What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have you ever switched support to another team?

Grapple

Bench
I imagine on this forum the majority would be loyal but i'm interested to hear from both those that have and reasons behind it, and those that would never dream doing so.

Players sign with other teams all the time, what makes fans any different? Does it REALLY mean anything, or is it seen like cheating on your partner? (but it's okay if you occasionally look/flirt with other women) Is it the history of the club, birthplace or family that makes you stay?

I originally supported North Sydney when I grew up, had the jersey and everything. I have no idea why, but it may have had to do with the fact everyone else in my neighbourhood supported Canberra or Brisbane in the nineties.

Discuss.

TheFrog

Coach
Back when I was a kid, my best mate and I made a pact to support Newtown, who were running last at the time. It lasted until I went to a game against the Panthers and could not in my heart support the Jets against them. Newtown were my second team when they made the prelim in 1973, and the GF in 1981, outplaying the mighty Parra backline for nearly 70 minutes before getting overrun.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Was a Western Reds fan for all of 4 weeks.
There was huge fan fare when they hit Perth in 1995. All the kids at the local league team had reds gear. Our parents mainly kept their old teams but they pushed us kids to support our hometown team. Had all the Reds gear. Remember kids at school asking me about the team and the game in general. Went to a packed WACA for the first game against dragons and their was a great atmosphere. Then a few weeks later super league hit. All the kids binned the reds gear. Most went to supporting their parents teams or the big guns at the time (manly and raiders). I picked Souths because my father was from la perouse. People stopped going to reds game. When they did go they usually went to support the out of town team. All this happened before my 7th birthday but can remember it quite Clearly. Have supported souths through the ups and downs (mostly downs) ever since and even when they weren't in the comp i wouldnt support another team.

POPEYE

Coach
Only team I don't support is the Dogs . . . the rest have my undivided attention

Pedge1971

First Grade
The minute the Knights came in I changed to my home town team. Was a Sharks supporter b4 that.

#glutton4punishment

DeeJ

Bench
When I was a kid, for some reason I decided to support the Bulldogs in 1995. I think because kids love to be on a winning side and I got caught up in the hype of Terry Lamb retiring as a champion. I used to draw their logo all over my school stuff.

It didn't take long to switch back, but I think I favoured Manly in 1996 though for similar reasons.

thorson1987

Coach
Was a bears fan growing up.

Was devestated when they merged with manly.

Didn't really follow that abortion but went to watch some games to watch the bears players going around.

Had Melbourne as my 2nd team due to being born there so when the Bears were completely gone after the merger started supporting Melbourne and haven't looked back.

If by some chance the Bears came back I would have them as my 2nd team.

thorson1987

Coach
Was a Western Reds fan for all of 4 weeks.
There was huge fan fare when they hit Perth in 1995. All the kids at the local league team had reds gear. Our parents mainly kept their old teams but they pushed us kids to support our hometown team. Had all the Reds gear. Remember kids at school asking me about the team and the game in general. Went to a packed WACA for the first game against dragons and their was a great atmosphere. Then a few weeks later super league hit. All the kids binned the reds gear. Most went to supporting their parents teams or the big guns at the time (manly and raiders). I picked Souths because my father was from la perouse. People stopped going to reds game. When they did go they usually went to support the out of town team. All this happened before my 7th birthday but can remember it quite Clearly. Have supported souths through the ups and downs (mostly downs) ever since and even when they weren't in the comp i wouldnt support another team.

Remember opening my Reds jersey the morning of my 8th birthday (95)

Loved the thing.

macavity

Referee
Supported the Bulldogs as a kid as they were my dad's team... Mum supported Manly.

Whole family switched to the Knights when we came in in 1988.

some11

Referee
aka have you done an alien.

No, and I don't understand how people can full-on support overseas teams with no affiliation to them whatsoever.

Apey

Staff member
Not yet but I'm about to become a Sharks supporter.

UP! UP! Cronulla!

Bronxnation

Juniors
What about if you had to support another team? For example your team was just pulled out theoretically. No merge. What team would you switch to?

Grapple

Bench
aka have you done an alien.

No, and I don't understand how people can full-on support overseas teams with no affiliation to them whatsoever.

It certainly doesn't make sense, but it doesn't have to make sense. People in West Africa support Chelsea and Real Madrid - i've seen it first hand. There is a quality of entertainment that draws people into the game, has nothing to do with locality. What good is affiliation when players (not to mention whole communities) leave to find better pay/life anyway?

Maybe the better question is, "Is club loyalty dead?".