fans

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Those who have played sport, of any kind, know that you can only beat what's put in front of you.
Roger Federer was beaten yesterday by a teenager. The Wallabies beaten by England on home soil etc

At the end of the day, when we look back at the record, it will register we won and received 2 competition points.

To argue that the Storm had X amount of players missing alludes to the fact that there replacements are not good enough for 1st grade. Maybe the Storm suffer from the same syndrome as we do, not enough promotion of young talent, so when needed they can't step up, too much reliance on the 'old guard".

Did we play well? In patches yes.
Did we fall into old habits (ie one out running)? Yes we did
Did the halves show some enterprise? Yes, not fluent or precise, but still more than usual.
etc etc etc.

I agree there is the top 4 teams and daylight to the rest. But, we are only 2 games behind the Cowboys on total points, that says something.

Our for and against is woeful, but if we bag 2 points and continue to climb the ladder, I personally don't give a rats what players play against us, a win is a win.
Am I satisfied with mediocracy, no definitely not, but with our current set up we cannot expect anything but.

thebigredv

First Grade
But no problem including Masoe, & Creagh who haven't played on season

Good to see the acceptance of mediocrity has seeped into our fans

I don't believe those players in particular will be match winners. Nor will Glasby or Green necessarily. I only mentioned it for some perspective to all those experts who love to laud Melbourne at the expense of struggling teams like us, at any given chance.

2011. We had the comp won until origin hit.

TruSaint

Referee
Those who have played sport, of any kind, know that you can only beat what's put in front of you.
Roger Federer was beaten yesterday by a teenager. The Wallabies beaten by England on home soil etc

At the end of the day, when we look back at the record, it will register we won and received 2 competition points.

To argue that the Storm had X amount of players missing alludes to the fact that there replacements are not good enough for 1st grade. Maybe the Storm suffer from the same syndrome as we do, not enough promotion of young talent, so when needed they can't step up, too much reliance on the 'old guard".

Did we play well? In patches yes.
Did we fall into old habits (ie one out running)? Yes we did
Did the halves show some enterprise? Yes, not fluent or precise, but still more than usual.
etc etc etc.

I agree there is the top 4 teams and daylight to the rest. But, we are only 2 games behind the Cowboys on total points, that says something.

Our for and against is woeful, but if we bag 2 points and continue to climb the ladder, I personally don't give a rats what players play against us, a win is a win.
Am I satisfied with mediocracy, no definitely not, but with our current set up we cannot expect anything but.

:clap:

Latest posts