What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Bench
How many times have you seen a team getting flogged and the captain has the whole team in the in goal geeing them up, Widdop is the captain and also shares the blame for tonight's game, he should be dropped or stripped of the captaincy, the players need to be put on notice, Mary should go but I doubt that will happen, it's going to be a tuff few years ahead if the club doesn't bite the bullet and sack Mary, ok it's gonna cost money but how much will it cost to the club if he stays

thebigredv

First Grade
That was so far the lowest point of 40+ years of support for my beloved Dragons. Equal to some of the worst games under Steve Price.

No structure, no organisation, no discipline, no creativity - no leadership! ...no idea!!

It could be the most cringeworthy game I've seen from this club.

I agree with other comments made that the coaching staff really don't seem to be able to prepare the team mentally for what was a relatively straight foward, but MUST win game. Manly did not have form and actually weren't great opposition. But we were THAT BAD. Except for our first set of six, we were not at all even slightly competitive.

But what really disgusted me, there was no will. At the 50th - ish minute, we dropped the ball and waiting to pack the scrum, all what the body language of our players said was - they already wanted the game to be over.

We've ALWAYS held our heads high and had a dig. But not this time.

I don't know about sacking the coach mid-season. I am proud we are not that sort of club. It's a silly idea.

The search for something better - should be ongoing.

In the meantime, Paul McGregor needs support, not condemnation.

Especially from us.

You sound like you are referring to the one game. The game was always going to be a litmus test for what sort of team we actually have and the results are very conclusive (and hardly surprising). We played like we did in the QLD games only 5 times worse. A lot of us saw it coming.

What happens now is supporters on here turn on each other because we are so powerless to effect the change we want to see in the coach/team/club. I will however politely like to refute your idea that sacking is a silly idea. Employing an interim coach (and purely an interim coach) will stop the rot of Mary and show the fans and NRL community we are serious about changing and improving. We can continue to compete and most likely lose with the knowledge that we are heading in a better direction until the right coach is found. Even if we have to end up like the Knights I don't care because I don't see us paving a future of success right now in anyway.

The Pittsburg Penguins and Cleveland Caveliers both sacked their coach mid year and won their competitions the same year in 2016. Not saying there is a great coaching on offer right now but just saying it's not the worst thing we can do as a club.

Dragon66

Juniors
I gave up on Mary some weeks ago, but hoped that despite some ordinary displays hoped that we might find a way to keep winning.

The fact that he continues to put out nearly the same side week after week and they show no real inprovement should be enough to see him make some positional changes.

Keeping Rein, Benji, Widdop and Dugan in their current positions where they are all a major part of the problem, and expecting a different result is been truly delusional.

The Cutters are going well, and several of the players are showing excellent form, but nothing changes.

Try Benji at 5/8, move Widdop to fullback, or right out of the team, Lafai has to go, find a spot for Milne. Ahmau is useless, on form Wakeman deserves a run, Rein has to play, but split the game time with Havilli may help, not 10 minutes at the end of the game. Marketo provides nothing, blood Sele, he's good enough. Dugan is useless as an attacking fullback, but not sure we can do without his defence at the back seeing we can only score so few points. We cannot make the eight on this year's form, and even if we limped into eighth place we would be only making up the numbers. Time to make some changes, and take some chances.

And yes, Mary has to go.

grouch

First Grade
A team on the verge of a club record losing streak just flogged us by 30.

Sack this imposter asap.

blacksafake

First Grade
The board will do a coaching review & then go ahead & employ another internal rookie(without looking outside) because he knows the structures:crazy:

I will however politely like to refute your idea that sacking is a silly idea. Employing an interim coach (and purely an interim coach) will stop the rot of Mary and show the fans and NRL community we are serious about changing and improving. We can continue to compete and most likely lose with the knowledge that we are heading in a better direction until the right coach is found. Even if we have to end up like the Knights I don't care because I don't see us paving a future of success right now in anyway.

...well, it's a bit Australian politics.:shock: Don't get the results - sack! Feel better that you've been swift and decisive in actioning the problem.

And if the next person doesn't get the results - sack them too?

The cycle of sacking leaders o demonstrate a desire to effect change must be tempered with honouring a commitment you made to them in the position. Whether it is serving your full term as PM or seeing out the length of the coaching contract both parties agreed to.

If you keep sacking leaders - then what do you contend with? Instability and disdain.

Like I said, the search for something better must be on going. Maybe there are critical signings contingent upon stability to get them over the line.

Long term, stability wins every time

thebigredv

First Grade
Sorry guys. Yes you can criticise some of the players for things that have gone on, especially in tonight's game but I think it is quite evident this is the coach's mess. They can't execute, they don't want to execute or they have no confidence in the game plan of McGregor. The buck stops with him. I guarantee you with a less stubborn coach we'd have more success in attack.

thebigredv

First Grade
...well, it's a bit Australian politics.:shock: Don't get the results - sack! Feel better that you've been swift and decisive in actioning the problem.

