What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sterlo Interviews

DiegoNT

First Grade
Seriously no one comes close to Sterlo when it comes to interviewing rugby league identities (or maybe he is the best interviewer on australian tv at the moment). The way he can get guys to open up and be honest about themselves, the way he can ask the hard questions while not coming across as a prick (paul kent's style) which leads to his interview subject feeling comfortable enough to talk about the hard subjects in their life. Never would of thought an interview of Wendell Sailor would have me close to tears.

nrlnrl

First Grade
There are a couple of guidelines he follows, keep the questions short & listen to the answers. The 2nd one might seem stupid, but a large percentage of interviewers miss gems that are revealed in answers & could be enhanced with a relevant follow up. They are so set with their questions they don't listen & adapt.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The people he interviews trust Sterlo, they feel more comfortable than any other person. Not only because he's played the game, but he's also a man who speaks well asks the good, sometimes tough questions, and allows them to speak and listens to them.

I like watching Sterlo on the coach for that segment.

There's not enough of this in RL and I don't know why. There are so many great players out there that all have a story to tell and nobody really gets in depth with them. This is fantastic and there should be more of it. Great stuff, Sterlo.

DiegoNT

First Grade
The funny thing is that sterlo's interviews came on the back of the success of his Danny Wicks interview at the start of the year. I remember there was some fuss kicked up because Kent wanted that interview and didn't feel that sterlo would ask the hard questions. Well in a sense that's true, sterlo doesn't flat out ask the hard questions, but what he does on a regularly basis is allow his interviewees to come out with some hard truths about themselves in a way that no other league journalist could possibly hope to replicate

gallagher

Juniors
His interviews are great but the rest of he show is crap. Anasta, Hodges and Hooper on tonite. I had to turn off.
Can't they find some better talent?

Rhyno

First Grade
Former Eels players are always the best tv personalities Sterlo, Hindmarsh, Grothe etc

Incorrect

Coach
His interviews are great but the rest of he show is crap. Anasta, Hodges and Hooper on tonite. I had to turn off.
Can't they find some better talent?

I didn't see it last night... but I don't mind Anasta to be honest, although I think he suffers from just trotting out some cliche'd ideas at times.

James Hooper - he is the pits. For the life of me I don't know why Sterlo has him on his panel. Hooper is everything Sterlo isn't (on the surface at least) - agenda driven and sensationalist. It's probably a News Ltd appointment Sterlo has no say in....

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
In all my years of folowing NRL and sort more generally, the only interview i have ever found interesting was the Gus-Joey back in 07 when Johns was caught with drugs. (and that was because it wasnt about sport)...

I love RL, but players get to where they are because they are the best people in the country at simulating car crashes with their face and body. They arent here because of their wonderful insight, and that really shows.

In all my years of folowing NRL and sort more generally, the only interview i have ever found interesting was the Gus-Joey back in 07 when Johns was caught with drugs. (and that was because it wasnt about sport)...

I love RL, but players get to where they are because they are the best people in the country at simulating car crashes with their face and body. They arent here because of their wonderful insight, and that really shows.

100% correct there.

Off topic but Mascord wrote a good bit about the modern RL player today.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...nary-rugby-league-player-20160623-gpqnxt.html

I have like 10 Sterlo episodes recorded on my sky planner. I think I might just fast-forward through Corey Parker/James Hooper to the interviews on all of the episodes, watch and delete.

aads

Juniors
f**king HOOOPS ruins this show for me - i just don't know why they buy into the hype

aads

Juniors
Gee the interview with Brandy Alexander was GREAT

...sure beats the manufactured heartstrings segments on the Footy Show