What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Leagues Club board sacked, administrator appointed

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s/news-story/5d380e660833b3fe543ebf55dfd5e52b

Parramatta’s decision on appeal may be taken out of their hands
Parramatta directors have until today to apply for leave to appeal their sanctions from the NRL but the decision may be taken out of their hands after board member Geoff Gerard yesterday joined chairman Steve Sharp in publicly endorsing plans to put the club in the hands of an administrator.

The Eels voted on Friday night to seek leave to appeal their sanctions for salary cap breaches but that stance was thrown into turmoil over the weekend as NSW Deputy Premier Troy Grant announced he was ready to sack members of the leagues club board and install an administrator.

The decision comes at a critical time in the club’s fight against the NRL. While the government would move against the leagues club board, the football club is run by the same group of directors.

The leagues club has also been responsible for financing the football club and its legal fees. An administrator is unlikely to support an appeal given it would mean outlaying more money on lawyers, even though the club has received advice that suggests they may be able to mitigate any costs by having their sanctions reduced.

It is understood the club has received legal advice that suggests they may be able to reduce their fine — it was $1 million after the NRL included the $250,000 which was initially suspended.

It is believed the club has also received legal advice that the decision to strip the club of its points differential for the opening nine games of the season may have been beyond the bounds of the NRL. It is believed the legal bill would be less than $100,000, an investment that could pay off if the club were to have the fine reduced on appeal.

Regardless, it now appears the decision to seek leave to appeal may be taken out of the board’s hands as Grant awaits advice from the Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority.

Gerard, one of four directors who was not breached by the NRL, joined Sharp in calling for change. “If we all have to fall on our sword, I am prepared to do it,” Gerard said. “The club is bigger than any of us. People have to stand up and make a call on this stuff for our club. I have always been somebody for my club and the game.

“We have a bigger responsibility to the game. If that means everybody has to go with an administrator, that means everybody has to go. I am supportive of Steve Sharp asking the minister to put an administrator in because we need to close the chapter on what has happened over the last two or three months.

“The club needs it and our supporters demand it.”

Sharp penned a letter to leagues club members over the weekend appealing for the government to take over the running of the leagues club — it has the power to do so under section 41A of the Registered Clubs Act, which allows ILGA to remove a board and appoint a temporary administrator.

The latest developments come at a crucial time for the football club, which is locked in contract negotiations with five-eighth Corey Norman and attempting to re-sign cross-code superstar Jarryd Hayne.

“Sometimes you have to make the hard calls,” Gerard said.

“This is one of them. Steve, myself and, I believe, Pete Serrao are happy to make that call. We have been around the club for many years..

“My fear is it will continue to spiral downward. We have a great coach and I have always said we should be supporting him. He has put steel back into our club.

“Our supporters love him. This team has been let down and they have to go out with the confidence that the back room is doing the right thing. The club has been put under stress financially with the fine and losing a couple of sponsors.

“Without a CEO and a head of football, our football department has been legless. That’s all I’m saying. We need to move forward. If that is drawing a line in the sand and removing this current board, we need to do that.”

Gerard urged the NRL to take action against player managers and officials who were involved and yet to be sanctioned. He also defended his role as a member of the board during the salary cap scandal. “If it is kept away from you then you don't know,” he said. “Am I disappointed about what has gone on? Bloody oath I am. But I can assure you if I had known what went on, I would have tried to do something about it.

“Yes, I have been tangled up by association being on the board. I have to take responsibility that I was on the board when some of this stuff happened.

“We need a board that is going to function properly and we need a board that is not scared to make the tough decisions. That is the only way forward for our club because we’re on the precipice of becoming a big powerhouse again.

“We all want that.”

hybrideel

Bench
So supergrass on Triple M this morning said Greenberg called in a favour from Mike Baird after backing his stadiums proposal in order to get the board sacked. Supposedly because he is worried that the saga is tarnishing the games image but if this is true some alterior motives must be in play there

Chipmunk

Coach
So supergrass on Triple M this morning said Greenberg called in a favour from Mike Baird after backing his stadiums proposal in order to get the board sacked. Supposedly because he is worried that the saga is tarnishing the games image but if this is true some alterior motives must be in play there

Who is supergrass?

Oscarman

Juniors
Just a little bit too convenient that sacking the board and appointing an administrator stops our appeal against the points reduction and fine from going ahead. Just like adding three years worth of 'dodgy' TPAs to one years salary cap. I guess if they were added to each year it would have been a bit of a stretch to say we were over the cap by anywhere near as much eh Todd?

phantom eel

First Grade
So the media were championing the sacking of the Board, Saturday they get what they want with the Minister being invited to take over and now they are giving airtime to factions scaremongering ?
Welcome to the 24/7 news cycle, in which our club is a mereplaything for the media's quest for clickbait. They knew they could get a lot of rolling coverage with the stories on us, but with the administrator option they must sense that it's nearing an end.

Coincidently I see Rothfield started off about the Dragons in today's paper... so maybe we'll be off the hook in a few weeks?

ash411

Bench
Most of the time, Journalists will submit anything they are given by pretty much anyone, as long it isn't out and out slanderous. So if someone comes to them with a "Story" they'll be happy to accept a pre-written copy from them as it means they don't have to do any work, and they get paid for the story.

Journalists used to have integrity, but I've heard a journalist say "If you pay me enough I'll print (or not print) what ever you want me to".

It's pretty sad these days.

phantom eel

First Grade
Agreed Ash.

I just lol at the remaining rump of our board now focussing on "due process" etc instead of putting their hands up to say "we f**ked up" on TPAs, the Premiership Club, inflated invoices, car park cash payments etc on our watch.

Dibs

Bench
Most of the time, Journalists will submit anything they are given by pretty much anyone, as long it isn't out and out slanderous. So if someone comes to them with a "Story" they'll be happy to accept a pre-written copy from them as it means they don't have to do any work, and they get paid for the story.

Journalists used to have integrity, but I've heard a journalist say "If you pay me enough I'll print (or not print) what ever you want me to".

It's pretty sad these days.
That's an interesting idea. We could all chip in to have a journo print some shit about Greenburgs integrity and why he wants to avoid the appeals process

ash411

Bench
Agreed Ash.

I just lol at the remaining rump of our board now focussing on "due process" etc instead of putting their hands up to say "we f**ked up" on TPAs, the Premiership Club, inflated invoices, car park cash payments etc on our watch.
Yep, agreed, hopefully, soon enough it won't matter and they can whinge about due process on the way out the door.

strider

Post Whore
That's an interesting idea. We could all chip in to have a journo print some shit about Greenburgs integrity and why he wants to avoid the appeals process
I think the journos are too scared to go at him ... fear of being blacklisted by the nrl ... these journos may no longer be privy to all the leaks they have come to enjoy

born an eel

Bench
also interesting that there's a game on in Perth but Greenberg is in the NT where our biggest sponsor is when news of bringing in an administrator breaks.

The "blackmail" that Sharp is mentioning may come from unexpected locations.

Kornstar

Coach
I think the journos are too scared to go at him ... fear of being blacklisted by the nrl ... these journos may no longer be privy to all the leaks they have come to enjoy

The f**ker hasn't blocked me on Twitter yet. I question his integrity constantly, still no block. I'll keep trying though.