What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When is the draw,venues etc announced?

morningstar

Juniors
An announcement about an announcement? Will be like Christmas morning next Tuesday though!

http://m.nrl.com/rugby-league-world-cup-draw-to-be-announced/tabid/10874/newsid/99035/default.aspx

Rugby League World Cup CEO Michael Brown has confirmed the official tournament draw will be announced on Tuesday 19th July, 2016.

"The RLWC2017 will see 14 teams play 28 games over five weeks, all hoping to be crowned world champions in what is the pinnacle event in international rugby league," Brown said.

"On Tuesday July 19th, the organising committee will unveil the RLWC2017 tournament draw for the event to be co-hosted by Australia and New Zealand in late 2017."

jim_57

Staff member
Really looking forward to this, hope it's the full draw with venues & pools. Will be good to start planning a RL event more than 12 months in advance.

morningstar

Juniors
Apparently there will be a joint press conference next week in Brisbane and Auckland...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

The tournament, taking place in Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea, is expected to kick off in Melbourne on October 27 and culminate in the final in Brisbane on December 2, by which time Super League clubs are normally back in pre-season training.

The draw for the 2017 tournament will be made simultaneously at events in Brisbane and Auckland on July 19.

RLWC2017 chief executive Michael Brown and chairman George Peponis will be joined by coaches Mal Meninga, Stephen Kearney and Michael Marum and captains Cameron Smith, Jesse Bromwich and David Mead at the Australia launch at Suncorp Stadium.

moffla

Bench
Stoked with the opener here in Melbourne. Keen to get to PNG too - it's an excuse to travel

morningstar

Juniors
RLWC establishes travel office...

http://www.asiapacificrl.com/2016/07/15/rlwc-establishes-official-travel-office/

The Rugby League World Cup 2017 today announced Mummu Sport as the Official Travel Office for the tournament which will be staged in Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea from 27 October to 2 December 2017.

RLWC2017 Chief Executive Officer, Michael Brown, said the appointment of Mummu Sport marked an important milestone in the global promotion and delivery of the RLWC2017.

“To have the Rugby League World Cup 2017 contested in three countries provides an exciting dimension to the tournament and we look forward to working with Mummu Sport on delivering a fan experience beyond expectation.”

An extensive range of international and local packages will feature competitive airfare and accommodation deals, and include other exciting event elements such as VIP experiences, official merchandise, functions and hospitality events.

Travel packages will be available from next Tuesday 19th July via www.rlwc2017.com/travel

morningstar

Juniors
Courier Mail have gone off early...

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...l/news-story/3bdb574ed9a841f15dc8361bfe90765f

BRISBANE will host the 2017 Rugby League World Cup final and one of the two semi-finals.
On the day after Western Australia announced its 2019 State of Origin match coup, The Courier-Mail can reveal Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium will stage the December 2, 2017 final.

It is the second successive Rugby League World Cup final available to Australia to be held in the stadium, and the State Government believes it shows it does want to be a serious player in the major sports event market.

The State Government and Tourism and Events Queensland will also soon escalate talks for Brisbane to host the 2019 NRL grand final while Sydney’s ANZ Stadium is redeveloped.

Cairns and Townsville will host three World Cup pool matches each, including a double-header each, when the tournament starts in October, 2017.

The State Government and TEQ see greater tourism value in paying to host events such as the 2019 NRL grand final and the 2017 World Cup, which will bring many thousands of supporters of England and Wales to Australia.

Suncorp Stadium’s 52,500 capacity means these matches offer more benefit to the Queensland hotel and entertainment industries than an Origin match dominated by ticket buyers who live in the southeast.

Tourism and Major Events Minister Kate Jones said Queensland had scored the major games of the World Cup, reinforcing the State’s standing as the home of rugby league.

It is not known ahead of Tuesday’s official draw in Brisbane whether the city’s semi-final at Suncorp Stadium, which has a capacity crowd for the 2008 World Cup final, will be scheduled to involve Australia or not.

“This is a major coup for the state and will focus the attention of millions of rugby league fans on Queensland,” Jones said.

The games at Suncorp are expected to sell out attracting tens of thousands of interstate and international visitors and generate up to 120,000 visitor nights for Queensland.

“The World Cup’s biggest games (will) drive visitation, supports jobs and fosters pride in our state.”

Townsville’s 1300 Smiles Stadium will host a pool-stage clash between Fiji and the United States, and a double header pitting a European qualifying team against the US, and Fiji against a European qualifier.

Cairns will host a double-header including an all-European match and a Scotland-Tonga match, plus a stand-alone Samoa-Scotland encounter.

Last edited:

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Surely there not hosting 3 games in Cairns and 3 in Townsville? Surely thats not right and imo its a major problem if it is. Also doesn't make sense for Suncorp to host the final and a semi final

donny donny

Juniors
Based on that info I think the groups will follow the same format as before and be something like the following;

Group A

Australia/New Zealand
England
France
Lebanon/Papua New Guinea

Group B

New Zealand/Australia
Scotland
Tonga
Samoa

Group C

European Qualifier 1 (Probably Group A Winner)
European Qualifier 2 (Probably Group B Winner)
Papua New Guinea/Lebanon

Group D

Fiji
European Qualifier 3 (Probably the playoff match winner)
USA

Cross-over games

Fiji v Euro Qualifier 2
Euro Qualifier 1 v Euro Qualifier 3
USA v Papua New Guinea/Lebanon

I did think PNG would host a group of 3 but can't see how that would work with these announced fixtures unless Lebanon are fed to the bigger teams.