The cycle of sacking leaders o demonstrate a desire to effect change must be tempered with honouring a commitment you made to them in the position. Whether it is serving your full term as PM or seeing out the length of the coaching contract both parties agreed to.

If you keep sacking leaders - then what do you contend with? Instability and disdain.

Like I said, the search for something better must be on going. Maybe there are critical signings contingent upon stability to get them over the line.

Mate, I get what you are saying. But I would sleep better knowing Mary has been axed tonight. Maybe it comes down to me being hot headed.

The fact is that he has had his time. I don't mean to rush into hiring Toovey, Cleary or the like just because they are there but I see leaving Mary in charge as untenable for the good of our future. Should this goes on, not only will players continue to steer clear of our club but the good players will leave in droves.

Honestly Dugan for Captain-Coach is a better option than Mary right now.

blacksafake

First Grade
For what it's worth i have sent an email to Doust venting my disgust at the last 4 yrs. Especially with his & the coaching performances & lack of leadership. If everyone on this forum did the same there would be a meltdown on their server & just maybe the penny might drop.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Mate, I get what you are saying. But I would sleep better knowing Mary has been axed tonight. Maybe it comes down to me being hot headed.

The fact is that he has had his time. I don't mean to rush into hiring Toovey, Cleary or the like just because they are there but I see leaving Mary in charge as untenable for the good of our future. Should this goes on, not only will players continue to steer clear of our club but the good players will leave in droves.

Honestly Dugan for Captain-Coach is a better option than Mary right now.
I like the sound of Dugan as captain coach, because as bad as our current coach is, our captain is just as useless, both as a captain and a player.. Duges at least always tries hard and displays some passion. Widdop looks like he's half asleep most of the game.

thebigredv

First Grade
I like the sound of Dugan as captain coach, because as bad as our current coach is, our captain is just as useless, both as a captain and a player.. Duges at least always tries hard and displays some passion. Widdop looks like he's half asleep most of the game.

I can see the banner now:

DUGES FOR CAPTAIN COACH

Get that up ya Mary.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Widdop thinks he is Richard Gere in 'An officer and a gentlemen.' Wish he'd walk into Mary's office and carry him out ala Gere/Winger. Glad to see the back of them both. Cue the music.

Very funny.

Straight Shooter

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors

The team has stability. How many players have been used in first grade this year? It's pretty much tonight's 17 plus one or two others. The club has stability. Doust, millward, young, macgregor, they've all been their for donkeys years. How is stability going to help? If there aren't changes, if there aren't consequences for sub par performances, if there aren't improvements made, we will just repeat the same old shite for the same piss poor results, followed by a press conference with the same old excuses.

Your stability = inertia, and is no way to take the club forward.

Last edited:

RedVDave

First Grade
Yep he's time is up but nothing will happen nothing ever happens to long this rubbish has been dished up and yet he still has a job. Another week we sit through it hoping something happens but it won't sad but true.

-We have not won more than 3 games in a row all year.
-We have not won by 13+ points all year.
-We have been held tryless 3 times this year.
-We have scored the least amount of points of any other team.
-We have won 1 away game all season.

Yet Mary still has a job despite such crud dished up.

RED73V

Juniors
I was excited at the beginning of the year hoping for a better season thinking big Mose was going to be fit & firing with the rest of our pack so our backs would get plenty of room to move. I purchased my six game flexi pass without any apprehension for what was in store for the team I have followed for over 35 years . I can HONESTLY say prior to this season I have always looked forward to watching (at home) or listening to the dragons games when I'm at work. By about round 8 I had already come to the conclusion we were shot for the year !!! WE CANT SCORE POINTS & ESPECIALLY IN THE SECOND HALVES of games . It's gut wrenching watching such a boring team & the one I PASSIONATELY FOLLOW. It's come to the point of me feeling indifferent with my beloved DRAGONS. Tonight I didn't even listen to the game knowing I would be disappointed at the rubble we have become & are dishing out every week. Save Our Saints PLEASE

dragon thomo

Juniors
I was at the club with my mates watching the game with some dragon supporters like myself. Honestly it is well past stage when l dont look forward at watching my team play, they dont move up to tackle and let the other teams run over the top of them and mcgregor thinks our defence is good, with the ball they are not deep and just plod up with it one out, Reins passing from dummy half is terrible slow and wayward, Marshall just about cuts our players in half with passes when he needs soft hands and the rest of his game is terrible, Widdop just stands there with his hands on his hip not saying a word when the team needs a rev up he is not a captain also his game has dropped to level he should not even get a run with the cutters.Dugans form has also dropped along with his speed although he tries to hard to make up for the other play makers terrible form, I do feel sorry for him.There kicking game is the worst of any first grade side i have ever seen.
Mcgregor has to take the credit for all of this and he needs replacing NOW.

Latest posts