What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sowie gone

Big Mick

Referee
Best of luck to Sowie. Did a job for us in the time he was here but our future is TMM/Cleary. Wish him the best in ESL and smashing it there.

BxTom

Bench
Regarding reports on JAMIE SOWARD. Nothing confirmed as yet. I have a pre-arranged meeting with his manager tomorrow to discuss his future.

From Gus Gould's twitter about an hour ago.

Tom.

maple_69

Bench
There we have it folks. The kiss of death from Gus. Best of luck Jamie, you brought us a lot of fun times in 14 and were a great leader at the club.

He is 5th on the depth chart regardless of where you think he should be. Cleary, Moylan, Martin and Cartwright are all more important long term.

I figured this would happen when he was dropped and while i think he has plenty to offer the club and the NRL still, you need to take risks to win premierships. Having 700k tied up in a depth half who has no future is not how you win premierships. Maybe we'll regret it but i think it's the right call.

SweetandSoward

Juniors
His going to St Helens

It's funny how he is ending up with Luke Walsh

Isn't hard going to the Super League
Just in terms of packing up everything and going to live in England, he has a girlfriend here and family here too.
Who knows he might be there for the rest of the year and return to NRL next year.

Or he might gain england citizenship and play for england. reunite with the wayne

Copperhead

Juniors
We've had a busy mid-season turnover of players.

Out....Soward, Taylor, Segeyaro, Smith, Garcia, Naden and Clune. Sopoaga soon to follow.

In......Grevsmuhl and Hardaker.

mxlegend99

Referee
Hopefully we are getting a trade for him too. Makes no sense to release a player of his experience and quality (when on) mid-season and have everything resting on an 18 year old halfback and a second rower in the halves.

Moylan to halves is a possibility (depending on where Hardaker plays). TMM will return from injury soon. But not one of these guys is an experienced NRL half. You couldn't move Wallace either as he's our only real hooking option now.

Unless we're writing this season off. But comsidering we are in the top 8 and have a good squad available it's unlikely.

Hopefully we are getting a trade for him too. Makes no sense to release a player of his experience and quality (when on) mid-season and have everything resting on an 18 year old halfback and a second rower in the halves.

Moylan to halves is a possibility (depending on where Hardaker plays). TMM will return from injury soon. But not one of these guys is an experienced NRL half. You couldn't move Wallace either as he's our only real hooking option now.

Unless we're writing this season off. But comsidering we are in the top 8 and have a good squad available it's unlikely.

the risk is they don't release him now & then can't offload him this summer.

I think they've taken the gamble to shed the contract while they can.

There are still options in the halves.

TMM back in 3 weeks

Moylan to halves

ZDC has been playing in the halves in RG

Wallace to 7 with Katoa to debut

Today is the transfer deadline so we'll know pretty soon if they have a player swap or someone else coming in.

Last edited:

chrisD

Coach
Would have been nice to keep on as injury back up but if a SL club comes knocking cash in hand for a player not in your top 17 then that's that. No team has a half the quality of Soward as an injury fallback, it would have been a strange anomaly.

Hopefully he goes and wins a title over there.

Kilkenny

Coach
Given his exit has been carefully stage managed by the club he will benefit financially which will no doubt include being paid in full for 2016 and perhaps an added bonus of some of his 2017 contract. His leaving will free up some additional funds for next season although unlikely to be full value of his 2017 contract.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
Did well in 2014, we are nearing 2017 now.

I've run at the beer line more at the ground than he has on the field. Great kicking game once or twice this year, otherwise a solid for giving up at least 12 points through his defence.

Hated him before he arrived, loved him once he arrived and played well. Has been about 10th in terms of effective halfs in the NRL for 2 years.

Cleary/TMM/Moylan/Carty are all ready to fire, whatever positions they may be in, they are the future, teach them well and let them lead the way.

mxlegend99

Referee
Yep his 2014 season was epic. He looked to start 2015 off in similar form... but we managed his back injury horribly and he hasn't been the same since. A few times he has taken the line on he has copped late and/or high shots that f**ked him up.

I was hoping we would use him to help develop young halves as he has a great footy brain and could control a game entirely with his boot when he was on. This had better not mean we sign Benji. Hopefully Dragons keep him having missed out on Keary.

Munky

Coach
The not having back surgery after the 2014 season was a massive blunder.

I'd love to know who made that decision.

betcats

Referee
the risk is they don't release him now & then can't offload him this summer.

I think they've taken the gamble to shed the contract while they can.

There are still options in the halves.

TMM back in 3 weeks

Moylan to halves

ZDC has been playing in the halves in RG

Wallace to 7 with Katoa to debut

Today is the transfer deadline so we'll know pretty soon if they have a player swap or someone else coming in.

Katoa debuted last year but yes there are some options available but there are question marks over them.