I could be way off the mark but thats my guess.

I don't like one semi being played at the same ground as the final. Gives one finalist an advantage plus lessens the specialness of the final.

Last edited:

Burns

First Grade
Double headers in the Pool Stages? In Cairns and Townsville?

Sounds absolutely terrible.

paulmac

Juniors
Based on that info I think the groups will follow the same format as before and be something like the following;

Group A

Australia/New Zealand
England
France
Lebanon/Papua New Guinea

Group B

New Zealand/Australia
Scotland
Tonga
Samoa

Group C

European Qualifier 1 (Probably Group A Winner)
European Qualifier 2 (Probably Group B Winner)
Papua New Guinea/Lebanon

Group D

Fiji
European Qualifier 3 (Probably the playoff match winner)
USA

Cross-over games

Fiji v Euro Qualifier 2
Euro Qualifier 1 v Euro Qualifier 3
USA v Papua New Guinea/Lebanon

I did think PNG would host a group of 3 but can't see how that would work with these announced fixtures unless Lebanon are fed to the bigger teams.

I could be way off the mark but thats my guess.

I don't like one semi being played at the same ground as the final. Gives one finalist an advantage plus lessens the specialness of the final.
As a Scotland fan it works out well for me,will be able to watch 3 games in Cairns before heading to PNG to catch one of the Kumuls games.

morningstar

Juniors
Those groups look about right Donny Donny, but hope the courier mail article has some errors in it

Why on earth are they splitting group B between NZ and North Queensland?
The travel and climate difference will be harsh on Scotland and it looks like there will only be 4 group games in NZ:

Kiwis v Samoa - NZ
Scotland v Tonga - Cairns
Kiwis v Tonga - NZ
Scotland v Samoa - Cairns
NZ v Scotland - NZ
Samoa v Tonga - NZ

morningstar

Juniors
More details in the tele...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...y/news-story/3debacd2ce1ac74cf4957aeb90049fa5

THE home and heartland of rugby league has been handed a gigantic snub for next year’s World Cup.

Sydney has been allocated just two pool games — both featuring international minnows Lebanon.

One is against England and the other against the Kangaroos — both at Allianz Stadium
. We get nothing else.

This comes on top of the NRL’s decision to take State of Origin to Perth in 2019 to leave Sydney with only one Origin game.

For the World Cup, Sydney has been rejected for quarter-finals, semis and the final which will be played at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane. Unbelievably, a quarter-final has been allocated to Darwin ahead of Sydney.

Brisbane not only gets the final but also a semi-final and a pool game.

Tournament organisers are blaming the state government and Destination NSW for the fact Sydney has missed out on major games. Destination NSW spends $175 million bringing content into NSW but was not prepared to pay anything for World Cup games.

“It’s disappointing we don’t have more content in NSW but we still think this is going to be a massive event,” said tournament director Michael Brown.

“We’re excited the tournament is spread across Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea.

“We’ll reach new audiences outside of the eastern seaboard and we had to make commercial decisions.

“It will be a great tournament and I think it will be even bigger than the Asian Cup.”

While the state government refused to bid for games, Queensland has spent more than $3 million to ensure it gets premium content at Suncorp Stadium.

Even the Northern Territory government paid for their quarter-final while NSW refused to.

Games will be played in 12 cities — Perth, Darwin, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra, Townsville, Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch and Port Moresby.

Only Adelaide and Hobart miss out on hosting games in Australia.

Melbourne will host the opening game of the tournament — Mal Meninga’s Australians against Wayne Bennett’s England side in a blockbuster at Etihad Stadium on the first weekend of November.

The full World Cup schedule will be revealed on Tuesday.

Last edited:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Well there goes my world cup plans.

Horrible stadium/game selection in sydney, i highly doubt either game will het more than 10k.

Newcastle, central coast and the gong also miss out. I have maintained from the start this should have been the australian or new zealand world cup not an effort across 3 countries

TIM !!!!!!

Juniors
UNBELIEVABLE

Quarter Final in Darwin!

The other quarter finals are probably in Alice Springs, Broome and Coober Pedy.

Burns

First Grade
Awful. How Newcastle doesn't get a game is beyond me. Darwin is completely amateur. Lebanon v England and Australia at Allianz will struggle to draw any crowd.

I'm not even sure I'll be able to see a game now. Travelling to Sydney to see those two fixtures isn't exciting.

Last Week

Bench
I'm from Sydney and it's disappointing that we've been pretty much snubbed.

However, if we wanted matches here so badly, we need more people to turn up to then. Australia vs Fiji semi in 08 was a poor turn out. I was there. Australia vs PNG at Parra in 2010 was also poor.

If we want more test matches in Sydney, we need more people attending them when they're on. I dare say that 08 semi put organisers off and 2010 was the final straw. Sydney only gets the occasional game against NZ.

Also, it's clear from the article that the NSW government didn't bid. Why on earth should the RLIF give a quarter final to Sydney for free when f**king Darwin is offering money to host it?! f**king Darwin!! I doubt they paid much for it either. It's not like they have the money that the NSW government do.

hutch

First Grade
Awful. How Newcastle doesn't get a game is beyond me. Darwin is completely amateur. Lebanon v England and Australia at Allianz will struggle to draw any crowd.

I'm not even sure I'll be able to see a game now. Travelling to Sydney to see those two fixtures isn't exciting.
There will be 20000 Lebanese at both games. They will probably outnumber the Australian supporters.

Latest posts